Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visa expires next month 2018/5/15 15:12
Hello!I need advice.
Here's my situation:

I'm currently on a student visa and I've been working part-time in the same company for more than one year, now they offered me a job and I'm waiting for them to send me the documents to apply for the work visa.

The problem is, I only have a 2 years degree, and I'm not sure if it's going to be accepted by the immigration. It's a huge company that is used to deal with these procedures because they have many foreigner employees. They're taking a lot of time to prepare my documents because they want to make sure it will be ok. And I was told that if my visa is denied I probably won't be able to get it through a different company as well.

Second part:

My boyfriend is japanese and we're afraid if my work visa is denied we won't be able to be together, so we've been thinking about getting married.

My question is, can we apply for a spouse visa within a short period if my work visa is denied? Maybe we'll get married while waiting for my company's results (since we can't apply for both at the same time) and apply for the spouse visa then.

My visa expires next month and I'm really confused about which one is the best option.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance (:
by M. (guest)  

Re: Visa expires next month 2018/5/15 15:43

My question is, can we apply for a spouse visa within a short period if my work visa is denied?

Yes, but if you intend to get married anyway, there seems to be no point in applying for the "work visa".
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Visa expires next month 2018/5/15 15:52
Actually, your current status will probably be expired by the time a decision is made, so if the decision is negative, in principle you must leave immediately. It seems safer to get married now, drop the "work visa" application, and apply for a "spouse visa".
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Visa expires next month 2018/5/15 16:33
It may depend on your homecountry but getting married in Japan is not that easily and getting all the nessescary documents from your country will take some time... I am afraid that 1month won`t be enough.
I also just have a 2years degree, from a japanese college, and I was the first foreigner who my company hired. I got a 5year visa with no problem. Of course every case is different.
I dont know you and your boyfriend and how long you are dating, but getting married is a huge thing and shouldnt be rushed because of the visa. There is always another way, at least my boyfriend (now husband) and I decided like that.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa expires next month 2018/5/15 20:02
Thank you for the answers!

It seems my university is not recognized in Japan as a valid one (at least that's what the person from the company told me last week), so they're checking with the immigration to see what are the chances to get my visa approved.

For the marriage I already have the certificate of no impediment from my country and at the moment I'm waiting for it to be translated into japanese (I wonder if I need to translate my passaport too?)
by M. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa expires next month 2018/5/15 20:30
Ah I see! I`m glad to hear you already have the certificate :)
Yes, you need to translate your passport, but normally you can do this by yourself, you will get the format at the city hall!
I was sooo surprised that I was even allowed to translate the certificate from my homecountry by myself in front of the city hall staff haha
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa expires next month 2018/5/16 07:48
Getting married in Japan is pretty easy if you have the correct documents (full birth certificate and passport being the main documents), and anyone can do the translation. Even the forms are not too hard, especially as you have someone able to fill them out in Japanese.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Visa expires next month 2018/5/16 11:05
Thank you very much for all the useful information!I also have a new birth certificate issued last month.

I suppose all documents submitted to the city hall must be in japanese, but when applying for the visa, for any other documents only english is fine?(I'm not from an english speaking country)

Thank you (:
by M. (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread