Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo/Kyoto with 19-year-old son 2018/4/11 22:09
Please comment on my itinerary. We would like a medium-paced trip, and I'm not certain where I may have over or under-scheduled. My son is interested in seeing "cool things", especially technology, so we're flexible with our scheduled. Your time and suggestions are much appreciated. Thank you!

Day 1: Arrive in Tokyo from US in late afternoon and check into lodging in Shibuya.
May need a short nap, explore streets of Shibuya, Spain Slope, Shibuya Crossing, Hachiko
Statue.

Day 2: Meiji Shrine
Yoyogi Park
Harajuku
Omotesando + Omotesando Hills

Day 3: Ueno Park
Senso-Ji Temple

Day 4: Tsukiji Fish Market
Ginza
Akihabara
Tokyo Skytree

Day 5: Metropolitan Government Building
Omoide Yokocho
Samurai Museum
Shinjuku Gyoen Garden

Day 6: Arrive in Kyoto and drop off luggage by 12:00 afternoonT
Nishiki Market
Fushimi Inari Shrine
Gion Neighborhood

Day 7: Eastern Kyoto
Ginkakuji Temple
Philosopherfs Path
Nanzen-ji Temple
Heian Shrine, Yasaka Shrine - optional
Kodaiji
Higashiyama Streets
Kiyomizu-dera Temple

Day 8: Northern Kyoto in morning
Kinkaku-ji Temple
Ryoan-ji Temple
Ninna-ji Temple (optional)
Arashiyama in the afternoon
Tenryu-ji temple + Bamboo grove
Togetsukyo Bridge
Arashiyama Monkey Park
by bcm64  

Re: Tokyo/Kyoto with 19-year-old son 2018/4/12 15:53
You Tokyo days are quite slow for some while your Kyoto days are all quite rushed. I'd take a day off Tokyo and add it to Kyoto.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo/Kyoto with 19-year-old son 2018/4/12 16:28
Your Kyoto days are filled with numerous temples that will all blur together in your mind, while there's an incredible amount of interesting and varied sightseeing to do for a young person in Tokyo. I'd say take a day off Kyoto and add it to Tokyo.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo/Kyoto with 19-year-old son 2018/4/12 19:10
I don't really see much related to "technology" except for maybe Akihabara. Perhaps he can deviate and visit science museums on his own. Here are some examples:

http://www.miraikan.jst.go.jp/en/
http://www.jsf.or.jp/eng/
https://www.tripadvisor.jp/Attractions-g298184-Activities-c49-t35-Toky...
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo/Kyoto with 19-year-old son 2018/4/12 23:59
I agree with PP, that Kyoto days might be a bit too rushed. The Tokyo days sound fine. What I would try is to leave in the evening of your last Tokyo day to Kyoto. This will give you an other half day in Kyoto. The last train from Tokyo to Kyoto leaves around 21:00. So you can have sightseeing all day and then catch the Shinkansen (if you go for the last train, I suggest reserving seats).

Then you can check in that evening and next morning you are already in Kyoto and can start with your touristic visit.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo/Kyoto with 19-year-old son 2018/4/13 01:02
I don't know if Panasonic still has a technology center in Odaiba, but it seems Odaiba isn't on your itinerary as it is....
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo/Kyoto with 19-year-old son 2018/4/13 01:11
At 19, I would probably leave your son wander around alone in Tokyo for a day or two and he can go to all the "cool" place, like Akihabara, Harajuku ... and get lost there. And you can go to Meiji shrine, museums and the like in the meantime.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo/Kyoto with 19-year-old son 2018/4/13 09:25
All of your suggestions are very helpful, and I will keep them all in mind and tweak my itinerary accordingly.
Thank you so much everyone!
by bcm64 rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo/Kyoto with 19-year-old son 2018/4/13 09:57
Hello again!

Would it make sense to get a JR pass for this itinerary? I'll be doing a little more research about include more sights in Tokyo, and determining if adding a day in Tokyo would be necessary. Thank you!

Re: Tokyo/Kyoto with 19-year-old son 2018/4/13 12:28
JR pass wont be suitable.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo/Kyoto with 19-year-old son 2018/4/13 13:42
You don't need a JR Pass.

Here are some more science and tech-related sights in Tokyo: http://whereintokyo.com/dbinx/scitech.html

And in case either of you is interested in anime, manga or pop culture: http://whereintokyo.com/dbinx/popcult.html

by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo/Kyoto with 19-year-old son 2018/4/13 21:37
19 yr old son, and hefs lucky enough to have you take him to Japan...
If hefs not doing his own research then tough on him if he doesnft like the places youfve planned to go.
Therefs a Peter Carey book about him travelling to Japan with (IIRC) his 15 yr old son whofs interested in manga anime and tech- might be a good read for your adult child?
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo/Kyoto with 19-year-old son 2018/4/13 21:46
I've got to agree that there is not too much in the current schedule to do with tech and the like. There is also a strong possibility that your son (and yourself) will probably get templed out after a couple of days in Kyoto with the number you are visiting.

I do not know you and your son, but from my personal experience traveling with my parents/family having one day independently of each other towards the end of a trip can work wonders. Strangely both my sister and parents most magical days were just strolling around getting lost in either Tokyo or Kyoto...
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo/Kyoto with 19-year-old son 2018/4/17 20:16
Thank you again very much for your input and time everyone! My son is now being proactive in the planning, and doing his own research.

Re: Tokyo/Kyoto with 19-year-old son 2018/4/21 15:19
Are you flying home from Kansai airport, or returning to Tokyo for your departure? If you must return to Tokyo, the pass might be worthwhile (or close - especially if you want seat reservations).
by rkoo rate this post as useful

reply to this thread