Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hida Wide 2018/5/9 12:27
Hi,

Seeking JG expert input.

Original plan, Chubu Centrair to Kanazawa, 3 hrs.

Considering Hida Wide to Toyama, ONLY for views, 4.5 hrs. Scenic views, especially mountains, valleys, are highlight for us. Also, Kanazawa is not priority (second visit).

I believe Nagoya to Takayama is considered very scenic. What about Takayama to Toyama portion?

Thoughts please, thank you, PH
by papayahead  

Re: Hida Wide 2018/5/10 08:53
Hi Papayahead,

I've done the full Hida route (Nagoya to Takayama, Takayama to Toyama) I thought the Takayama to Toyama half was quite scenic or at least as scenic as the earlier half.

What I didn't like about the route is there are not all that many Hidas that run the full route so just make sure you are booked on a train that does the full route or has a minimum stop over in Takayama (unless you want a stopover there.) There are 4 non-stops between Nagoya and Toyama a day.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Hida Wide 2018/5/10 15:07
Thanks RK, good advice and input, Mahalo
by papayahead rate this post as useful

Re: Hida Wide 2018/5/10 17:35
If you have enough time, local trains are also an option. Not as fancy, but they do have large windows.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Hida Wide 2018/5/10 17:43
What I didn't like about the route is there are not all that many Hidas that run the full route (...) There are 4 non-stops between Nagoya and Toyama a day.

Four a day is plenty for this sort of tourist-oriented trains. Most are just one or two, and not every day.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Hida Wide 2018/5/11 02:01
Thank you

My main concern is, does this ride warrant a detour? Are the views that spectacular?

I watched couple youtube videos and not sure.....

We've been fortunate during past Japan trips, to ride through, in my opinion, very scenic areas....

BTW, we will ride train from Nakatsugawa to Nagoya. Also drive from Gujo Hachiman to Okuhida, and Okuhida to Kurobe Unazuki.

More thoughts welcomed!

Re: Hida Wide 2018/5/11 04:38
Hi. I've done that trip a few times and my thoughts were that the leg from Nagoya to Takayama is the most scenic trip I've been on (once you get in the mountains). It is especially good at the front of the train as you can see out past the driver. From Takayama to Toyama starts nicely but the last section (once you get out of the mountains) isnt as good.

I wouldnt like to build it up too much, though. The trip from Kyoto to Kinosaki onsen is pretty nice too, or the trip from Hakata to Yufuin, but it is definitely worth a bit of a reshuffle to go that way.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hida Wide 2018/5/11 07:48
Appreciate all thoughts!

Hmm, the moment I knock Hida Wide off my list, another "most scenic" comment.

I'm afraid of being disappointed. I've discovered that although I LOVE Japan, a few, very few, highly rated spots, were disappointing. These areas tend to have been "highly marketed".

Our last trip was Kumano Kodo, Nakahechi route. Bus ride from Takajiri to Tanabe was beautiful, IMO.
Even a simple ride through Tono Valley, and on to Sanriku coast was stunning.

I think the youtube videos don't give a full picture of the scenery....

Thanks for help, btw, we would not stop in Takayama, merely Nagoya to Kanazawa.

PH

reply to this thread