Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kansai Wide Area Pass 2018/4/9 21:03
Hi!

I plan to purchase the 5 days Kansai WIDE Area Pass to be used for:
23 November - KIX from Kansai Airport to Kyoto.
24 November - JR Nara Line Rapid Service from Kyoto to Uji and return.
25 November - Kyoto to Kurashiki via Okayama.
26 November - Kurashiki to Kyoto via Okayama.
After the 26 November I plan to stay put in Kyoto until my return to Kansai Airport on the 30 November. I know I'd waste a full day traveling with the pass this way but there are so much things to see and do in Kyoto!

Anyway, just want to confirm that the pass is really worth it being only \9000 (online purchase) as I would have to pay \17k+ just for the return trip to kurashiki and the 1 way in from Kansai..?

Secondly, I read that even though there are direct Shinkansens between Kyoto and Okayama, the pass doesn't cover the Shinkansen journey between Kyoto and Shin-Osaka??? Does this mean I will need to catch a slower train between Kyoto and Shin-Osaka like JR Ltd Service, Ltd Exp Haruka, Ltd Exp Thunderbird, then once at Shin-Osaka, change to the Shinkansen?

Thirdly, as long as I don't get the reserved seats on the Ltd Exp and Shinkansen, there is no additional charges?

Tq, Mel
by Melanie Putra  

Re: Kansai Wide Area Pass 2018/4/10 17:29
》》Anyway, just want to confirm that the pass is really worth it being only \9000 (online purchase) as I would have to pay \17k+ just for the return trip to kurashiki and the 1 way in from Kansai..?

We used this pass last month and went to Kurashiki too. Yes it was really worth it. A return between Shin-Osaka and Okayama on Nozomi unreserved is already Y11,000

》》Does this mean I will need to catch a slower train between Kyoto and Shin-Osaka like JR Ltd Service, Ltd Exp Haruka, Ltd Exp Thunderbird, then once at Shin-Osaka, change to the Shinkansen?

Yes. There are also rapid services which are faster than the local service. But the passenger load between Kyoto and Shin-Osaka was pretty heavy at most times (based on our experiences on local and rapid services).

The pass comes in a credit card size ticket which you slot in at each entrance / exit barriers (except through manned barrier at Takamatsu). Therefore you will not able to go through the Shinkansen entrance at Kyoto (which you can at Shin-Osaka and Okayama)

》》Thirdly, as long as I don't get the reserved seats on the Ltd Exp and Shinkansen, there is no additional charges?

We had no problem getting seats at unreserved cars on the two trips ie Shin-Osaka - Himeji and Shin-Osaka - Okayama. However we opt to pay additional fares for reserved seats from Kyoto to Kansai Airport (additional fare will be the seat fee as per Hyperdia). Based on a past experience the unreserved cars on the Haruka can be quite packed.
by CaiDY rate this post as useful

Re: Kansai Wide Area Pass 2018/4/10 19:15
Hi CaiDY,

Thanks for your response. I taking the haruka very early into Kyoto (ETA 5:40am) then my return from Kyoto to Kansai Airport will probably be around 8pm (Will stay the night at the airport due to early morning ETD). Hopefully can get seat on unreserved carriage 🙏

Did you stay in Kurashiki or Okayama? I prefer and had booked Kurashiki since it's nice to stay near the Kurashiki Historical Center (Can go back to the room for a break if needed) but I also intend to visit the garden at Okayama.. Meaning check in to hotel at Kurashiki for the night. Spend time along the canal. Next day leave luggage at the hotel and take the train to Okayama. Once done with the garden, back to Kurashiki to collect our luggage and return to Kyoto.. Too much hassles? 🤔

Tq, Mel
by Melanie Putra rate this post as useful

Re: Kansai Wide Area Pass 2018/4/10 22:59
》》 Did you stay in Kurashiki or Okayama?

We didn't stay in neither as Kurashiki was a last minute decision on the way back from daytrip to Takamatsu via Okayama. We were based in Kyoto for 5 nights then.

》》 Too much hassles?

It's like 20 minutes apart with frequent train services. However, although walkable, Bikan Historical Area is some distance away from Kurashiki Station.

If to choose between Okayama and Kurashiki, I will prefer Okayama. Think will be more lively at night. Bikan Historical Area and the shopping arcade was pretty much deserted by 6pm based on our limited experience with that area.

Alternatively, one of my favourite services in Japan ie takkyubin. Send your luggage upon check out and will be in your hotel in Kyoto by tomorrow.

I noticed you are going back to Kyoto again. If you are staying in the same hotel then most likely they will keep for you after the first check out.
by CaiDY rate this post as useful

Re: Kansai Wide Area Pass 2018/4/10 23:15
Hi CaiDY,

Thanks for your input. Will consider. I may push Kurashiki/Okayama to the end (the last night before my stay at Kansai Airport). My lodging in Kyoto is small and they may not appreciate us vacating the rooms for merely a night to go away since they probably can't sell those rooms for just a night.. Later they tell us we are not welcome back, let alone happily storing our luggage, and we will be up €£%# creek 😅. Also, someone recommends if our purpose in Kyoto is for Koyo, we should push Kurashiki to the end of the trip..

Re: Kansai Wide Area Pass 2018/4/12 10:08
There is a website showing the current operation of the limousine buses.

https://highway-bus.bus-navigation.jp/wgsys_hw/wgp/directionSelect.htm...

I saw it twice and each time it says the bus from Kyoto to Itami is operating "on time" (shown in blue). I am not sure whether this website is reliable though.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Kansai Wide Area Pass 2018/4/12 11:28
Hi frog1954,

Sorry, I don’t understand about the bus? Are you suggesting I take the bus to Itami Airport? I’m flying from Kansai.. Will get the Kansai Wide Area Pass..

reply to this thread