Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

A Half-day in Kyoto 2018/5/13 19:21
Hello! I'm planning to go for a half-day trip with my family because we're staying around Dotonbori in Osaka so we decide to take an early train at 7.30 from JR-Namba to Kyoto Station (because we had JR-Pass ) and this is what we're planning to do :

Kyoto

- Take a City Bus from Kyoto to Kinkaku-ji
- Take a train back to Kyoto Station to go to Fushimi Inari Shrine
- Take a cab ( heard it's expensive ?) to Kiyomizudera
- Explore ninennzaka to hanamikoji dori ( maybe visit Yasaka Shrine)

Also, any suggestions on affordable kimono rental shop around osaka ? Was planning to visit Nishiki Market but heard it wasn't that good and i skip Arashiyama Grove because i feel like it will be a little rushed to go there. Would like to know if i should use a cab to some places as well :)

by Kristian (guest)  

Re: A Half-day in Kyoto 2018/5/13 20:07

You might want to consider shinkansen to Kyoto with your JR pass:
Assuming you stay near Shinsaibashi Station, take Midosuji Line to Shin-Osaka 13 mins, ‰~230 and
Tokaido-Sanyo Shinkansen to Kyoto 13 mins.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: A Half-day in Kyoto 2018/5/13 21:42
I do think your plan is unrealistic for one day due to the distances between the locations. Kyoto is a spread out city that takes ages to travel around. Fushimi and Tofukuji is an example of a good half day, being locations close to one another....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: A Half-day in Kyoto 2018/5/13 22:59
Hello
Have you considered going straight to Fushimi inari shrine from Namba?
It'll cost you about 600 yen per person but you can catch the Midosuji line to Yodoyabashi station then change to the Keihan line to bring you right to Fushimi inari station. We just got back from doing something similar a few days ago.

I'd consider Namba to Fushimi Inari (2x trains) then to Kizomizudera (1x train but theres like 20 minutes of walking) then to Kinkakuji (1x city bus). After that you can loop back down and do hanamikojidori if you wish (we walked through it accidentally - not much to see, some street food though!). I doubt you'll be able to fit in Arashiyama but if you do it'd be interesting.

I was based in Kyoto so managed to fit a lot of stuff in although there were days where we didn't leave the hotel till 9am. If you leave early enough you should be able to to too. Really depends when you need to be back in Osaka...
by Kiz (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: A Half-day in Kyoto 2018/5/14 03:36
That is too much for a half-day.

(1) You can take a JR Nara line from Kyoto station to Inari station (for Fushimi Inari).
(2) Take a Keihan train from Fushimi Inari station (several blocks away from JR Inari station) to Kiyomizu Gojo station and walk to Kiyomizu-dera temple. Prepare for lots of walk. You can continue walk to Ninenzaka area and Yasaka shrine. And with more walk you can reach Nishiki Market.
(3) If you have any time left at this point, you can take trains (Hankyu Kyoto Line and Keifuku rail, transfer at Omiya station) to Arashiyama bamboo grove. From there you can take a JR train back to Kyoto station. I recommend skipping Kinkakuji, because you need to take a bus and it takes too long.
by miyako (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: A Half-day in Kyoto 2018/5/14 15:17
Thanks for the replies !
1. I think i'll just take the train from JR-Namba to Inari Station, even though Hyperdia, Google and Japan Travel official application suggested that i take JR-Namba to Imamiya to Osaka to Kyoto then Inari
2. Do you guys think i can just use a cab to Kiyomizu dera ? But i still don't know which station i should go to take a cab from whether it's Kyoto Station ( Inari to Kyoto ) or Tofukuji ( Inari to Kyoto) for cheaper and more efficient way
3. Is it not possible to visit Kinkakuji though ? Should i just order a cab from kyoto station ? I wouldn't mind pay a little more to get there so i would really appreciate any suggestion :)
by kyousai96 rate this post as useful

Re: A Half-day in Kyoto 2018/5/14 16:38
Assuming you need to leave Kyoto by 12, visiting 3 locations is a max, and I doubt you can really enjoy what the site offers. It will be touch and go. Most of the known temples in Kyoto requires admission fee (except Kiyomizudera). Where is your next destination after Kyoto?
by Moccy rate this post as useful

Re: A Half-day in Kyoto 2018/5/14 17:26
Skip Kiyomizudera temple. The main hall is covered up for renovation now.
by Michang (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread