Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Gala Yuzawa effectively closed this year? 2018/4/14 13:26
JR's Gala Yuzawa ski resort is closed today, due to projected high winds (15 to 20 km/h).

The entire resort will be closed for the season on April 22, but could that be even sooner, because high temperatures and rain could melt the remaining snow?
by John711 (guest)  

Re: Gala Yuzawa effectively closed this year? 2018/4/14 17:17
No.
Strong winds just make operating lifts stop, this is not the reason to close the ski site.

And, wind speed scale is wrong, in Japan using "meter/second(m/s)",
if 20km/h is "5.5m/s(11kt =knot)", it is NO strong.
https://www.koken-network.jp/select/img/cp-p2-pic.gif
https://blogimg.goo.ne.jp/user_image/43/00/66e7715a7dea036b287ee1f9de2...
by Epillhs (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Gala Yuzawa effectively closed this year? 2018/4/14 17:19
Latest update on their webpage from 12/Apr says that it will end on 22/Apr:

https://gala.co.jp/winter/news_00309.html

Enjoy skiing in Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Gala Yuzawa effectively closed this year? 2018/4/14 18:42
Epillhs, Thank you so much for the information. I had checked several English language weather sites, all were different, and all of them used either km/h or m/h for the wind speed scale. None of the speeds reported seemed anywhere near being serious enough to shut down the gondola & ski lifts. However, if the measurements should have been in m/s, then obviously that was too dangerous to operate in.

Wind forecasts for Yuzawa over the next few days look almost the same as what was forecast for today. Gala Yuzawa official news has already deleted the "closed today" update, and there is nothing about tomorrow, or the rest of the week. There have been no updates to their Facebook page for over 24 hours.

Again, thank you for the useful information, as opposed to that of a serial poster, who merely parroted back what I clearly stated in my second sentence, and who incorrectly assumed that I was skiing, in the usual annoying "blessing."

And of course by "this year" I obviously meant this season.
by John711 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Gala Yuzawa effectively closed this year? 2018/4/14 20:48
@John711
You seem to have had a bad day. I have no idea what is bad about my answer. It merely confirms that per their webpage the closing date continues to be 22\April and it was last updated in 12/April which was a mere two days ago. If you had already checked that RECENT information that isnft clear from our post. Or at least wasnft to me.

I guess no one can tell if snow is going to melt quicker, how hard it is going to rain or if there are going to be other days of strong wind. (Well you could obviously look at a weather forecast but itfs not gonna be accurate now until next week Sunday. And yes, I will not link you a page with the weather forecast).

Sorry for assuming you were going to ski. Simply seemed like a reasonable assumption for someone enquiring about a ski resort (yes, maybe you go snowboarding or some other snow sport activity) but please feel my gEnjoy you ...h extended to any activity you plan to do there. (Hard to see though why an genjoy your triph could be annoying to anyone. )

Well, wishing you all the best for the snow conditions then.

Re: Gala Yuzawa effectively closed this year? 2018/4/14 20:51
Our=your

reply to this thread