Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bitten by mosquitoes, Taketomi 2018/5/11 20:17
Hi
Been visiting Ishigaki and a few of the islands. Noticed I was bitten by several mosquitoes while in Taketomi and when returning to the hotel after sunset.

I am really worried I might be infected with JEV virus since they say there is a big risk around here...

I don't know what to do if I start showing symptoms as I don't speak very good Japanese to explain well enough...
by Bit (guest)  

Re: Bitten by mosquitoes, Taketomi 2018/5/12 14:47
There being no specific treatment for JEV there is nothing to do except manage symptoms which you can do when back home. You are at very low risk anyway, so just use common repellants.

https://www.cdc.gov/japaneseencephalitis/index.html
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bitten by mosquitoes, Taketomi 2018/5/12 22:15
since they say there is a big risk around here
Who says there is a big risk?
Most reliable sources I reference say there is a small risk. There is a higher risk for pigs/wild boar based on a study from 2005-07.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Bitten by mosquitoes, Taketomi 2018/5/12 22:43
a very low risk for infection.
but, once infected, you may have some risk for your life.
I think a risk for infection is less than a risk that you have a traffic accident.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bitten by mosquitoes, Taketomi 2018/5/13 03:13
Youfre fine. I have been all over Japan, and always return from days out covered in bites and have never gotten sick. The risk is tiny, so until something bad happens stop wasting time worrying, go and enjoy yourself.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Bitten by mosquitoes, Taketomi 2018/5/15 05:49
I wouldn't worry. Just get yourself some muhi or kinkan to relieve the itch and enjoy the rest of your trip.
by Taco Grande rate this post as useful

reply to this thread