Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Accompany Work-and-Holiday Visa for 1 year 2018/5/30 18:06
My wife will spend 1 year in Japan based on a Work-and-Holiday Visa. I'd like to accompany her but cannot apply for a Work-and-Holiday Visa (dependent visa is not applicable for work and holiday).

We would like to study for approximately 6 Months on a Japanese Language school. Therefore I can apply for a students visa during this period.

Is it feasible / permitted for me to enter the country per Tourist Visa (90,180 days) change to Student visa (6 months) and change back to tourist visa (90,180 days), to have a residence permit during the 1 year? Or are there any other options for me (studying the entire year is not feasible for me since we need to be independent of the location for some time)?
by joeso  

Re: Accompany Work-and-Holiday Visa for 1 year 2018/5/30 18:46
Did your wife mention in her visa application that she plans to study for 6 months? I am surprised the visa was granted... If you plan to study, you should get a Student visa; that's not what WH is for.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Accompany Work-and-Holiday Visa for 1 year 2018/5/30 22:19
Yes, see
https://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/w_holiday/index.html (2 Eligibility to participate in the working holiday programmes). It does not ban you participate in a language school.
by joeso rate this post as useful

Re: Accompany Work-and-Holiday Visa for 1 year 2018/6/12 17:04
My question is not related to the WH visa, but more about combining a student visa (6mo) with a tourist visa. I think that shall be ok at least by leaving and re-entry Japan. Any experiences?
by joeso rate this post as useful

Re: Accompany Work-and-Holiday Visa for 1 year 2018/6/12 17:39
that shall be ok at least by leaving and re-entry Japan

With fingerprinting, digital photo, biometry, databases...? Nope. Staying 6 months as student, leaving and coming back soon after it not going to look good and doing re-entry twice is surely going to be very difficult at immigration gates.
by Name (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Accompany Work-and-Holiday Visa for 1 year 2018/6/13 08:55
doing re-entry twice is surely going to be very difficult at immigration gates.
Based on what reasoning? If the OP is entering validly under the rules you can visit many time across a year with no issue. Lots of people do that all the time when travelling for tourism or business. My re-entry into the country multiple times a year was never questioned, nor the people I was working with.
If, on the other-hand, the OP is doing something against the rules, then they may face some additional scrutiny.
Apply for a student visa and do your school for six months, but combining student visa and toursit permits is more difficult. I would suggest you check with an official channel rather than an internet forum. For issues of residency and visas, it pays to get good advice. While you are about it, also check your tax obligations as Japan would be entitled to tax you on any worldwide income as you may be tax resident.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

reply to this thread