Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

first time 2018/3/28 21:22
first time to japan for 10 night. a lot of questions..

Tokyo 3 - hakone 1 - takayama 1 - shirakawago 1 - kanazawa - Kyoto 3 - Osaka 1

do I need JR pass, I use calculator to check, if I not use it for Tokyo airport express, it will not cover the cost, and I need leave kanazawa to Kyoto on day 7 for last day pass. so I c't stay 2 night in takayama (is 1 night enough), if I move 1 night from Tokyo to takayma, will it not enough for Tokyo?

is JR pass include takayaa-shirakawago-kanazawa bus fee.
do I need to buy 2 days pass for hakone, because need transport to takayama next day.
do I take bus from Tokyo direct to Mt Juji 5 station easier or use Jr pass to hakone by train.

do I need buy JR west pass for Kyoto-Osaka-Osaka airport.

hope you can help, thanks
by go to swim  

Re: first time 2018/3/29 09:33
is JR pass include takayaa-shirakawago-kanazawa bus fee.

No. I don't think the JR pass pays off for your itinerary. Rather I would take the following route.

Airport (Narita or Haneda) to central Tokyo. There are many ways to do so, you should search them (1000-3500 yen).
Tokyo to Hakone. Cheaper way is to take Odakyu from Shinkuku to Odawara (about 1000 yen).
Hakone free pass 2 day (4000 yen).
Odawara to Nagoya by Shinkansen (about 9000 yen).
Takayama-Hokuriku area tourist pass (14000 yen including bus from Takayama to Shirakawago then Kanazawa).
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_takayama_hokuriku.html
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: first time 2018/3/29 22:09
thank you.

I go on July, is bus can direct from Tokyo to mt.fugi 5 station, will it quicker and easier.
by go to swim rate this post as useful

Re: first time 2018/3/30 05:51
can direct from Tokyo to mt.fugi 5 station, will it quicker and easier.

Are you planning to climb Mt Fuji? If so you might better book a mountain hut and sleep one night there. Do prepare for the climbing (shoes, clothes etc.). Yes there is direct bus.

https://highway-buses.jp/course/fuji-5th.php

You can see the timetable here (click "Reservation").

Re: first time 2018/3/30 16:17
Hakone 1 night - takayama 2 night - shirakawyago 1 night - kanazawa train to kyto

will it not enough time in Hakone just 1 night, do I need move 1 night from takayama.
but ryokan in Hakone seem expensive for 2 nights.

I will go Hakone from Tokyo early morning, 6pm need arrive ryokan for dinner.
next day do I still need spend morning in there? but I take 5 hours train to takayama rylkan 6pm dinner.
it seem very tight.. do I need hire car will save time.

can you recommend any good budget ryokan in Hakonek and takayama?

can you help me .

Re: first time 2018/3/30 17:10
Hakone 1 night - takayama 2 night - shirakawyago 1 night - kanazawa train to kyto

What about Fuji 5th station? I am confused. Do you think Bus to Fuji 5th station is a short cut for Hakone? If so, no you might better just go to Hakone directly. Odakyu train from Shinjuku will take you to Odawara, entrance of Hakone area. After Odawara, you can do loop tour for Hakone.

will it not enough time in Hakone just 1 night, do I need move 1 night from takayama.
but ryokan in Hakone seem expensive for 2 nights. I will go Hakone from Tokyo early morning, 6pm need arrive ryokan for dinner.
next day do I still need spend morning in there? but I take 5 hours train to takayama rylkan 6pm dinner.

Many people do 1 night in Hakone and then move to somewhere. If you leave Odawara at 10:08 you will arrive Takayama at 14:18. This might be the fastest connection. Well some people do Hakone trip as a day tour from Tokyo, so this is doable I think. But it depends on the person.

can you recommend any good budget ryokan in Hakonek and takayama?

I can't recommend any specific ryokan, but you might be able to find it at Tripadvisor or Trivago.

Re: first time 2018/3/31 00:16
thanks

yes, some people said have bus direct to 5 station in summer, so I thought is short cut, ok, I go by train.

is 10 am that train is fast train? if stay in Hakone little longer and leave about 12pm, will train arrive at Takayama at 4pm? do I need buy ticket first when I arrive airport?

Re: first time 2018/3/31 06:59
is 10 am that train is fast train? if stay in Hakone little longer and leave about 12pm, will train arrive at Takayama at 4pm? do I need buy ticket first when I arrive airport?

10:08 - 14:18 (see route 1)

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=ODAWARA&arv_nod...

12:08 - 17:14 (see route 1)

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=ODAWARA&arv_nod...

The difference of traveling time is basically comes from the difference of transfer time at Nagoya station. You might consider which is better, 2 hours more in Hakone and 3 hours less in Takayama or the opposite.

Re: first time 2018/3/31 07:50
thank you very much for your help.

do I need to buy all ticket when I arrive airport and reserve seat?

how long from Tokyo to Hakone, people said need 3 hours, when is the early transport?

Re: first time 2018/3/31 09:25
do I need to buy all ticket when I arrive airport and reserve seat?

how long from Tokyo to Hakone, people said need 3 hours, when is the early transport?

You can buy/exchange Takayama Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass at Tokyo and Shinagawa from April this year.

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_takayama_hokuriku.html

After that you can reserve any seats the pass covers. Actually, from Odawara to Nagoya, buy ticket and the reserved or unreserved Shinkansen ticket at any JR stations (maybe around Tokyo area) and show your Takayama Hokuriku Area Tourist Pass and ask the reserved seat for Nagoya to Takayama.

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=SHINJUKU(JR)&ar...

This is the route from Shinjuku (in Tokyo area) to Odawara using Odakyu line. If you take limited express, it will be 59-75 min (Route 1, 2 and 5) while if you want to save the limited express fare, it will take 100-107 min (Route 3 and 4).

Re: first time 2018/3/31 19:39
thank you.

when I arrive Hakone, is Y station staff help to transport luggage to hotel free of charge, how to do with the luggage before we start Hakone trip.

when is the early time for express train to Hakone from Tokyo.

Re: first time 2018/3/31 22:14
Y station staff help to transport luggage to hotel free of charge, how to do with the luggage before we start Hakone trip.

when is the early time for express train to Hakone from Tokyo.

Sorry but I have never heard of the service of Y station (I don't know neither) so I can't say nothing about this. If you want travel Hakone without luggage you can send it from your Tokyo accommodation to your Takayama or even Kyoto accommodations (around 2000 yen per piece).

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=SHINJUKU(JR)&ar...

Change date and the time according to your actual itinerary.

reply to this thread