Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan 4 days suggestion (off beaten track) 2018/4/19 15:30
Dear all,

i will have 4 free days end of April, which i would like to spend to Japan (I have visited all the big cities). My starting and ending point is tokyo. Unfortunatelly those 5 days are exactly on the golden week, therefore many places are fully booked.

I would like to go swr that is not so touristic (i dont know if this is possible this week) and traditional japanese. I would consider a nice fish town, some people suggested Kamakura (anything similar?) but i am ok if this is not close to Tokyo. Or sth on the mountains like Magome-Tsumago - any place similar but not popular?
I cannot drive and preferably i would like go surfing if i choose a place near the sea.

Thank you in advance!
by piterpan3  

Re: Japan 4 days suggestion (off beaten track) 2018/4/19 18:06
Onsen in Aomori? Walking the 34 Kannon Temples Pilgrimage in Chichibu?

Kamakura is pretty touristic, IMO :-)
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan 4 days suggestion (off beaten track) 2018/4/19 18:10
Looks at a map. Anywhere between Hiroshima and Tokyo you can omit. Try outside this area.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Japan 4 days suggestion (off beaten track) 2018/4/19 20:13
Many possibilities:
- Sado island
- Shikoku (with Naoshima and Teshima or w/o)
- Hagi , Matsue....
- Aomori or Akita
- Hokkaido
- Tono valley and Hiraizumi
- Yamadera

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan 4 days suggestion (off beaten track) 2018/4/20 03:32
Where are you coming from?
If you can fly to KIX (or take an internal flight there from Tokyo), you could spend 4 very nice days in the Wakayama/Kii peninsula area, perhaps?
Wefve just come back from there and there was loads to do, plenty of variety, great food and bathing, good walks and scenery on the Kumano Kodo, etc
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Japan 4 days suggestion (off beaten track) 2018/4/20 03:46
Thank you all!

Anything more particular like a specific seaside traditional fish village?

Kii sounds interesting... Can i move easily there without a car?
by piterpan3 rate this post as useful

Re: Japan 4 days suggestion (off beaten track) 2018/4/20 07:31
Trains run along the entire Kii Peninsula coast, so you can explore from the west side (Osaka) or the east side (Nagoya). If you want to explore smaller towns (like Kii Katsu-ura) along the coast, the local trains run infrequently and there are also buses which also run infrequently that lets you explore places between train stations (like Nachi Falls). You can also hike sections of the Kumano Kodo trail. I enjoyed doing both. Expect some crowd during the golden week and you cannot avoid it no matter where you go, so just accept it and perhaps enjoy meeting new people.

https://www.japan-guide.com/community/jioruji/report-1452
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4952.html

by ume* (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan 4 days suggestion (off beaten track) 2018/4/20 07:40
If it is about fishing villages, Sado island also would tick the box. Shinkansen to Niigata and then ferry to the island. On the island you can move around with busses, tours or bicycle.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan 4 days suggestion (off beaten track) 2018/4/23 00:11
Have you considered Oarai in Ibaraki? I've never been there, but it just dawned on me, and when I Googled, sure enough a blogger had written that there are many unknown surf spots there. The downside is that the sea is cold, it's not easily accessible compared to Shonan (Kamakura area) or Chiba, and there is few information. If you scroll down to the middle of the second link, you will find maps of the surf spots.
http://www.oarai-info.jp/sightseeing/index.htm
http://thaisbaby.com/?p=7357
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread