Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is Okunoin and/or trails worth it? 2018/5/3 00:16
Before I begin, due to budget constraints, I won't be able to spend the night in one of the temples in Koyasan. So I'm mainly looking for feedback from anyone who has done a day trip instead.

I understand that the temples in Kyoto are a lot better than the ones in Koyasan. But Okunoin has really peaked my interest, and I was wondering if it's worth the time, effort, and cost to dedicate a day to Koyasan just for Okunoin?

And as I mentioned in the title, I'm also interested in doing one of the trails to the top of the mountain; particularly this: Koyasan Choishi Michi trail.

However, I have never done a trek in my life (lol). But in my defense, I consider myself as no slouch when it comes to other forms of physical and/or athletic activities as well (whatever that means...but I hope you get my point).

I'm mainly interested in doing the trek because of the really beautiful pictures and videos I've seen online. So I would like to ask if the Koyasan Choishi Michi trail is doable for beginners? Has anyone here with little to no experience in trekking ever done it? How was your experience? Any specific tips for the Koyasan trails would be greatly appreciated.

And I'm sorry if this a really dumb question: what's the earliest I can start the trail from Kudoyama Station? I was planning on starting very early so I can have more time to enjoy the scenery.

And one more concern regarding this: I read that there are bears in Koyasan. Is this something I should be worried about?
by sublimelaconic  

reply to this thread