Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Miyajima on Sunday afternoon 2018/4/17 11:36
How crowded is Miyajima on Sunday afternoon. We plan on a day trip from Kyoto - HIroshima to Miyajima. We'd like to be there to walk out to the tori at low tide (which is 230 pm the day we'll visit). What time should we leave Hiroshima to get to Mijyajima Guchi for the ferry to the island. Wondering if there are long lines for the ferries on Sunday afternoon. Would prefer to use the JR ferry if possible as we will have a JR pass.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.
by Ichibahn (guest)  

Re: Miyajima on Sunday afternoon 2018/4/17 15:06
Itsukushima Shrine Maroudo Shrine is always crowded, no matter when (of course a little less in the very early morning / very late evening)

BUT: most people only go to the main shrine, while in my opinion the way more enjoyable sights of miyajima are in the woods in the back side: for example go to Daisyoin. Very little people there, extremely beautiful.
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Miyajima on Sunday afternoon 2018/4/17 15:06
ps: generally there is enough place on the ferries, no need to wait (doesnt matter at what time)
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Miyajima on Sunday afternoon 2018/4/17 15:10
agreed. It looks really pretty when the tide is in and you are approaching from the water, but when it is sitting in the mud it isnt so impressive - less so close up - and make sure you wear shoes as there are sharp things on the ground.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Miyajima on Sunday afternoon 2018/4/17 21:08
Lots of people walk out to the torii near low tide (I've never encountered sharp things in the sand - dozens of visits), and I personally prefer being able to walk out to the torii. Others like it when the tide is in.
As for crowds, some parts are more crowded than others, and it does depend on the time of year. I've been to the island when there has been an hour queue for the ferries, and other times (including a recent weekend) when there was hardly anyone around by Miyajima standards. There is not a generic/standard answer that can be applied based on my frequent visits.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread