Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shikoku - is this a doable itinerary? 2018/4/8 09:28
I apologize if this is a duplicate question. However, I could not find my original posting, so I am posting it again.
First of all, I would like to thank all of you in helping me in my planning of Kyushu for 10 days ( Revised 10 days instead of 7 days in Kyushu). This is the second part of our trip. From Kyushu, we will head to Shikoku. We will be in Shikoku at the end of November till early December. I am hoping to still be able to see some fall colors. From what I have read, it seems that on the high mountains, autumn colors already are starting in September.
Do you think that there will be more fall colors in Shikoku than Kyushu? If that is the case, I will then reverse my itinerary and visit Shikoku first in mid November, then do Kyushu in late November to early December.
Anyhow, this is my planned itinerary for Shikoku:

Day 1-2 Arrive via ferry from Beppu, drive to Matsuyama.
Day 3 Shikoku Karst.
Day 4 Kochi.
Day 5 Iya Valley.
Day 6-7 Tokushima.
Day 8-9 Takamatsu.
Dy 10 Okayama, then Osaka.
Day 11 Fly off from Osaka.

A huge thank you for your help in advance. Any suggestions are appreciated.
by Dopeybear  

Re: Shikoku - is this a doable itinerary? 2018/4/8 21:29
Doable, definitely.
Ifd probably take at least 1 of the 4 days youfre allocating to Tokushima and Takamatsu and spend it in Okayama or Kochi, but maybe you have specific plans for those places which will take 2 days in each place?
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Shikoku - is this a doable itinerary? 2018/4/9 05:35
I would relocate Okayama, it isn't the closest city to Osaka, so it shouldn't be done last.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Shikoku - is this a doable itinerary? 2018/4/9 06:18
Thank you both of your invaluable advise.
I will allot an extra day in Kochi, for sure, thinking of spending a day in Kochi city and also Katsurahama Beach. I would like to go to Muroto as well.

The reason I put Okayama in my last day is that I am thinking of the Budget rent a car program call the " pilgramage passport" I am not sure whether they still offer that. It is supposed to be free drop off charge either in any of the cities where they have offices in Shikoku, or in Okayama. I just have to figure what works best for the 6 of us and decide. Thanks for bringing that up.
by Dopeybear rate this post as useful

Re: Shikoku - is this a doable itinerary? 2018/4/9 09:14
Spent two nights in Takamatsu last week, then drive to Iya Valley and dropped car off in Tokushima (before taking ferry to Wakayama).
Even though the two nights in Takamatsu were the first nights in Japan following a 12 hour flight - so we were quite jet lagged- I think two days there would possibly be a day too much (unless you plan to go to some places nearby).
From the quick look around and the bit of research I did in advance, Ifd say the same about Tokushima. Therefs a good website in English about visiting Tokushima, if you havenft already found it https://discovertokushima.net/en/

Re: Shikoku - is this a doable itinerary? 2018/4/10 08:33
For the days I am in Tokushima, I am planning to see the Naruto whirlpool and also drive the car to Awaji Island. Since I will be driving from Iya Valley ( 2 hours ) that day, I figure we will go and visit Mt. Konpira after lunch and simply relax for the rest of the day. The next day, we will then go and see the whirlpool and also Awaji Island. However, if half a day is enough to do both of the event, then spending only one night at Tokushima will work.

As for Takamatsu, I plan to see the Ritsurin Garden, and Shikoku Mura Village for the first day, and then on the second day, take the ferry to visit Noashima Island. I hope the it will be interesting seeing the island and all the art work.

Any suggestions regarding the above planning are really welcome. Thanks to all of you nice folks.

Re: Shikoku - is this a doable itinerary? 2018/4/10 11:57
I would not recommend Shikoku Mura Village. It is small and very run down, even the cafe looks very tired. No need to allocate one day for visiting, 1 and 1/2 hour is enough. And if you go by car, do not follow the GPS which may lead you to a small toll road on the right side, head towards the left side for parking. I went to Naoshima (from Uno port) and Shodoshima (from Takamatsu port) last December, I did not find the artwork very interesting, but I think the Naoshima town hall is very beautiful.

by Michang (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shikoku - is this a doable itinerary? 2018/4/10 13:14
Michang, your referring to the green western/Meiji era building at Shikoku Mura, but there is also a thatch roof Japanese farmhouse building (you take stairs down and there is a water wheel) and there is an udon restaurant in the thatch roof building which is very neat looking inside and has a good atmosphere and Kagawa specific udon called bukkake, if you order the large of the bukkake one it is a really really big bowl. One warning is the white paste blob on top of the udon is radish so if you don't like radish just scoop that white paste blob out of your udon do not mix it in the udon which my friend did and she didn't like it since the radish overpowered the taste. So do not listen to Michang as Michang is only referring to a western tea style cafe at Shikoku Mura but there is an udon restaurant at the Shikoku mura too which has a very good traditional Japanese farmhouse atmosphere, just look for the stairs with the waterwheel and thatch roof building in the parking lot area at the beginning of the place.
by shikoku (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shikoku - is this a doable itinerary? 2018/4/10 13:22
Also in Tokushima there is the Awa Odori museum in downtown Tokushima. And I have to say there is not a whole lot of stuff on Awaji island, other than a monkey center which is down a narrow beaten path road. If I were you I would spend more time in Ehime since you seem to be only spending a night in Matsuyama and leaving already like Uwajima city and Ashizuri cape instead of Awaji island which is a pretty hollow island, the food in Uwajima is really delicious compared to Awaji from my own personal experience and the cape has lovely views and a glass floor on a boat to view the sea creatures.

Re: Shikoku - is this a doable itinerary? 2018/4/10 13:51
here is information on the udon restaurant in the thatch roof in the parking lot of Shikoku Mura: https://tabelog.com/en/kagawa/A3701/A370101/37000057/

Re: Shikoku - is this a doable itinerary? 2018/4/10 15:36
i can agree, the restaurant shikoku mentions is great. they also have superb craft beer.

about the village itself i can not tell much, since it was already closed when i reached it, but it looked nice from outside the walls
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Shikoku - is this a doable itinerary? 2018/4/10 20:41
Re Awaji- there was a really good programme on NHK World recently, all about the island.

It will be available on the web on demand. I think it was either journeys in Japan or J Trip Plan. Therefs also the Tadao Ando hotel complex there. (Ifve never visited the island, but would like to - it just didnft fit into our trip this time).

Also, if youfre going to Naoshima, and are not bothered about Awaji, then I guess youfve already worked out that you could leave the car in Takamatsu and go on the foot ferry from there to Naoshima, and leave Naoshima on the ferry to Uno?

Re: Shikoku - is this a doable itinerary? 2018/4/12 06:31
I have noted all the great suggestions and will work on the itinerary again. So lucky to have all of you responses. Thanks.

reply to this thread