Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

If I wish to live in japan after I retire 2018/4/12 03:48
I am nearly 40 and I retire at 60 with my government job in the UK

I live in a freehold house and when mycosrehts pass away I will also get there house

I will get a very good lump sum of £100,00 plus £16,000 per month and pension at 60 plus I am saving money in L.I.S.A savings where I hope to have about £60,000 minimum

Also I can sell both houses to buy one or rent both houses in the UK to live in japan but I rather buy my own house there

I ainft in a relationship so If i married so depending if I do if my wife wants to move with me or if she is younger she might not get her pension when she retires or hell I could get divorced and lose it all or I get things can change

But if i get to retire the way I want will I be allowed to live in Japan ? Or cause I am British I wonft be allowed to buy a house in japan etc etc
by Abhi B  

Re: If I wish to live in japan after I retire 2018/4/12 11:23
But if i get to retire the way I want will I be allowed to live in Japan ?
Well, you simply can't because Japan does not have a "retirement visa" like Thailand or Malaysia for example. To be honest, I don't think they will create one anytime soon because they already have their own share of elderly persons and they have a lot of them, a lot. Bringing more and especially from abroad is not a reasonable option and the actual situation is already problematic.

Or cause I am British I wonft be allowed to buy a house in japan etc etc
There are not particular privileges for British or any other nationality. Any foreigner with money can buy a house, or two or even fifty, it just does not give you the right to live in the country. There is no link between owning a house and getting a visa. You can stay 180 days in Japan with a British passport but that's all you can get.

PS: I just checked the rules in UK and you have pretty much the same they have in Japan. Owning a house does not help you get a UK visa and the British government used to have a special entrance category for gretired persons of independent meansh (defined as those having a minimum yearly disposable income of £25,000), but that was discontinued.
by M (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: If I wish to live in japan after I retire 2018/4/13 00:54
By retire you of course mean live in Japan and not work. The only easy way I can think of is if you had a wife with Japanese citizenship. As the previous poster said, owning property does not buy the right to reside in Japan. What can buy the right to reside is owning a business. And since you have money the only hurdle would be pulling the trigger on a business plan that the Japanese government views as viable. Itfs not retirement I know, but it would probably enable you to still live a slower, more relaxing lifestyle than your current position in the civil service. It depends on what your priorities are in 20 years; living in Japan, or living the life of a retired person.

And speaking of 20 years from now, policy can and does change. Maybe things will be different either for better or worse. Maybe you can just retire in Japan after all, or maybe the situation is worse than it currently is. Who knows? Whatever the case the only guarantee is that any advice you receive now regarding the matter is not going to be 100% accurate by the time you retire.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: If I wish to live in japan after I retire 2018/4/13 08:44
I am living in Japan for long time, and I believe I can say there are much better places in the world for retirement. There are really no extra benefits in Japan. Even in Europe things are arranged better.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: If I wish to live in japan after I retire 2018/4/13 10:34
If I were you I recommend somewhere else in the world, there are much better places to retire. Japan is filled to the brim with elderly its not so fun or easy to retire in Japan.
by lm (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread