Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Planning for 11-days trip to Japan 2018/4/27 14:38
Dear Sir,

I am planning for 3 adults to visit Japan from 12 - 22 May 2018. I have a rough plan as follows :

12 May - 4 pm Haneda Airport - proceed to Kyoto by JR

13 May - Fushima Inari Taisha , Nishiki Market, Nijo Castle

14 May - Himeji plus any suggestion?

15 May - Nara - Leaving in the after dinner to Osaka

16 May -Osaka (This is a 2nd visit to Osaka, so free and easy.)

17 May - Osaka

18 May - Leaving Osaka in the late afternoon to Tokyo

19 May - Nikko or Kamakura

20 May - Hakone

21 May - Tokyo for shopping

22 May - 2 of us leaving Tokyo by Narita Express to Narita Airport before noon

1) Could you kindly advise any improvement or suggestion to my plan?

2) For the itinerary as mentioned, it is worth to buy a 14 days JR Pass? Any possible saving if buy a 7 days JR.

3) Roughly how much more do we have to pay for transport not run by JR?

4) We may want to buy a 7- day SIM card, can we buy it from Kyoto? Since we only need at later date.

5) It is possible to rent a pocket WIFI from Kyoto and return it at Haneda Airport before leaving Tokyo?
( 1 of us will come back from Haneda Airport at later date)

Thank you very much.

Regards
Sally588

by Sally588  

Re: Planning for 11-days trip to Jap 2018/4/27 15:51
1) Could you kindly advise any improvement or suggestion to my plan?

2) For the itinerary as mentioned, it is worth to buy a 14 days JR Pass? Any possible saving if buy a 7 days JR.

One alternative way is take flight from Haneda to Osaka (Itami) and back by ANA or JAL. It will cost around 8000 yen (95 SGD) one way when book in advance. Of course you must pay additionally, such as Itami to Kyoto, Kyoto to Himeji and back, Kyoto to Nara to Osaka and Osaka to Itami. I think the total cost will be around 6000 yen so it will still be cheaper than the Japan Rail Pass 7 days. The pros of the JR pass is it will be more flexible and you don't need to buy ticket all the time.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Planning for 11-days trip to Jap 2018/4/28 22:34
I think your itinerary is good, depending on what you want to see of Japan. Firstly, you are moving around a lot. Do you have a JR Pass? Secondly, have you been to Japan before? Also, you are only in Tokyo for one day. It's literally the largest city in the world - I think more time might make sense. Ultimately, it is your trip, and you should see the places you want to see the most.
by Jared (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Planning for 11-days trip to Jap 2018/4/28 23:09
Please note that "JR Pass" makes sense if you do long-distance (between city) travels on JR Shinkansen within that number of days - since your "long distance" travels are only between Tokyo and Kyoto/Osaka, 14-day JR Pass does not save you money. Even for a 7-day JR Pass, since you are not making a return trip between Tokyo and Kyoto/Osaka within a 7-day period, it probably does not pay off.

If I were you, I'd spend more time in Kyoto than in Osaka, but that is up to your interest.

Also are you planning on changing hotels between Kyoto and Osaka? (since you say leaving after dinner to Osaka) I would not change hotels between Kyoto and Osaka. They are close enough.

You "could" stop over at Hakone (via JR Odawara station) on your way from Osaka to Tokyo.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Planning for 11-days trip to Jap 2018/4/29 02:28

Have you ever considered flying in via OSAKA, and returning via TOKYO?
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Planning for 11-days trip to Jap 2018/4/30 13:12
My air tickets and lodging already fixed so it is unlike that I could change.

Except I need to decide whether i should buy a 7 days or 14 days JR Pass .

If I just buy a 7 days JR Pass to cover from Tokyo to Kyoto to Osaka then Tokyo.

The rest of the trip in Tokyo, such as day trip to Hakone or even Nikko, I will buy the transport ticket.

Is this more cost saving?

As you guys suggested, I could spend more time in Tokyo, I might just give Hakone and Nikko a miss.

I hope to enjoy the trip then rushing through.

Thank you for your advice.

by Sally588 rate this post as useful

Re: Planning for 11-days trip to Jap 2018/4/30 14:03
By the way, can I buy the Japanican train ticket for Tokyo to Kyoto and back to Tokyo? If yes, will it be cheaper than buying a 7 days JR pass?

Thanks
by Sally588 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread