Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR pass Osaka-Nagoya-Tokyo-Hokkaido 2018/5/6 14:28
Hi

Its been a long time since I last visited Japan and used the JR pass.
Just want to confirm if I can now use the same JR pass to travel on the Shinkansen Bullet train from Osaka - Nagoya - Takayama - Tokyo -Hokkaido?

Also for the Shinkansen train from Tokyo to Hokkaido's Hakodate, I do not need to change any trains? Because long time back I remember we need to change 1 or 2 trains before getting to Hakodate?

Thanks
Best Regards
Ron
by hippolilo  

Re: JR pass Osaka-Nagoya-Tokyo-Hokkaido 2018/5/6 17:18
Just want to confirm if I can now use the same JR pass to travel on the Shinkansen Bullet train from Osaka - Nagoya - Takayama - Tokyo -Hokkaido?

Yes, the Japan Rail Pass is valid on all shinkansen trains between these cities and regions (except Nozomi trains between Osaka and Tokyo. Also, Takayama is not connected to the shinkansen network, but the limited trains that travel there are also covered by the Japan Rail Pass.

Also for the Shinkansen train from Tokyo to Hokkaido's Hakodate, I do not need to change any trains?

No, there are direct trains.

Because long time back I remember we need to change 1 or 2 trains before getting to Hakodate?

Two years ago, the shinkansen was extended to Hakodate.

More about the Japan Rail Pass:
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass Osaka-Nagoya-Tokyo-Hokkaido 2018/5/6 18:40
Some of these really long trips, such as Tokyo to Sapporo, even if using the shinkansen, can benefit from the use of domestic air travel. I used to get the national JR Pass, but now I exclusively travel by air to the geographical extremes of the country and use regional passes. The passes issued by the individual JR groups can be used very effectively for a fraction of the Japan Rail pass. These passes allow you to use the Nozomi or Mizuho service as much as you want. These are things to consider.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass Osaka-Nagoya-Tokyo-Hokkaido 2018/5/7 01:10
for the Shinkansen train from Tokyo to Hokkaido's Hakodate, I do not need to change any trains?

The Hokkaido Shinkansen leads not to Hakodate City;
its current north terminus is in Hokuto City.

To get to Hakodate Station,
you get off your Shinkansen train
at Shin-Hakodate-Hokuto Station (in Hokuto City),
make a transfer (via Shinkansen Transfer Gate) to Hakodate Line
and take a Rapid or Local train called "Hakodate Liner" for about 15 to 20 minutes.
(Any "Hakodate Liner" train makes a stop at Goryokaku Station on the way.)

Depending on the timing in a day,
your transfer from Shinkansen is to be made within 10 minutes,
which may be tight for you.

- How to travel between Hakodate and Tokyo
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5355.html

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass Osaka-Nagoya-Tokyo-Hokkaido 2018/5/11 08:41
Thanks Uji san, John, Omotenashi san
by hippolilo rate this post as useful

reply to this thread