Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Immigration visa status change form 2018/5/9 00:44
Hello!

I finally found a job here in Japan!
I am currently here on a designated activities visa, and I will be applying for a change of status.
Unluckily the company that hired me has never sponsored and they don't have other foreigners that could help me in this, so I have to hand in the paperwork myself and hope to get it right.
I am having some doubts on how to fill in the application form... I don't want to get it wrong!!!
If you could direct me to resources on how to do it, or have suggestions, please let me know.
I have issues with:
13: desired status (should be working, right?)
14: period of stay (I am a seishain, my contract does not have a term)
15: Reason for change of status (uh... "I found a job" or something like it?)
Also in point 19, my degree was none of the things (it was a mash-up of 3 of the topics listed), what should I choose?
Thank you in advance, any help appreciated!!!
by Alya (guest)  

Re: Immigration visa status change form 2018/5/9 08:37
your quote uh... "I found a job" or something like it? would be more serious than this I hope.
Every application of immigration should be filled in well to make the process smooth. How long it takes depends case by case.

You could fill this form also together with your employer or immigration to make it easier.

Secondly please keep in mind that you still cannot work at your new employer until your visa is granted. Unless your current visa is still covering the field you will work for.

Good luck
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Immigration visa status change form 2018/5/9 08:43
Thank you for your answer, but you just stated things I already know.
As I explained, my employer has no experience in this procedure.
I know it has to be filled in carefully, or I wouldn't be asking.
and I already checked and I can work until my current visa is up.
by Alya (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Immigration visa status change form 2018/5/9 09:53
The "desired status" must be more specific than just "working." It has to be one of the following:

http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/kanri/shyorui/02-format.htm...

In that sense (though your employer might not have done it before) you need to involve them in the process - for what skills/job description they are hiring you for, etc.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Immigration visa status change form 2018/5/9 11:18
For 14: period of stay, Immigration has 1 year, 3 years an 5 years visa for working. You can choose the maximum 5 years or 3 years or 1 year. Immigration mentioned that "It may not be as desired after examination". Even though we choose 5 years they may give 1 year depending on factors like your education, salary, working company etc.

5: Reason for change of status , you can simply say "Employment". we filled like this several times for my company employees while processing work visa.

13: desired status should not be simply working. it should be the corresponding to the application form you have chosen from the link provided by AK http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/kanri/shyorui/02-format.htm...

For point 19, we are not sure which type of application you have chosen for change of status of residence.

by rave (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Immigration visa status change form 2018/5/10 09:30
AK, thank you for the answer and the link! It's much clearer now

Rave, thank you! About point 19, I'm going from designated activities to working. I've been hired in a Japanese company, and my studies were Japanese, business and culture... Should I choose "other" in the humanities section and just write this?

Thanks again!
by Alya (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread