Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Supermarket price difference central Tokyo 2018/5/19 05:59
So grocery prices differ from central Tokyo to, say, Saitama pref., but by how much exactly? How much can I save if I do my shopping outside of central Tokyo?

I love crowds and big cities so living around Shinjuku or Shibuya is a dream for me, but if I get to save a significant amount of money by living elsewhere I would gladly do so :)

Note that I'm not asking about rent prices, I wanted to know about food/groceries/supermarket prices please!
by btyemi  

Re: Supermarket price difference central Tokyo 2018/5/19 10:07
it is the comparison of the average price. it does not mean that all supermarkets in Tokyo are higher than those in other areas.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Supermarket price difference central Tokyo 2018/5/19 10:10
http://www.shufoo.net/
Go to above site and have fun checking out all the supermarket grocery price pamphlet.
You'll get a rough idea.
by @.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Supermarket price difference central Tokyo 2018/5/19 21:09
Ah thank you that site is amazing!! That's exactly what I wanted, thanks!!!
by btyemi rate this post as useful

Re: Supermarket price difference central Tokyo 2018/5/19 22:34
My staff live in Saitama and their prices are a bit less than mine in west Tokyo for fruit/veg/meat, but not for other things. I don't live in the central city, but when I do occassionally look at prices, they are not so different. I do see some bigger differences when travelling in the regions and at markets (like Omi-cho in Kanazawa where I am today), but while some things are cheaper, it is not huge.
Your bigger price difference will be accommodation - it you want to live Shibuya/Shinjuku then the price you pay will (IMO) be much larger than somewhere further out. i.e. rent plus food in Shibuya much greater than Saitama. Even if food was 10,000 yen/month less, rent might be 20k or more extra in the city. I was looking at something in Shibuya recently that was double the price of my current place.
Putting another way, if I was to spend 100k+/month on rent and I eat well and spend 100k/month on food living in central Tokyo, moving to Saitama I might spend 60k+ on a better/larger apartment and 90k on food. If you choose to spend your money on a particular area, then food costs will be a minor consideration.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Supermarket price difference central Tokyo 2018/5/23 00:31
Yeah, I actually arrived to the same conclusion...I thought if food were cheaper I might be able to save some bucks, along the lines of 20k or something, but that's definitely not the case. Prices aren't all that different and even if I live in central Tokyo I might still take the subway to go to other central Tokyo areas and end up spending the same as if I were living in Saitama and occasionally went to central areas for tourist attraction visits, etc.

I guess Saitama it is then!

by btyemi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread