Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Work while waiting for spouse visa 2018/4/15 09:17
I have been in Japan for a couple of years as a student (with permission to work). I got married in March and applied for the spouse visa in the same month. With April came my graduation from my school and normally that means I cannot work as the last 3 months on my 2year,3month visa are essentially like a tourist visa as far as I understand.

I got the 2 month extension paper in my passport, but I'm unsure if this also allows me work while I wait for approval or not. I'm going to call the immigration office but it's Sunday today and they're not open so I was hoping to get a little advice before calling tomorrow.

Thank you.
by Shi (guest)  

Re: Work while waiting for spouse visa 2018/4/15 16:40
No, it does not.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Work while waiting for spouse visa 2018/4/15 19:00
No.
You need correct status or exemption. (I looked at this a few years ago - with my lawyer - for a slightly different category, and the rules are very clear.)
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Work while waiting for spouse visa 2018/4/16 08:00
no proper visa no work. It is so simple
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Work while waiting for spouse visa 2018/4/16 08:27
Thank you for the replies, seems it's a unanimous no.

@justmyday I don't think the condescension is necessary. It's not so simple. If I'm on a residence with the right to work and I get an extension to that residence, I think it's a perfectly valid question to ask if my right to work is also extended.
by Shi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Work while waiting for spouse visa 2018/4/16 08:47
I'm on a residence with the right to work

The thing is, you are not "on a residence with the right to work".

Re: Work while waiting for spouse visa 2018/4/16 09:20
For anybody in the future with this same question.

I just called the immigration office and they told me as long as I follow the rules set under my student residence; no longer than 28 hours a week, have the permission to work sticker in my passport and such, the extension legally allows me to engage in work activities as I please until I hear the result of my change of status.

But my situation my differ from yours, so please check with the immigration office yourself.

Their number is 0570 013 904 and they have English speaking staff available, just speak slowly and clearly.

Re: Work while waiting for spouse visa 2018/4/16 09:38
as long as I follow the rules set under my student residence

The rules of your "work permit" state that you can only work while enrolled in school. Since you have graduated, you are no longer enrolled and you can no longer work.

"28 hours per week" is not the only restriction.

Re: Work while waiting for spouse visa 2018/4/16 09:47
I made clear the the immigration officer that I had graduated and was waiting on results of my spouse application.

Re: Work while waiting for spouse visa 2018/4/16 10:06
Then you were given an incorrect answer. Just read the text of your work permit; it states plain as day that you can only work while enrolled in school.

Re: Work while waiting for spouse visa 2018/4/16 12:35
By the way, you seem to be aware of this rule, since in your original question you state

With April came my graduation from my school and normally that means I cannot work

which is correct. And you were probably told by immigration that you can work as long as you follow the rules of your permit, which is also correct. Again, you can (should!) read the rules of your permit, which are written on it, since do not seem to have done so already. You will probably need to refer to this: http://www.japaneselawtranslation.go.jp/law/detail_main?re=01&vm=04&id...

activities to manage a business involving income or activities for which the foreign national receives a reward ([...] ; with regard to those persons residing with the status of residence of "Student", limited to those carried out during the foreign national's enrollment at the educational institution)

Re: Work while waiting for spouse visa 2018/4/16 18:24
@Shi

@justmyday I don't think the condescension is necessary. It's not so simple. If I'm on a residence with the right to work and I get an extension to that residence, I think it's a perfectly valid question to ask if my right to work is also extended.

It is simple you are not a student and therefor you cannot work anymore. It is simple and clear rule. Of course you can try but any consequences are yours. And yes it is a valid question to ask but you can also check the rules which are documented.

When I went for a Spouse visa I also had to read a lot which I understand is difficult sometimes.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Work while waiting for spouse visa 2018/4/17 09:14
I don't want to risk my application or my life I've built here on potentially bad information I was given. I expect my spouse visa will be here within 2 weeks so it's not worth it to me.

I'm going to wait until I have my new residence card in my hand.

Thanks for everybody's input, much appreciated.

reply to this thread