Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanican Shinkansen ticket 2018/5/2 19:55
Hi,

May I know what is the difference between buying Shinkansen ticket from Japanican and Japan Rail?

I can go from Tokyo to Kyoto back to Tokyo within 7 days.

Apparently, Japanican ticket is cheaper than JR pass.

Thanks

Thanks.
by Sally 588 (guest)  

Re: Japanican Shinkansen ticket 2018/5/3 14:27
Not sure I understand your question. So if my response isnft what you were looking for, sorry.

The Japanican ticket is a discounted ticket that gets you from A to B. But nowhere else. No time restrictions by when you need to return.

The JR pass gives you free rides on the vast majority of JR trains (there are some exceptions like Nozomi Shinkansen) for a given period of time. During that period you can go virtually from A to B to C ... to Z and back to A.

The decision between these two options depends on your actual travel plans. As you state that the Japanican ticket is cheaper for you that would be the obvious choice unless you have in your 7 days other JR trains that you plan to catch. Then add up their prices too.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanican Shinkansen ticket 2018/5/3 15:09
I will add something.

https://www.japanican.com/en/special/tours/shinkansen/index.aspx

As you see, the Japanican ticket is valid for 7 days, only on non-reserved seats, but you can use fastest Nozomi. Nozomi is in general faster by 20 min and more frequent than Hikari which you can get by JR pass (you can't take Nozomi Shinkansen with the JR pass). On the other hand with JR pass you can reserve the seat for free.

http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/about_jrp.html
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Japanican Shinkansen ticket 2018/5/3 19:58
The Japanican is only a 7 days return pass with 1 day subway and bus service in Kyoto, whiles the JR pass is a 7 Days unlimited pass with a few limitation.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Japanican Shinkansen ticket 2018/5/3 23:44
Thank you of your explanation, it is clear! I think I see the difference between these 2 transport tickets.
by Sally588 (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread