Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Osaka to shimanami kaido & back in 1 day 2018/3/31 11:27
I'm wondering if it would be possible to travel from Osaka to do the shimanami kaido cycle route and back to Osaka in the one day or are we being too ambitious? If so how would we manage this transport wise. Will have a JR pass.
by Cavmas (guest)  

Re: Osaka to shimanami kaido & back in 1 day 2018/3/31 16:07
I guess it depends on how fast you cycle or how far you want to cycle. Experienced cyclists can do the entire route both ways in a day, about 140 km.
Less experienced cyclists can do a part of the route and then return by bus.

http://www.go-shimanami.jp/download/cycling/cycling_map_en.pdf

Google maps will tell you first and last train from/to Osaka. Also consider that the Shinkansen station isnft close to the port.

Enjoy: http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.nl/2017/11/part-10-day-48-49-riding...
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka to shimanami kaido & back in 1 day 2018/3/31 16:57
@Likebike is correct. All questions about the Shimanami Kaido depend on how fast you ride. If you are on your own bike then no problem but if you have a rental mamachari then one way would be plenty. If you do just ride to Imabari bear in mind that the train from there to Osaka takes about 3.5 hours.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka to shimanami kaido & back in 1 day 2018/3/31 18:50

In theory, you could do that, you just need to paddle "like mad" to reach the station in time to catch the train back to OSAKA.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka to shimanami kaido & back in 1 day 2018/3/31 22:20
Thanks for the insights. Sounds like we would do better to stay the night somewhere closer!! Any suggestions?
by Cavmas (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka to shimanami kaido & back in 1 day 2018/4/1 00:07
Onomichi is an obvious choice!
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka to shimanami kaido & back in 1 day 2018/4/1 02:52
The complication is that there are not really quick public transport links between the two ends of the route. If you are going to ride both ways then Onomichi would be a fabulous place to stay. However every time I have tried to book a hotel there they have always either been booked solid or too expensive. If you only want to ride one way then there are buses that can get you back to the start although not many of them. See this page https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3478.html Another option would be to stay in Okayama or Takamatsu for a couple of nights as the train links go that way. Both are nice places with a famous garden that is well worth a visit.

The problem with plans like this is that you are at the mercy of the weather. What will you do if it rains that day? I always stay in one location for several days so I can adjust my schedule if rain is forecast.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

reply to this thread