Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Magome & Tsumago 2018/5/2 21:07
Hi, trying to finalize my travel plans. Will be traveling to Tokyo (day trip to Nikko), Kyoto, Osaka, Kanazawa and Takayama Area, Kinosaki or Hakone and perhaps if I can fit it in Mount Koya. Initally I was planning to travel to Magome, spend the night and get an early start on the Nakasendo Trail and then spending the night in Tsumago, but after further research, I realized that everything closes down around 5 and there isn't much to do.

My questions is, should I visit both Magome and Tsumago in one day without having to do the trail and then just spend the night in Magome and leave to Kanazawa the next day? Are these post towns worth a visit??? Should I only do a day trip here???

Was thinking of adding more days to the Kanazawa/Takayama area by incorporating a visit to the Korube Gorge therefore was trying to remove a day from the Kiso Valley. Is the Korube Gorge worth a visit? Very torn as to which areas to visit....

Thank you
by adrianadb  

Re: Magome & Tsumago 2018/5/3 11:18
The trail between Magome and Tsumago takes about 2.5 to 3 hours to walk....at an average pace. You could easily do both villages and the walk in a single day.
by curious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Magome & Tsumago 2018/5/3 14:52
Last time I visited there I was staying in Nagoya. I took the train to Nagiso & walked from the station to Magome and it was a very pleasant, unhurried day trip.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Magome & Tsumago 2018/5/3 17:08
For me the best thing about Kurobe Gorge was a stay in a local onsen.

http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.nl/2017/10/day-27-kurobe-gorge.html...

I am not into hiking. I guess if you are you can get away from the day tripping crowds that gather at the final stop of the small train.

Also it will depend on the month you are going if you get koyo or not.

Agree with PP that Magome and Tsumago including the hike can be easily done in a day.

Enjoy your trip to Japan!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread