Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How can I buy ume seeds to grow? 2018/5/16 21:03
I'd like to grow some ume trees, but I can't find seeds or young trees here. I don't know where to look, and I'm only a very low level beginner with the Japanese language (though I'd like to keep learning!).
by Lailoken  

Re: How can I buy ume seeds to grow? 2018/5/17 11:41
Most home centers have a garden area, and will have ume saplings.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How can I buy ume seeds to grow? 2018/5/17 16:20
Not many people grow ume from seeds.

As for nursery trees, you can find them at suburban garden stores, but just as it is with all plants, they are available only during its season, because if it's off-season, you won't be able to successfully grow it anyway. You can also buy them on-line, but it's best to consult at a store to get the right soil and the proper way to plant/grow it.

The best season to plant trees seems to be during December to March. Tell us what area you'll be living at then, and someone may be able to find a garden store near you.

Or if you want to take your chances and grow them from seeds, you should take a seed out of a ripe fruit during July and August, wash it, seal it in a plastic bag, and keep it in the fridge until November.

Hope it helps.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: How can I buy ume seeds to grow? 2018/5/17 17:46
I think the OP is in the US. Not sure about US import but importing live trees might not be that easy. Might need quarantine or special permits.

I recently heard about a Japanese gardening shop somewhere around San Francisco if I remember correctly. I think it was a program in BBC world service. Try googling and see if they sell it.

Enjoy gardening!
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How can I buy ume seeds to grow? 2018/5/17 21:16
Paul and Uco,

LikeBike is correct. I live in the US. Additionally, San Francisco is on the other side of the country from me, and I've thus far been unable to find any information about the Japanese gardening shop out there.

If I could find and purchase a sapling, that would be great! I just don't really know where to look for one.

I should have been a little more clear in my original message, but I'm hoping to find some way to buy some seeds or saplings online and have them shipped here. I don't know much about special permits for such things, but a quick search on the subject leads me to believe it's going to be something I'll need.

Even with the issue of having to find and apply for a permit, I'd still like to know if anyone has any idea of where I could begin searching for seeds and/or saplings. I'm not currently able to travel to Japan or San Francisco to buy them. Ordering them online is probably going to be the route I'll need to take.
by Lailoken rate this post as useful

Re: How can I buy ume seeds to grow? 2018/5/17 22:20
Have you discussed it with a local gardener or retailer in your area? That's where I would turn to if it were in Japan, or California where we used to live, so I'm assuming it works similarly in your area. I also found the following discussion which might or might not help.
https://www.daleysfruit.com.au/forum/prunus-mume/
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: How can I buy ume seeds to grow? 2018/5/17 22:54
http://www.burntridgenursery.com/Flowering-Plum/products/119/
this seems to be Japanese ume tree.
you can buy it in US.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How can I buy ume seeds to grow? 2018/5/17 22:59
It might have been this one I remember hearing about:
https://www.kitazawaseed.com/

I think the they were originally found it in California but then had some succession problems and moved somewhere else, maybe
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How can I buy ume seeds to grow? 2018/5/18 02:43
I just ordered a few saplings from Burnt Ridge Nursery and a few seeds from eBay.

I've been looking for seeds and/or saplings for a Prunus Mume tree for so long now. Obviously, I should have come here first for advice. :) You all have been an enormous help. Thank you so much!
by Lailoken rate this post as useful

reply to this thread