Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyushu or Kanazawa Area? 2018/4/12 14:20
Hi,
I am travelling in Japan for a month in August, and for the first 3 weeks I will be travelling in the Gunma region (including Nikko), Tokyo, Kawaguchiko, Kyoto, Nara, Mt. Koya and ending up in Osaka. I have around 10 days of travelling left before I need to be back in Tokyo for my flight. I'm debating if I should go down to Kyushu Island and spend time in Nagasaki, and doing some day trips to Mt. Aso and Kurokawa Onsen, or making the trip up to see Kanazawa, Ogimachi, and Takayama. I'm thinking that either way I'd also like to see Hiroshima/Miyajama. What would be the better trip/ any other suggestions for other places I could visit to fill out the full 10 days?
Thanks in advance :)
by Annika (guest)  

Re: Kyushu or Kanazawa Area? 2018/4/12 18:22
Daytrips from Nagasaki to Aso and Kurokawa? Not going to work.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Kyushu or Kanazawa Area? 2018/4/13 05:57
Hi. First I suppose you are aware that it is likely to be really hot that time of year? I mention it only because I would be looking for somewhere cooler that time of year, probably as far north (or high) as possible.

If you are staying at Kyushu I think it is better with a car (we didnt) and I agree that overnight would be far better than daytrips. If I was based at Nagasaki, I'd be looking to spend a night at Kurokawa and a night at Yufuin, and maybe one at Karatsu. Dont miss the Nagasaki Bio Park if you like animals.

Being based at Kanazawa would be much easier to get around especially if you had a rail pass. There would be heaps of options for day trips and overnight stayus, and the towns are more geared for tourism in a nice way. Kamikouchi is also an option for a night or two if you want to cool off.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyushu or Kanazawa Area? 2018/4/13 13:42
Depends on what you wanna see. But 10 days would be enough time to see all the locations you listed.

3 days Kanazawa, Shiragawako and Takayama.
2 days Hiroshima and Miyajima.
4 days Nagasaki, Fukuoka, Yufuin, Kurokawa

As an example - I did omit a day to allow for extra travel.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Kyushu or Kanazawa Area? 2018/4/13 21:48
Please feel free to ignore - but have you thought of travelling around Tohoku at all? There is plenty to do here, it's a bit more quiet and the weather (including temperature) should be very pleasant in general....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Kyushu or Kanazawa Area? 2018/4/14 03:26
Thanks for everyone's advice!

I was thinking of staying in Kumanoto as a base to do day trips out of, but would Yufuin or another city be better? Also how different is Shiragawako to Ogimachi? Does it matter which town I stay at or is one better than the other? (I also don't know too much Japanese)

Also, in terms of order to do all these cities in, what would make the most sense - going down to Kyushu first and then making my way back up to Kanazawa then back to Tokyo?

I'm actually going to be up in Tohoku earlier in the month as part of a road trip where we're driving around Mt. Haruna to Nikko via the Nihon Romatic Highway, and then from there up to Fukishima for the Ebisu drift track.
by Annika (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyushu or Kanazawa Area? 2018/4/15 22:44
As people are telling you, Kurosawa is a fair trip from anywhere, so a day trip wastes lots of time traveling.
Kyushu doesnft really lend itself to having just one base.
Spend 10 minutes on Hyperdia and/or google maps and youfll see that.
Trains are great for Hakata to Kumamoto and Nagasaki, but the more rural places are best with a short car hire imho.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

reply to this thread