Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Early morning breakfast restaurants? 2018/4/25 01:43
Hi,
Will be staying outside the regular busines hotel chains this time in Japan and the hostel offers no kitchen so I would have to dine out in the morning (or buy a bento or something on the way out).

How hard is it to find early morning restaurants offering breakfast in Tokyo?

I would need to eat something at least to manage a day of sightseeing.
by guest (guest)  

Re: Early morning breakfast restaurants? 2018/4/25 12:21
Convenience store??
Or any of the gyudon chain shop that offer morning breakfast set?
Or grab some bentou/bread etc. from supermarket the night before?
Just do a google map search for shops/restaurant around the hostel you are staying.
by @... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Early morning breakfast restaurants? 2018/4/25 13:17
There are lots of options for early breakfast. I always try to find family restaurant or coffee-shop-type restaurant that offers "morning set" menu. My favorite is Gusto (KXg), which falls under the family restaurant category, because their prices are low and I drink lots of coffee (they offer all-you-can-drink coffee). They typically open around 06:00. Other family restaurant chains offer similar deals.
https://www.skylark.co.jp/gusto/menu/menu_category.html?cid=301

Another option would be fast food chains.
by asamesi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Early morning breakfast restaurants? 2018/4/25 14:18
You don't say what neighborhood you're staying in, so it's hard to give specific advice, but here are some recommended places to go if you want a proper breakfast in Tokyo: http://bento.com/r-breakfast.html

You can also check out any hotels in your area to see if they have breakfast service, and eat there.

Other than that there are convenience stores (as noted above), fast-food restaurants, family restaurants and so on.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Early morning breakfast restaurants? 2018/4/25 16:03
Coco`s, Dennys, McD, etc....
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Early morning breakfast restaurants? 2018/4/25 16:09
When locals ride long distance outbound trains, they buy an "eki-ben" train station bento box which features goodies from each station area, and eat it on the train.

Otherwise, they would just grab some coffee at one of the too many convenience stores and enjoy sightseeing until a decent restaurant opens at about 11 am. Another option is to buy some food on the night before.

Either way, there aren't much you can see before restaurants open, except to enjoy long-distance train rides. And people typically don't want to waste their appetite on convenience store food.

Hope it helps in one way or another.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Early morning breakfast restaurants? 2018/4/25 16:29
Uco, you are overgeneralising to a huge extent.

No, not all "locals" buy eki-ben.

Yes, many eat convenience store food. Of course they do, otherwise such stores would go out of business very quickly.

No, not everyone waits untill 11am for the "decent" restaurants to open, judging by how packed my local Matsuya is at 6. Many people at McD too. I'm sure those are not really "decent" according to your impeccable standards, but they are plenty good for the rest of us.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Early morning breakfast restaurants? 2018/4/25 18:13
Well it is not hopeless then :)

Well I will be staying one week in the area near Sunsine City (?) near Ikebukuro station, after going on a trip to the north of Japan for a few days back to a place near Heiwajima station, which unfortunately does not come with a fridge, so I cannot store any breakfast for the upcoming day.

I usually go out sightseeing early (getting up like 6-ish) as to avoid the worst crowds and getting as much done as possible during the day.

Toyoko Inn was usually my best bet but I am on a bit tighter budget this time (I recon saviing about 4-5000 JPY per night not staying on Toyoko Inn).

by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Early morning breakfast restaurants? 2018/4/25 19:49
You can go to a Japanese coffee chain restaurant like Komeda Coffee which have locations all over Japan, Komeda opens at 7am, and has a free morning set of toast and boiled egg which are free/complimentary with your order of whatever which can be just a drink like coffee or tea (and of course other stuff on the menu you can buy, they have sandwiches, pancakes, etc.).
by Pam (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Early morning breakfast restaurants? 2018/4/25 19:51
by Pam (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Early morning breakfast restaurants? 2018/4/25 22:58
Firas,

Okay, I should've put "many" or "some" before "locals" or simply replaced the word with "me and the people I know". Anyway, I didn't mean "all locals" nor "majority of locals". I was only trying to offer an example. I miss the good 'ole days when people used to ask us "Where can my American kid by sandwiches so early in the morning?" and me and the girls would all shout "Buy an eki-ben!"
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Early morning breakfast restaurants? 2018/5/1 21:09
I usually go to Matsuya Restaurant Chain, they open 24hrs, they have restaurants all around Japan, they also have one in Ikebukuro.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Early morning breakfast restaurants? 2018/5/2 03:15
There is a 24 hour Denny's between Ikebukuro Station and Sunshine City.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Denny's/@35.7296762,139.7141005,17.5z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x60188d689c438931:0x525db3ca700e4d54!8m2!3d35.7296405!4d139.7149211
by curious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Early morning breakfast restaurants? 2018/5/2 04:00
Ifm with Uco on this one: Ifd grab a drink and an onigiri, or a banana or something small from the combini if I had to up and out at 6am, and Ifd have an early lunch when more places have opened and the choice (and in some cases the value) is better.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Early morning breakfast restaurants? 2018/5/3 23:22
My favourite is Vie de France cafe-chain, one can find in Ikebukuro as well. They usually open at 7, and offer deadly good breads and sandwiches there. Coffee is good too.
by girlwithpearl (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread