Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Wheelchair accessible around Oirase Stream? 2018/4/17 12:00
Which are the areas accessible to wheelchairs ? Travelling with one during the mid-June period. Thanks, Pheujo
by Pheujo  

Re: Wheelchair accessible around Oirase Stream? 2018/4/22 02:33
I can only answer this in generalities as I haven't paid much attention to the steps and inclines even though I've walked the trail several times.

In general, from the Grand Hotel in Yakeyama and the entrance to the trail next to it (Oirase Keiryu-kan) up to Ishigedo, the trail is flat compared to the upper reaches from Ishigedo to Lake Towada. The entire trail is also mainly a gravel surface and in places merges with the road. This lower (northern) section also does not have waterfalls, but is a path following a nice mountain stream through the roadside/streamside forest. The upper section has many waterfalls and rapids, the main attractions, but also has steep sections and sections with long sets of steps that I think would even be too long for two extra people to help carry.

If you are traveling by car, there are several pull-out places where you can at least look around, such as at Ishigedo, Kumoi Falls, and Choshi Oodaki, but even in those places, there are steps down to the stream or up to the falls.

https://www.env.go.jp/en/nature/nps/park/guide/towada/recommend/01.htm...
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wheelchair accessible around Oirase Stream? 2018/5/18 12:57
Thanks for the information.
by Pheujo rate this post as useful

Re: Wheelchair accessible around Oirase Stream? 2018/5/18 15:06
I've walked the trail and while the trail is mostly flat, I don't think it's safe or designed for wheelchair. Some parts of the trail are paved, but may not be a good ground for wheelchair. There are bus stops near the major streams and waterfall, but there are stairs to go down to the stream/waterfall. I couldn't recall the exact location of the bus stop or parking lot, but it seems requires some walking and crossing the main road.
by Moccy rate this post as useful

Re: Wheelchair accessible around Oirase Stream? 2018/5/19 11:52

Undoubtedly, the trial is not designed for wheelchair. However in my observation, if you can get to the trail
, in certain sections, a wheelchair is possible.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Wheelchair accessible around Oirase Stream? 2018/5/19 12:41
Correction "trail" not "trial "
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread