Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How much can I bring back from Japan? 2018/4/9 04:55
I'm from Toronto, Ontario in Canada. I plan on taking a trip to Japan next year for two weeks and I plan on buying a lot of stuff. Specifically, I plan on spending $3000 on manga, music albums, and clothing (while squeezing in a couple of small things) in addition to having money saved for public transit, food and hotel.

I wanted to ask whether or not if I'm able to bring back that much money's worth of items back with me to Canada, and if not, is there an alternative to get them home (i.e shipping options)?

I also want to know of any good cheap hotels to stay in and places to visit (hot springs, restaurants, cafes, activities, historical monuments, etc.). I don't plan on just going to Tokyo.

Any other tips to prepare myself for my trip is appreciated. Thanks.
by King93  

Re: How much can I bring back from Japan? 2018/4/9 10:00
Whether you can bring that much of goods into Canada (without paying customs duties, is what you mean, I assume) is up to Canadian customs issue, not Japan's.

Even if you ship them, sure that might save you the hassle of carrying the goods, but the postal service of Canada, upon inspection, might decide to charge you import duties.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: How much can I bring back from Japan? 2018/4/9 11:43
The limit for travel outside of Canada is $800.00. The amount they may charge in Customs fees depends on what you're bringing back, how much you are bringing back, and what you have chosen to ship back. As the other poster has indicated, items shipped via Japan Post may still be charged Customs fees on delivery. If you are planning on bringing back a lot of heavy items, luggage fees will also factor into that cost.

There's more info here: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/bgb-rmf-eng.html
by Amyranth rate this post as useful

Re: How much can I bring back from Japan? 2018/4/11 17:29
To the second part of your question:
"I also want to know of any good cheap hotels to stay in and places to visit (hot springs, restaurants, cafes, activities, historical monuments, etc.). I don't plan on just going to Tokyo."

To me, Japan is a cornucopia of delights and experiences - the problem is that there are too many good things to choose from. Have a llok at the "interests' part of this website to get some ideas. Either choose a location or a topic and follow it down the rabbit hole!

What is a good hotel to one person is a bad hotel to another. My parents might think business hotels are great because they are cheap, spotless, efficient, and located close to public transport. I might think that think a minshuku is great because it is cheap, quirky, allows interaction with members of a family, and I get to see a little of normal life. To each other, our choices are not good from our perspectives.

To me the accommodation is part of the experience - choose wisely, and every waking moment adds to your experience of Japan. That may be worth paying a little more for, but doesn;t have to. 'Good' = experience, 'cheap' is proportional to my value of the experience.

by insecteater rate this post as useful

Re: How much can I bring back from Japan? 2018/4/11 21:34
I also want to know of any good cheap hotels to stay in and places to visit (hot springs, restaurants, cafes, activities, historical monuments, etc.). I don't plan on just going to Tokyo.

What's your definition of cheap?

As for places to visit start here: https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e623a.html
by curious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread