Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Move to Japan for 1-2 years in 18 months time 2018/4/4 17:39
Hi All,

Myself and my wife are really keen to move to japan for 1-2 years around January 2020. I have been to japan 4 times and we spent a month there last Christmas and had the best times of our lives. We really want to live in japan before we have children.

I am hoping i can still work at my current job remotely while living in Japan. My wife is a primary school teacher with a small amount of japanese knowledge but we plan to learn more japanese before we go.

I had a few questions
1. I will be paid to my Australian Bank account each month. Is there an easy way to transfer this to Yen and not lose heaps in transfer rates?
2. Will my wife be able to get a teaching job even though its only for primary schools? She has a teachers degree and has done a few additional courses.
3. Do we need a sponsor/guarantor?
4. We have a mortgage which we think we can easily rent to cover the costs. Does this complicate the Visa at all?

Thanks so much guys. This forum looks really informative
by letyjapan (guest)  

Re: Move to Japan for 1-2 years in 18 months time 2018/4/4 19:30
At this point it's unclear what kind of visa you could get; you need to research that. There is no I-want-to-live-in-Japan visa.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Move to Japan for 1-2 years in 18 months time 2018/4/4 19:42
I'm not sure working remotely has a visa that applies to that kinda of work. As they deem that you don't need to be in Japan for that work for example.

Wife's teaching job. You would need to research this as to what she can and cannot do in schools/kindergardens etc and most likely would need to find a sponser.

House being rented out back home shouldn't factor into visa equation.

As Firas has said, you need to do some research. Start with the immigration website.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Move to Japan for 1-2 years in 18 months time 2018/4/4 23:09
As said, first findout what sort of visa you need and then plan your move from there.
Have a read on the link below.
https://www.reddit.com/r/movingtojapan/wiki/visas
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Move to Japan for 1-2 years in 18 months time 2018/4/5 01:14
I agree with PPs that type of visa is the first thing to decide. Probably your wife has a chance to find a job as an English teacher (ALT or similar). But she first needs to find a job and then apply for the visa. You could then get a dependent visa.

To your first question, (also not really a priority at this moment), a) you could monitor exchange rates over the next years and exchange money then when it is favorable for you and keep it in Yen or b) have a look at Transferwise.

Enjoy researching for your life in Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread