Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 22

1 2
next

Advice for 24 days itinerary Hokkaido - Tokyo 2018/5/9 02:01
Hi everyone,

I am going to Japan from 12/06 - 05/05 with the following Itinerary:

I have 2 phases on this trip. First phase i have to accompany my family of 6, from 12th - 18th, then i will continue on my own to Hokkaido
from 18th.

The following is my itinerary :

First Phase:

12th : Osaka (arrive 21.10 by CI)

13th : Osaka - Takayama

14th : Takayama (Kamikochi-Shirakawago)

15th : Takayama - Osaka

16th : Osaka ( Kyoto - Nara)

17th : Osaka (Kobe)

Second Phase:

18th : Osaka - Tokyo - Memanbetsu, Abashiri

** After sending off my family to Kansai International Airport, i am taking a train for 242 minutes to Haneda, Kawasaki.
Plan to leave by 0900 and arrive at 1337, flight from Haneda to Memanbetsu is 1645. May want to visit Doraemon Museum in Kawasaki

19th : Abashiri - Shiretoko Shari (Shiretoko Goko)

20th : Abashiri - Lake Kussharo and Mashu

21st : Abashiri - Asahikawa / Furano

22nd : Asahikawa/Furano - Asahidake

23rd : Asahikawa/Furano - Lavender Farms around Furano / Biei

24th : Asahikawa/Furano - Sapporo

25th : Sapporo ( Lake Toya & Noboribetsu)

26th : Sapporo - Hakodate

27th : Hakodate - Tokyo

28th : Tokyo - Tateyama

29th : Tateyama - Toyama - Tokyo

30th : Tokyo (Nikko)

1st : Tokyo

2nd : Tokyo

3rd : Tokyo - Osaka

4th : Osaka

5th : Osaka (depart CI 0930)

the reason why i made a detour again to Osaka twice are as per following:

- for the first 7 days in Japan i will be accompanying my family who needs my help in Japan
- My promo flight ticket necessitates me to return to Osaka

My main questions are :

1. What transportation modes can i use to explore Lake Kussharo and Mashu? I've only found information from this website, not sure if reliable
http://northern-road.jp/navi/eng/Lake_Mashu_Traffic_Restrictions.pdf

2. Where can i find rental powered cycles around Kawayu Onsen and Furano? Read from the same website if there are free bike rentals around Kawayu Onsen station, not sure if true.

3. Any best way to reach Memanbetsu airport other than flying from Haneda with Airdo? What is Airdo like? How to find bus from Memanbetsu airport to Abashiri?

4. How do i buy Tateyama Kurobe Alpine route option ticket in Tokyo? Can i buy it in Osaka, 12 days before i go to Tateyama? Do i need to exchange them again at Nagano after buying the option ticket?

5. How do i book Hayabusa ticket in advance for my trip from Hakodate - Tokyo? Can i just take reserved seats?

6. Is it worth it to make my first detour to shiretoko just to see the 5 lakes and lakes? If its troublesome i might just cancel it and distribute the days to Asahikawa, Sapporo and Hakodate.

7. I plan to take 21 days JR Pass for this trip, is it worthwhile?

8. What are some good budget / backpack accommodation that you can recommend for me for Asahikawa (e.g. Court Hotel), Sapporo, Abashiri, Tokyo and Osaka? For Honshu island i am seeking something similiar to First Cabin's quality, yet close to pick up point to airport for Osaka's case.

Please share with me your thoughts and advice. Thanks in advance for helpful tips and guide.
by Verdy (guest)  

Re: Advice for 24 days itinerary Hokkaido - Tokyo 2018/5/9 11:10
hi!

I don't have a lot of Hokkaido experience, so I am sure someone else can better answer those questions but...

I think trying to squish Kamikochi and Shirakawa Go into one day would be hard or at the very least only so fun. It takes about 1 hour to get from Takayama to Hirayu. From what I remember of the schedule, the buses are timed so you always end up with 20 minutes to wait there, and then it is another 25 minutes to Kamikochi. So you're looking at a trip that is going to be close to 2 hours each way, ignoring any sort of time you want to actually spend in Kamikochi. It's then close to another hour to get from Takayama to Shirakawa Go. So a 2 hour round trip. You're looking at about 6 hours just of transport and that is assuming all your buses are timed so that you're not waiting around long in Takayama Bus Terminal to either go to Hirayu or to Shirakawa Go. I personally think you might be better off picking one or the other.

I also know this is not a popular opinion here but I am not sure all the travel to and from Takayama is really worth it when you just have a week, unless your family has been to Japan many times before, in which case maybe you want to just spend time in Takayama. You're looking at a close to 3.5 hour trip just to get to Takayama from Shin-Osaka and that is assuming you are actually starting at Shin-Osaka. Again, if your group has been to Kansai many times before, I can see wanting to add something new, but otherwise you might be better off just spending that time in Osaka and making day trips to Kyoto and Nara.

From my experience, you do need to book a reserved seat on the Hayabusa much like you do for the Kagayaki. You should be able to book your seat with a validated JR pass at any seat reservation window. I believe you do need to specifically book a seat or a standing seat if none are available, you can't just hop onto one.

I think in your case I would look at the ANA flight at 15:55 from Chubu to Memanbetsu Airport. Why go all the way to Haneda, it's so far from Osaka.

You can see all the flights that go into Memanbetsu here:
http://mmb-airport.co.jp.e.ug.hp.transer.com/#Flight02

Heck, it might be cheaper to fly from KIX to Tokyo and then make a connection there. I think JAL or ANA had special fares to Hokkaido from Tokyo.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Advice for 24 days itinerary Hokkaido - Tokyo 2018/5/9 12:08
@Rkold :

thanks for your reply :

1. For Shirakawa- Go and Takayama, if its not possible to do them in a day, i do plan moving shirakawa-go to the next morning after we check out from hotel in Takayama.

2. I've been to Japan, but my family only has 1 - 2 members that has been there. One of the agreed reason we had upon planning this trip is to see a great natural scenery at least. Hence, i allocated 3D2N specifically to Takayama. My mother in particular wanted to see something similiar to Jiuzhai Valley in China. Doing a daytrip to Tateyama from Osaka seems a bit tiring for some of my old family members. Unless you can recommend something similiar to Kamikochi, i'd love to change my plan.

3. the reason why i chose to fly from Haneda is because Airdo is offering me @11230 yen ticket for 20kg. I am aware that there is flight from Nagoya, but i will only take it in the event that Airdo ticket becomes more expensive than ANA flight from Nagoya to Memanbetsu. I understand that by doing this i am delaying my arrival in memanbetsu by 2 hrs, but it's not as if there're things to do in Abashiri at night, and i have a JR pass to cover my trip from Osaka - Tokyo. I considered flying from KIX and making connection to Tokyo, but i chose to do part land route due to budget reasons.

4. How do i book the Hayabusa seat again? Thru what website?

by Verdy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Advice for 24 days itinerary Hokkaido - Tokyo 2018/5/9 21:40
Your dates are wrong. Do you mean 12 June til 5 July?

Are you intending on staying overnight in Abashiri, then Asahikawa? Daytrips to the other places? If yes, I strongly suggest you look at travel times and frequency of trains. Those outer areas of Hokkaido don't have a lot of train service. I would recommend you hire a car. If you can't, that's fine but you need to research timings very carefully and don't waste time backtracking.

Yes I would definitely recommend visiting Shiretoko and the Lakes. In fact, if you can squeeze in a visit to Rebun Island you won't regret it. It is stunning, especially on the Motomachi side.
by Sal1980 rate this post as useful

Re: Advice for 24 days itinerary Hokkaido - Tokyo 2018/5/9 21:45
If you can book on-line it would be through JR East, but not all the JR areas have on-line booking. Unless you are traveling during a super crowded time or need to make a specific Hayabusa you should not have an issue booking one in Japan after you arrive. I traveled earlier in the Summer last year and the only trains that were consistently full and I could not get a reserved seat on were the Sakuras. But those have unreserved seats and we had no problem getting those. Most trains if I tried to book a reserved seat several days in advance I had no problem getting a seat.

Have you looked at the special fares for International visitors? I could have sworn you could get a 10,000 yen fare on ANA/JAL.

I've not been to China so can't speak for how the Japanese Alps compare to Jiuzhai Valley. If you have a full day you can do Takayama and Shirakawa Go in one day, if you have a full day you can do Takayama and Kamikochi in one day, but you can't do Kamikochi and Shirakawa Go easily in one day.

If destinations vs budget is the main concern I would do:
Osaka to Takayama nice and early so you have time to sightsee Takayama the day you arrive. So you want to make sure to arrive in Takayama no later than 13:00

Your full day do Kamikochi, if you end up with extra time you can either see more of Hirayu or Shin-Hokata or Takayama. I would stick to buses in that area.

Your 3rd day you can do the morning market in Takayama if it floats your boat, then bus it to Shirakawa Go and then bus from there to Kanazawa and then take the Thunderbird directly back to Osaka. I would think that makes the most sense.

I would look into whether a JR pass really makes sense for your family. It might not.

Good luck!

Re: Advice for 24 days itinerary Hokkaido - Tokyo 2018/5/10 01:28
@Sal1980

Yeah, i wasn't that awake when i typed my post.

Already saw them train schedules on Hyperdia, which as you said isn't that frequent. I'm trying to solve the problem of bus transport between kawayu and Mashu, and i hope Teshikaga eco passport will come out with some new information for June Travel. their info on their website is outdated, and the only vague hint about bus i can find came from this website : http://northern-road.jp/navi/eng/Lake_Mashu_Traffic_Restrictions.pdf

If above information is true, then i can visit both Kussharo and Mashu in one day. If not, i will limit my trip to Teshikaga to just around Kawayu Onsen.

How much is the cruise to Rebun, and can it be taken from Shiretoko Shari?

@rkold

Checked with that as well, but how do i apply for them 10,000 fares? i saw that page from Japan Guide, and another people said to me that info is outdated. Has anyone ever used that promotional fare? Cuz if it really exists then i wouldn't need to go to Tokyo all the way just to take Airdo's 12k airfare. I can't seem to find it in expedia either!

As for Takayama - Kamikochi, my plan for my family goes like this :

0740 depart from Takayama station to Hirayu Onsen
0850 Hirayu Onsen - Taisho ike

Drop at Taisho Ike and then walk all the way to Kamikochi Visitor center ( expect 2 -3 hours)
Lunch at Kamikochi visitor center
Give family option to either continue to Myojin-Ike (another 2 - 3 hours), or return to Takayama / Hirayu Onsen

If continue to Myojin Ike then we shouldn't be able to see Norikura or Shin Hotaka, since i expect we will finish around 2-3 pm

If family wants to explore another part of the alps
return to Hirayu Onsen, either go to Norikura or Shin Hotaka. Might see that Hirayu-taki which is 30 mins from Hirayu Onsen if time allows.

I have no idea what to see in Hirayu Onsen, or if there's a public outdoor onsen we can go to i also have no information nor experience on this.

Our return objective should be last bus around 1840 from Hirayu onsen to Takayama.

On the last day in Takayama before going to Shirakawa-go, i also plan to have them stroll around Miyagawa river if weather is clear, seeing that June has a lot of rains. But i didn't know if we can continue all the way to Kanazawa.

Does the 4 day ticket Alps Shinshu Hida cover the Takayama - Shirakawa Go - Kanazawa line? I'm considering getting the 4 day ticket since it's pretty economical, with 10,440 yen/person for many lines.

I might need to ask my family again, seeing that there're elderlies in our group, i don't think lugging around our luggage would be delightful. Would there be lockers at Kanazawa bus station? How hard is it to get a locker?

As for my family, i have decided that they shouldn't get a JR Pass. it's me who's still considering whether i should or not. 21 day JR pass seems a good option for convinience at this point.

Thank you for your reply, i felt as if i had gained more insight on my itinerary.

Re: Advice for 24 days itinerary Hokkaido - Tokyo 2018/5/10 04:03
Hi again Verdy!

I am not sure what bus schedule you are looking at to see an 8:50 bus from Hirayu. Going by this page:
https://www.nouhibus.co.jp/route_bus/kamikochi-line-en/

If you took the 7:40 or 7:50, you would arrive in Hirayu at about 8:40/8:50 and would then need to wait until 9:00 to catch the next shuttle to Kamikochi. (they run every 30 minutes on the hour and the half going by that site) So you would reach Kamikochi at 9:30. I don't know how "elderly" your family members or what sort of shape they are in. I might want to give yourself some extra time though. I know my 70+ MiL is a great walker while my 70 year old mother is slow. I also know neither of my mother or mother in law would be super excited about trying to catch a 7:40 or 7:50 bus. Most places in Takayama don't start serving breakfast until 7 and depending on where you are staying you need to include getting from there to the bus terminal. I stayed in the Associa both times I was in Takayama and you either need to pay for a cab or take their free shuttle to Takayama Station which will definitely slow you down. There are many places closer to the station, but still make sure you give yourself time for breakfast/getting to the station.
Hirayu onsen has several public onsen. I used Hirayu no Mori which is very close to the bus station when I went there. I don't remember it being terribly expensive and there was an enormous amount of public baths. I don't know what the hikes in Kamikochi are actually like, as we are planning our trip there later in June around the time you are in Hakodate. But I have been looking a lot at the buses to get there because we are staying there 2 nights which is how I know about connections through Takayama.

For your family, you might be better off skipping a rail pass and just getting this pass: http://touristpass.jp/en/takayama_hokuriku/ (The Takayama Hokuriku pass) You would need to pay out of pocket for the trip to Kamikochi and the shinkansen between Shin-Osaka and Nagoya, but would be able to take the faster and more frequent Nozomi. You would have your buses to Shirakawa Go covered as well the Hida from Nagoya to Takayama and the Thunderbird from Kanazawa to Osaka. Since it is good 5 days, I would use it on your first day and you can then use it as well to get from KIX to your first destination in Osaka. It's 6560 with reserved seat on a Nozomi to Nagoya afrom Shin-Osaka and you would need to pay for transport back to KIX at the end, but it will be cheaper than a 1 week pass and makes more sense with your itinerary, you might even want to spend the night in Kanazawa and just cut Kobe from the itinerary since Kobe is OK, but it's someplace I only go to shop. In which case you would still need to pay to visit Kyoto or Nara (you're going to be hard pressed to do them both in one day depending on what you want to do) and you can use either the Keihan line or the Kintetsu line or the Hankyuu line depending on where you are starting and ending.

June can be weird. The last few years I've done to Japan in late June for 10 days to 2 weeks and the majority of my days have been rain-free. I think just the day I visited Nara last year was the rain sort of disruptive.

I bought one of those discounted plane fares from ANA once, but it was back in 2009. I flew Chubu to Hakodate and the flight had some amazing views.

For JAL I would start here:
http://www.world.jal.co.jp/world/en/japan_explorer_pass/ar/

For ANA I would start here:
https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/promotions/share/experience_jp/

I am in the USA and want to search in English since that is sadly the only language I know well. I found this information by going directly to JAL's website for JAL and for ANA I searched on the Experience Japan FARE

You might better off with a 2 week pass? I don't really know trains in Hokkaido well and I do know that you need to always be aware of buses and trains when you are further in the countryside because they just run less frequently. (Example, there is about 1 Limited Express train an hour between Naogya and Takayama. I believe there are only 8 trains a day between Takayama and Toyama. So while technically you can do Takayama to Toyama, I would not recommend it unless you've timed very carefully for your train.)

For luggage I am a huge proponent of takyuubin the paid luggage delivery service. I can't speak for elsewhere in Japan but one of my friends who lived in Osaka until a day or two ago, told me Osaka now has up signs in English warning not to bring any bag larger than a carry-on the subways or risk fines. They've not starting fining people yet according to her, but who knows when they are going to and I would not want to be the example made.

With your current schedule, I would: takyuubin from KIX to Takayama. When you leave Takayama takyuubin to Osaka or directly to KIX depending on how well you can manage with just a carry-on. So I don't know about lockers in Kanazawa but I wouldn't want to be lugging anything more than a small carry-on as is.

Good luck!

Re: Advice for 24 days itinerary Hokkaido - Tokyo 2018/5/10 13:12
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6877.html
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6878.html
http://www.heartlandferry.jp/english/
That's all the info about Rebun. The ferry is from Wakkanai, in the northwest of Hokkaido.

Re: Advice for 24 days itinerary Hokkaido - Tokyo 2018/5/10 13:56

My mother, in particular, wanted to see something similiar to Jiuzhai Valley.

Your mom might be terribly disappointed. Kamikochi is not comparable to Jiuzhai Valley.
You might want to consider the Kurobe gorge instead.
http://www.kurotetu.co.jp/en/railway/index.html
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Advice for 24 days itinerary Hokkaido - Tokyo 2018/5/10 17:09
Not sure this is going to help.

Regarding Kamikochi. The first PP suggested not going all the length to Takayama and just stay in Kansai. If that is an option have you considered replacing the mountain experience with a visit to Koyasan? Just an idea.

I am personally not a big fan of Takayama but enjoyed the outdoor onsen in Hirayu a lot. But you need to allow time for that.

http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.nl/2017/10/day-30-takayama-sightsee...

If instead you go to Kurobe gorge consider staying in a Ryokan there in the valley.

http://bicycletraveljapan.blogspot.nl/2017/10/day-27-kurobe-gorge.html...

Enjoy your trip to Japan!

by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Advice for 24 days itinerary Hokkaido - Tokyo 2018/5/10 17:21
@Rkold

thanks for your input again. I appreciate your thoughts, and your willingness to participate in my itinerary building.

I hadn't considered buying the Hokuriku Pass, but it does seem nice for its many uses. But i did tell my famly that for their 7 days with me they might not need to get any sort of JR Pass. Besides one of our itinerary includes Kobe. Reason why i wanted to go to Kobe is because i wanted to take them to that cable car mountain.

As for Takayama, i told them to stay at Country hotel, which is just 100 m from the station, and i don't think it'd present any problem for us to reach on time.

And for the Hokkaido leg, yeah i will take extra care in reading the bus timings, i know how hard is it to miss a bus.

I will consider getting takyubin if necessary, thanks for your info! Their website should have quote for bagagge sending from Osaka to Takayama right?

@Sal1980 : Wakkanai is a bit far, might not consider it.

@/guest : Kamikochi is on par with Kurobe, and i've been there too. I'd say it'd be second best to Jiuzhai on a clear day.

Re: Advice for 24 days itinerary Hokkaido - Tokyo 2018/5/10 20:54
@LikeBike

I'd love to stay in Osaka and cut less travelling, but i am not sure if Koyasan is nice enough for a first time natural scenery.

I was smitten by Kamikochi, and i think my mom who enjoyed Jiuzhai Valley would love it as well. If she liked her first trip, i hope to bring her to Japan again. She's also fussy person who needed to be convinced that Japan is worth the hassle to go again.

Re: Advice for 24 days itinerary Hokkaido - Tokyo 2018/5/10 21:15
I am planning to go to Shiretoko Go-Ko this June, but it will be bear season by then. And the tourist association made it an obligation for me to pay 5000 yen to see the 5 lakes.

Other than the boardwalk, are there other trails i can explore without having to pay guide fee of 5000 yen, like to Kamui Wakkayu or Furenpe Falls?

Is the 5 lakes really that nice to spend 5000 yen on? I am thinking of taking cruise as well.

Re: Advice for 24 days itinerary Hokkaido - Tokyo 2018/5/10 22:34
Hi,

I'm having difficulties in deciding which town would be a good base for me to explore Shiretoko Go-Ko.

Should i stay in Abashiri or Utoro instead?

Re: Advice for 24 days itinerary Hokkaido - Tokyo 2018/5/11 07:26
Utoro would be more convenient.

The 5000 yen might seem like a lot of money but you realise why, right? You don't want to get mauled by a bear. If you don't want to spend the money, go on the boardwalk. We had small children with us so took the boardwalk option. It was nice, though we didn't see any wildlife and being on the boardwalk makes you feel removed from nature.

The boat cruise would probably be fun if you have the time/money. We didn't do it so I can't vouch for it.

Re: Advice for 24 days itinerary Hokkaido - Tokyo 2018/5/11 09:14
Your schedule for Hokkaido is a bit rushed imo and not taking into consideration the huge distances and even greater amount of time it takes to get around there. I assume you're planning on taking public transportation because you are entering and exiting from two different cities. Trains and buses in Hokkaido are terrible compared to much of the rest of Japan.

Starting from the beginning, You should be able to do Shiretoko Goko in a day if you're careful with the timetables but personally I think that's doing a diserive to the rest of the park which is huge. Lake Kussharo and Mashu barely have any service at all so you need to pick one if you want to do those in a day. You might be able to find a Japanese tour. Overall I would strongly recommend renting a car for this portion of the trip. I've done a similar trip by buses and trains and it took me 4 days to do both areas plus Abashiri.

You should devote a day each to Asahikawa, Asahidake and Furano.

Lake Toya and Noboribetsu are not well connected and service is infrequent. If you're going on to Hakodate anyway, it also doesn't make sense to return to Sapporo after finishing here.

Do you have any plans for Sapporo? There's not really time for it in your current schedule which is fine. I don't recommend much of anything in Sapporo anyway unless you like art. Also the food options there are attractive.

Personally I think Hakodate deserves more than a day too but I guess that depends on what you want to do there.
by brit (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Advice for 24 days itinerary Hokkaido - Tokyo 2018/5/12 02:37
Hi everyone,

I've decided to revise my itinerary for Shiretoko Leg.

Please give me your thoughts about it.

Before reading, it might be helpful that i post some of my questions first :

1 . Isn't it easier to find accommodation in Abashiri than Utoro? in Utoro unfortunately there's only 2 backpacker's accoms, so i am a bit limited in choice.

2. On shari bus schedule, it's said they offer course schedules, Like B and C Course. I'm not sure what does this course offer in advantage other than taking the normal bus. Please enlighten me on this part.

Original Itinerary :

18th : Osaka via Haneda/Nagoya - Memanbetsu - Abashiri

Arrive at Memanbetsu airport 1830, arrive at Abashiri around 1930. Check in at hotel and Dinner

OR

Leave Kansai Airport by 0845 Arrive 1135 at NGO (Central Japan Airport)

flight : ANA SGD 136 Fly to Memanbetsu by 1400, arr 1555.

Check in at accommodation and rest.

19th : Leave hotel around 0620, take the 0640 train to Mashu Lake, arrive at 0835. Go to the tourist center, and wait for bus at 1035

Spend 40 mins at the observation before returning to Kawayu Onsen with bus 1150.

reach Kawayu Onsen on 1340, then you have free time to explore the lake until 1739

reach Abashiri 1945.

dinner and rest early

20th : Leave Hotel around 0620, take the 0640 train to Shiretoko Shari, expect to arrive around 0722. Take the Shari Bus direct Shiretoko Go-Ko by 0810, arrive at Shiretoko 5 lakes at 0935/1040. From there you can have 6 hours until 1640. Take this time to take trekking course of 3 hours for 5000 yen, and visit the boardwalk for 1.5 hours.

Free time until 1640. then return by last bus, arrive at Shari Bus Terminal 1750, then train to Abashiri 1852,

back by 19.38 and rest early.

Bus Timetable source : http://www.sharibus.co.jp/pdf/2017-04-P1.pdf

21st : Use your free time to go to the prison museum before going to Asahikawa, 4 hrs ++

Internet recommended Plan

18th : Osaka - Nagoya - Memanbetsu

Leave Kansai Airport by 0845

Arrive 1135 at NGO (Central Japan Airport)

flight : ANA SGD 136

Fly to Memanbetsu by 1400, arr 1555

take the 1852 train from Abashiri to Shiretoko Shari

stay at Route Inn Grantia for 1 night SGD 98

19th - 21st

Move up to Bon's home.

Recommended Itinerary :

18th : Osaka - Nagoya - Memanbetsu

Leave Kansai Airport by 0845

Arrive 1135 at NGO (Central Japan Airport)

flight : ANA SGD 136

Fly to Memanbetsu by 1400, arr 1555

take the 1852 train from Abashiri to Shiretoko Shari

stay at Route Inn Grantia for 1 night SGD 98

19th : Shari - Lake Mashu / Kawayu - Utoro

Check out from hotel and leave baggage there for a while, or at the JR locker

You can leave 0726 train from Shiretoko Shari to Mashu

Arrive 0835 to Mashu Station, wait for the 1030 Bus

Arrive at the 1st Observatory around 1055

spend 30 minutes at the observatory

leave with the 1125 bus back to Mashu station, arrive 1150 am

Spend another 1 hour until 1303, then take bus from Mashu station to Kawayu Onsen, arrive 1340

You have time until 1547, that's and estimated 90 minutes free time to explore Iozan and Kawayu Onsen. Get a bike

take the train from Kawayu Onsen at 1547 and arrive at 1632.

Grab your bag and either you take the 1720 bus to Utoro Onsen Bus terminal, arrive at 1810

Check in at Bon's Home. It is important you stay there since it's only 400 m.

Dinner and rest early.

20th : Utoro - Shiretoko Go Ko

Take 910 Bus to Shiretoko Go-Ko, expect to arrive at Shiretoko Go Ko 935

Take your booked tour at 1000, finish at 1. You then have free time to explore the area

until 1640. Cease all activities by 1600.

Take 1640 Bus back to Utoro, arrive 1700

You can explore whatever you want until the sun sets

Dinner and free activity, rest early.

Maybe Astrophotography?

21st : Utoro - Asahikawa

You have free time until 0930, on which you must be ready at Utoro Bus terminal

take the bus back to Shiretoko Shari, and reach there by 1020.

take the 1112 train back to Abashiri, on which later you take connecting train at 1235 to Asahikawa (224 mins)

arrive at Asahikawa 1619.

If you're continuing to Furano, take another connecting train at 1632

Arrive at Furano 1741.

Bus time table sources :

http://www.akanbus.co.jp/localbu/biruwa.htm

http://www.akanbus.co.jp/localbu/mashu.htm

http://www.sharibus.co.jp/pdf/2017-04-P1.pdf

Re: Advice for 24 days itinerary Hokkaido - Tokyo 2018/5/12 02:42
@Sal1980 :

Thanks for your input. Will try to make the best out of my short itinerary in Hokkaido.

But in terms of backpacker accommodation Abashiri seems to offer more.

@brit :

Unfortunately due to my country licence i am not allowed to rent a car in Japan, so i have to travel backpacker style.

I've been thinking of doing Lake Toya during my transit from Sapporo. Is it feasible as a stop over? I

If i could do so, i'd do it like this . Sapporo - Noboribetsu - Lake Toya - Hakodate.

Is this wishful thinking?

For Sapporo i'd love to extend 1 more day, but my time is limited since i plan to take Hayabusa to Tokyo.

in Hakodate i'm interested in going to the old quarters and the mountain, which i will do upon arrival at Hakodate.

Please review my Shiretoko revised itinerary. Will post Asahikawa/Furano itinerary tomorrow.

Re: Advice for 24 days itinerary Hokkaido - Tokyo 2018/5/12 18:38

Re: Advice for 24 days itinerary Hokkaido - Tokyo 2018/5/14 01:29
@Salk :

thanks for your recommendation.

I have decided to spend 1 night in Shari, 2 nights in Utoro

1 Night with Route Inn Grantia Shari

2 nights @ Bon's Home / Shiretoko Hostel Hanare.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 22

1 2
next

reply to this thread