Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Toyoko Inn in Tokyo 2018/5/7 16:24
Hi,

I've stayed at these TIs below during my various trips to Tokyo.
Akiba Asakusabashi
Shinjuku Kabukicho
Shinagawa-eki Konan-guchi Tennozu
Ikebukuro 2
Otsuka 2
Tokyo Nihonbashi

I still can't seem to find my favourite branch. I like to be very near subway/metro station and would love to be surrounded by eateries and quaint shops (Not been a success much with this). Not too far north since I usually fly in and out from Haneda Airport.

Any other recommendation please?
Not too happy with the new TI website, not user friendly at all if compared to the old one.
Also their Eco Plan seem to be shorten to alternate night, across board? Or is it my luck at at particular branches? The website still states minimum of 2 consecutive nights...

Tq, Mel
by Melanie Putra  

Re: Toyoko Inn in Tokyo 2018/5/8 07:51
As far as I remember, the ECO plan has been for alternative days. I've been a Toyoko Inn member since 2013 and the plan has been the one currently in use.

As for Tokyo, I only stay at the Takanawa Exit location of Shinagawa Station. There are enough eateries around and I am more than comfortable taking the JR lines to where I need to go. I have been using this location (typing from my hotel room right now) for the last 7 visits to Japan/Tokyo.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Toyoko Inn in Tokyo 2018/5/8 10:09
Thanks for your feedback. Enjoy Tokyo!
by Melanie Putra rate this post as useful

Re: Toyoko Inn in Tokyo 2018/5/8 10:55

Toyoko Inn Tokyo Shinagawa-eki Takanawa-guchi may not be the best Toyoko inn in Tokyo, but , IMHO, it is conveniently located, and surely is my favorite.
Last year I stayed at the Tokyo's newest Toyoko Inn ,Tokyo-eki Yaesu Kita-guchi. Location is not too bad, close to Tokyo station; however, I would never recommend it to anyone, not even to my mortal enemy ( if I have one).
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Toyoko Inn in Tokyo 2018/5/8 10:58
Why wonft you recommend Tokyo-eki Yaesu Kita-guchi? I was look at it but not much room category..?

Re: Toyoko Inn in Tokyo 2018/5/8 14:10
How about staying at hotels other than Toyoko Inn? Yes, they exist! Never understood this cult of Toyoko...
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Toyoko Inn in Tokyo 2018/5/8 15:02
I think people like Toyoko cause they know exactly what they can expect if they book it. But i agree, there is no reason to go only with this chain, plenty of other options also available which are similar...
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Toyoko Inn in Tokyo 2018/5/8 17:42
In my opinion, locations of Toyoko Inn in Tokyo is not as convenient as TI outside Tokyo, which can be practically just a step away from the major station. To my memory, the Shinagawa-eki Takanawa-guchi is not really near the station and the convenience store is few minutes uphill slope.

Why Toyoko-Inn? For me it's value for money and price transparancy, especially for single traveller. Breakfast is included. It can be significantly cheaper than other hotels e.g. APA, but at times can be quite competitive. I recently stayed at Mito where Twin Room at APA Hotel is 700 yen more than Toyoko Inn (without breakfast). The room is nicer, bed is nicer, and location is closer to the station.
by Moccy rate this post as useful

Re: Toyoko Inn in Tokyo 2018/5/8 18:07
The reasons for staying in Toyoko Inn are that they are conveniently located close to transportation, the price is right (from 7500yen in Tokyo to as low as 3400yen in Matsue), free night for every 10 nights.

For those who don't "understand the cult of Toyoko", well, you can stick it where the sun don't shine. I don't care what you think and if you don't understand it, then don't stay there....

Re: Toyoko Inn in Tokyo 2018/5/8 18:12
True.. I have always seek out TI whenever I go to Japan. Received a few free nights from them. And what I truly appreciate is the in-room manual temperature control, very rare in Japan! I usually go in autumn & spring and many hotels keep their climate control as heater 😰

Re: Toyoko Inn in Tokyo 2018/5/8 18:19
Hi Moccy,

I feel the same about TI Shinagawa-eki Takanawa-guchi.. I didn't stay there but had gone to check it out.. Didn't really like the immediate surroundings. I quite like the Otsuka 2 branch but it's a bit too North for me. TI Akiba Asakusabashi is in a nice surroundings but I wish for a nearer station.. Maybe I'm just too picky.. 😋

Re: Toyoko Inn in Tokyo 2018/5/8 18:21
Yes, the in-room temperature control is another plus. Some places have 3-4 washers and dryers, some only 1 of each. Some places have 2 elevators, some only one. You take the good with the bad, but the price is reasonable and I've had more than 10 free nights at Toyoko Inn, so I cannot complain.

At the Niigata one, the staff had my key ready for me when I walked in the front door. I never had to ask for it. They would see me getting on the building's elevator and before I got to the lobby, they were ready for me. Little details like that stand out.

Re: Toyoko Inn in Tokyo 2018/5/8 18:48
I love being able to do my washing there. Especially since I don't like using the dryer, TI's bathroom has enough space to hang wet washes and it dries very fast, even overnight.
And since the price is so low there were a few times we opt for single rooms so we have privacy - Getting a long soak in the deep tub without worrying you are hogging the bathroom is fantastic!

Re: Toyoko Inn in Tokyo 2018/5/8 19:01

Many years ago, some Toyoko inns, mainly in small towns, used to provide free curry rice dinner.
Not that I went for the free dinner, but I was very surprised to learn that for already very modest room rates, not only breakfast but dinner was also provided.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Toyoko Inn in Tokyo 2018/5/8 20:52
Sure - TI's are a great offering. And the loyalty thing is really good for repeat visitors.

I think that all anyone's saying is that there are other similar hotels offering similar things at similar prices in similar areas. TI have done really well in getting brand awareness amongst overseas visitors, but they're not the only game in town by any means.

My experience is that there's plenty of competition at that end of the market, and I assumed that the concern expressed above was that people might miss out on that by being overly attached to one particular hotel chain.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Toyoko Inn in Tokyo 2018/5/9 00:53
For those who don't "understand the cult of Toyoko", well, you can stick it where the sun don't shine. I don't care what you think and if you don't understand it, then don't stay there....

One reason I prefer business hotel chain is their standard in service and accomodation. Getting accomodation in Japan can be very tough, especially for weekend slot. Finding a hotel, reading reviews, comparing prices are tedious. Maybe it's only me, but once I have a go-to hotel which is good enough, I tend to make it as my first option, especially when visiting new city.

I thought all business hotel will have similar standard as Toyoko.. how I was mistaken. My stay at a business hotel at Takamatsu was the worst stay I've ever had, and it's not cheaper than Toyoko Inn Takamatsu. You can't go wrong with Toyoko, or any trusted hotel chain on your choice.

Being said that, I might spend more for a better hotel such as Daiwa Roynet or APA when travelling with my parents. So it's a personal choice.

Re: Toyoko Inn in Tokyo 2018/5/9 01:04
Some places have 3-4 washers and dryers, some only 1 of each. Some places have 2 elevators, some only one.

Depends on luck, some place have 3 washers and dryers and all are used up.

At the Niigata one, the staff had my key ready for me when I walked in the front door. I never had to ask for it.

Recently I stayed at the Fukushima branch. We checked in quite late, around 1030pm. The staffs couldn't speak much English, but once I came to the check-in counter, they pronounced my name and gave my key. This branch has the local hospitality ambience.

And Toyoko's breakfast is always my favorite. I can't get enough of their smoked sausages, meatball, and macaroni salad. May sound silly, but taking breakfast at TI canteen hall while watching Asaichi on TV is a staple routine on each of my trip.

Re: Toyoko Inn in Tokyo 2018/5/9 04:12
The further away from the larger, more "worldly" cities, the less "Western" the breakfasts become. Sausage links in Tokyo are a normal sight, but in Matsue, Tottori or Niigata, you won't see anything like that. They may have potato salad, but that's the extent of what may be considered "Western". There is nothing wrong with what they offer, don't take me wrong, but may not even find eggs.

Re: Toyoko Inn in Tokyo 2018/5/9 15:17
I stayed at TI Tokyo-eki Yaesu Kitaguchi also. Pros and cons are:
(1) The location is super convenient, with both JR train station and subway close by.
(2) Lots of places to eat nearby. Beside what you see on the street level, there are 3 underground malls with lots of shops and restaurant.
(3) It is smaller than other TIs I have stayed (I have stayed at more than 30), and there is no sitting space at the lobby (I.e., you eat breakfast standing up). If it is just for a place to sleep at night, it is adequate.

by Texas Instrumentt Fan (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread