Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How much yen should I bring? 2018/4/21 00:28
Hello guys, I am wondering how much should I bring to Tokyo for 1 week of vacation? My friends and I are planning to go to Tokyo around end of June.
I just want to know how much is the average spending for foods there and to buy some souvenir. Flights and hotels are not included in this question. Public transport and not included as we had purchased subway tickets for few days. You can try to add on some transportation fees if I can't reach some places with Tokyo subway lines.

Thanks in advanced!
by Yung Loon Hoan (guest)  

Re: How much yen should I bring? 2018/4/21 13:41
You can work this out yourself by reading the budgeting section of this website, looking up ticket prices for the places you want to go, finding train prices using Hyperdia (hyperdia.com/en), etc. Your trip will be different to everyone else's - budget it yourself. It's not hard.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How much yen should I bring? 2018/4/21 18:25
"Average" spending is pretty difficult to nail down. Are you eating exclusively from convenient stores (not as weird as it sounds), or are you going to casual restaurants like ramen shops, or are you having kaiseki or sushi every night because you're on vacation? Are you shopping at tourist-trap souvenir stores or are you picking up nice handmade artisan goods since Japan prides itself on quality? If you can envision a trip to a major city in your home country, the expenses are comparable.
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

Re: How much yen should I bring? 2018/4/21 18:27
You will need 83,742 yen.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: How much yen should I bring? 2018/4/22 01:26
Ah, rats. I can only afford 83,739 Yen :) Seriously though, I say allow between 8000 & 10000 a day and you will probably have some to change back at the end. But of course this is with my level of spending which is why you need to try to work it out yourself as others have already said. https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2410.html

P.s. This is gentle teasing due the essential impossibility of the question. Don't let it put you off. We are friendly really, honest.

P.p.s If you book the hotel breakfasts you can eat enough in the morning to keep you going till mid afternoon without looking like a glutton.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: How much yen should I bring? 2018/4/22 07:16
For 2 people, eating at casual restaurants, and doing a lot of sightseeing, we spent about 8000 per day, excluding shopping.
by me2 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread