Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Applying to a university in Japan? 2018/4/17 05:20
My apologies for the double post, I posted as a guest earlier however I don't receive emails from this website on hotmail for who knows what reason, I'll just sum everything up in this post.

Essentially I'm a senior high school student in Canada (keep in mind that here we only have 3 years of high school, grades 10-12) looking to study Japanese at a language school after I graduate. Once I finish that, I'd like to apply to a Japanese university, I was looking at Waseda in particular.

For my senior year here, I can graduate with my diploma without taking a senior level (grade 12) of math or science. I'm concerned that if I opt not to, I would have issues being accepted to a university in Japan. Entrance exam aside, as long as I maintain my 80-90% average in my classes and graduate with a diploma, would having those courses actually matter in terms of being accepted?

To my understanding, all I've read that you need is just transcripts/diplomas, N2 (N1 in some cases) Japanese proficiency, some teacher references and to pass the entrance exam.

In short, do they actually look at or care what classes you took as long as you have the diploma and pass their entrance exam? Or would not having a senior level of math/science disqualify me?

Thanks!
by Cookiexii  

Re: Applying to a university in Japan? 2018/4/17 18:21
You might have an easier time dealing with ICU in Mitaka (Tokyo). It's a very good school, with a separate enrollment stream for foreign students like you.

https://www.icu.ac.jp/en/admissions/

by Kyoben Otoru (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Applying to a university in Japan? 2018/4/18 06:24
Seems my reply didn't post, unless its supposed to take more than 6 hours. Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to check them out. I don't suppose you'd have an answer to my question though? My issue is less which school I should apply to and more if the courses I've taken matter or if I just need a diploma.
by Cookiexii rate this post as useful

Re: Applying to a university in Japan? 2018/4/18 07:47
Depends on what stream you decide to enter. If you're entering a program taught in Japanese, you don't need JLPT. You will need to have completed 12 years of schooling. You will need to take and achieve a high score on the EJU. EJU acts as both a Japanese exam, but also tests your math, science, etc. With that in mind, I would recommend you to take as much math as you can - the math you do in high school, Japanese do in middle school - and you need to keep up with them.

If you plan to enter an English program, you won't need any Japanese proficiency test - just your high school diploma. You can think about what courses you should do based on the major you want to take.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: Applying to a university in Japan? 2018/4/18 08:02
Ah, so essentially not taking a senior year of math for example would just make it harder for me to pass the exam if I understand correctly. Given that I plan to take my courses at whichever university I go to in Japanese, I'll opt to take a third year of high school math then.

Thanks for the reply!

Re: Applying to a university in Japan? 2018/4/18 10:35
You can see the types and difficulty of questions here
https://www.jasso.go.jp/en/eju/examinee/pastpaper_sample.html

Personally, I see no point to studying in Japanese. You are only requiring yourself to take an extra couple of years to learn Japanese before you enter the university. English programs were created for people in your situation - learn your subject AND Japanese at the same time. You get to the same point, 2 years earlier, and thousands of dollars richer. But your choice, I suppose.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: Applying to a university in Japan? 2018/4/18 12:26
I appreciate the input, however I would be going to a Japanese language school in Japan before going to university anyway. Who knows, maybe I do opt for the English taught courses in the end.

Thanks!

Re: Applying to a university in Japan? 2018/4/18 19:27
There's no easy answer to your question.
Look at various university pages (hence the suggested link in English, above) regarding their entrance requirements, and then contact the schools directly with your questions.
Good luck!
by Kyoben Otoru (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread