Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visiting Hokaido in early March for 4 days 2018/4/22 07:30
After enjoying Kyoto last month, my wife and I plan to visit Hokkaido from Mar 7-11, 2019. We'll fly from Los Angeles. Shall we fly to Tokyo/Narita and take a train to Sapporo, or shall we fly to Sapporo. Is the weather very cold during that period. Any suggestions on what to do in 4-5 days ? Thank you !
by R Leung  

Re: Visiting Hokaido in early March for 4 days 2018/4/22 18:13
Shall we fly to Tokyo/Narita and take a train to Sapporo, or shall we fly to Sapporo.

Flight is by far better. It will take almost 10 hours by at least three trains, Narita to Tokyo, Tokyo to Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto and then to Sapporo. As for flight, you might better consider other airports as the gateway to Sapporo, such as Kansai (Osaka), Nagoya or even Inchon (Seoul). There should be fast and cheap way to go to Sapporo.

Is the weather very cold during that period. Any suggestions on what to do in 4-5 days ? Thank you !

Yes, early March in Sapporo is basically winter. Average temperature of first 10 days in Sapporo is -1.3C or 29.7F. This is the ski season so even if you don't like it, you will see snowy scenery especially in the mountain area. I don't mean it is awful, the snowy scenery is very popular among Japanese living in no-snow region.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Hokaido in early March for 4 days 2018/4/23 18:34
Get a connecting flight, you'll be glad you did. The shinkansen does not yet go all the way to Sapporo, and even when it does get completed it'll be a five hour trip from Tokyo.
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Hokaido in early March for 4 days 2018/4/23 18:34
Oh, also, it'll be cheaper to fly.
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

reply to this thread