Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Moving to Japan from U.S 2018/4/22 02:45
I am an 18 year old University student in the U.S, and it is my dream to move to Japan as soon as I possibly can. I am going to be taking Japanese courses throughout my school time and will be majoring in computer science. I am well aware of the visa system and how permanent residency is very difficult to obtain; however, I was wondering if having a masters degree would help me get a job for a work visa easier than having just a bachelors? Also, I was curious as to if computer science is a field that Japanese companies would be looking to hire a foreigner for? I don't mind having any subject of computer science job (ex: IT, Software Engineering, etc.)

Thank you so much!
by JapanLover (guest)  

Re: Moving to Japan from U.S 2018/4/22 08:01
Unless you wanna teach classes, then masters isn't something you'll need.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan from U.S 2018/4/22 09:41
Well if you want to apply for HSP visa (http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/newimmiact_3/en/pdf/171110_leaflet.pdf) a master degree gives you more points than a bachelor. (And a PhD even more)

Assuming that you will move to Japan under 29 yrs and with no working experience you would need master (20pts), age (15 pts), JLPT N2 (10 pts) and an annual salary of 7 million Yen. That salary might be too high for a graduate, so youfd better have N1, than you need a salary of gonlyh6 million Yen, which is still quite high. If you could come with a PhD and still be under 29yrs at the time of applying for HSP youfd need a salary of only 4-5 million Yen depending on your JLPT.

HSP visa has the benefit of fast track to PR. I think now even within a year.

But all that said, in order to get a gnormal g work visa for IT a master degree is not needed. But it may obviously help in finding a job.

by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan from U.S 2018/4/22 12:07
Would an internship during schooling could as field experience that could help in the point totals?
by JapanLover (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan from U.S 2018/4/22 12:19
LikeBike, is there any sort of contact information (ex: email) that I could receive from you that you are willing to give to contact for any potential questions?
by JapanLover (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan from U.S 2018/4/22 13:02
I wouldn't worry about PR at this extremely early stage. You could move to Japan and find you hate it! What you need to look at is getting a company to sponsor you for a work visa.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Moving to Japan from U.S 2018/4/22 17:39
I agree. You're getting w-a-y ahead of yourself. So many things could happen that might lead you in one direction or another with study, work, relationships, etc. Just take life in Japan one step at a time and enjoy the experience. Things will work out.

by Oba Tarian (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread