Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is 144,000 yen monthly enough for two people? 2018/5/14 22:23
Hello everyone!

I'm looking for scholarships to study in Japan, and I found MONBUKAGAKUSHO (MEXT). The scholarship offers a full cover of academic costs (admission exams, enrollment fees), and a monthly stipend of \144,000. I believe it doesn't include accommodation but I have found a forum where it says 144,000 is more than enough to live as a student.

BUT, I am married woman,and I'd like to know if this money is enough for two people. I'm still looking for universities and I'm not sure which one would be best, though I'm quite interested in a school located in Niigata city.

Please let me know your thoughts.
Thank you!
Karen

by Nerakana  

Re: Is \ 144,000 monthly enough for two people? 2018/5/15 10:40
It really depends on how much of that is eaten by accomodation/transportation costs. I pay about 30,000 for my rend + utilities and zero for transportation, so it works well for me. On the other hand, if you pay 50-60,000 for accomodation plus 15,000 for transportation, it's more difficult.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Is \ 144,000 monthly enough for two people? 2018/5/15 14:16
What kind of visa will your significant other use? I am not sure if he could get a dependent visa, as you are not working. Try to check that out.
If he comes on his own visa (eg student visa) then he would be also allowed to work part time and add to the family income.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is \ 144,000 monthly enough for two people? 2018/5/15 14:20
I am not sure if he could get a dependent visa, as you are not working.

People on "Student" status 8and similar like "Cultural activities") can sponsor dependents.

Re: Is \ 144,000 monthly enough for two people? 2018/5/15 15:37
Hi Karen

It will be marginal. I also came down as an ADB student and started living with the 150k stipend. My advice is that you ask your spouse to follow you after about 3 months so you can settle down for the first 2 months. Sometimes the apartment needs cleaning fees and deposits which cannot be afforded when 2 people are living on 145k. (I did the same when my wife came after 3 months and it was easy for me to decide what she should bring from my country and what she could buy from Japan.)

Mostly Universities provide dormitory for a years stay so when you apply try to apply for a couple room. It really saves money. Sometimes you will be able to obtain the 28 hour part time work permit at the airport but your spouse will definitely have to go to an immigration office to do so. Try to ask him to look for jobs untill that time.

I am not sure about the living conditions (in Niigata) but as it gets very cold in the winter and the utility charges increase greatly, either one of you will have to do some part time job to save some money
by Adi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is \ 144,000 monthly enough for two people? 2018/5/16 07:54
I would say, no. IMO it is poverty for one person in Japan (why young students might put up with it), and for two you need more income.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Is \ 144,000 monthly enough for two people? 2018/5/16 08:27
IMO it is poverty for one person in Japan

You don't know what you are talking about. When you don't pay income tax or pension, your health insurance premiums are negligible, your commuter pass (if you use one) is discounted, etc., you are left with even more disposable income that many employed people.

Re: Is \ 144,000 monthly enough for two people? 2018/5/16 08:40
144,000 yen for two persons? I can't even imagine such a life.
I think this is very real.
http://www.g-studyinjapan.jasso.go.jp/en/modules/pico/index.php?conten...
by LetsTalkAboutIt (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is \ 144,000 monthly enough for two people? 2018/5/16 09:38
generally speaking, married university students are relatively rare in Japan, and in such cases, either or both parents support them financially at least during school lives. (it is quite ordinary that parents support children financially up to graduations (i.e. 22 years old)).
thus, scholarships are originally planned for one young person.
if you bring family member(s), it is your obligation that you pay your family expense.
scholarship is not considered as earning in Japan. income tax will not be charged.

practically, I think the governmental scholarship is very competitive. you have to have very good high school scores. they just classify all applicants in the order of high school score. I think they don't care about your eager to Japan very much.
it seems that there are two ways to apply the scholarship, through the Embassy of Japan in your country and universities in Japan. there is some information about 2015' acceptance from Mexico. it was only about 20 students.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is \ 144,000 monthly enough for two people? 2018/5/16 09:51
I lived in Japan 4 years ago so prices have changed since then. For most people, it should be possible to live on this amount for one person on the proviso that you live very frugally and possibly complete some minor work during vacations to supplement your income.

There may be a small possibility of living on this scholarship for two people, but it would not be much of a life. You would have to count each yen and it would be terribly difficult. The comment of heating is a big one if you are moving to Niigata as it's expensive to heat and it gets TOO cold! Cheap accommodation normally means old buildings which means bad insulation.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Is \ 144,000 monthly enough for two people? 2018/5/16 14:06
As suggested. 144,000 is not at all enough for 2 adults, especially if one of them is staying at home all day.

144,000 is well enough for a student who can live in one of those tiny "one-room" apartments where (s)he barely comes home, can eat three meals a day at the affordable university cafeteria or nearby restaurants that offer student discount, while using the facility's restroom, can go to free doctors and dentists that most universities offer for their students, and can do part time jobs.

But if the other person stays at home, you need a bigger space, and more money for water and electricity as well as food.

So it depends on your spouse's lifestyle and how he can support himself to a certain extent. Either way, you can't support an extra adult with 144,000 alone.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread