Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 23

1 2
next

Honeymoon itinerary for next October in Japan 2018/5/30 22:38
Hello everyone,

I would appreciate it muchly if anyone could help me plan a honeymoon itinerary for the upcoming October in Japan.

This is my preliminary plan (16 days/15 nights excluding flights). I'm looking rather for a relaxed plan (not to rush things)

(1) First six days in Tokyo - including a side trip to Nikko.
- Do you recommend a side trip to Mt. Fuji or Kamakura?
- Any other recommended side trips?

(2) Three days - Kyoto including a side trip to Nara
- Any other side trips?

(3) One day - Mt. Koya

(4) One day - Kanazawa

(5) Two days in Takayama (both days of the Takayama Matsuri)
- Would you recommend being both days for the Takayama Matsuri?
- Do you know any recommended hotels?

(6) One day - Nagoya

(7) One day - Hakone
- Ryokan with

(8) Last day in Tokyo before flight next day

I have several more questions
- Would you recommend adding Hiroshima/Miyajima or Osaka/Himeji?
- Would you recommend any other changes in the plan?
- Do you know any specific hotels that you would recommend?
- I have heard there is a train track with nice scenery around that shouldn't be missed, does anyone know its name?

Thank you all in advance!
by Biskit7  

Re: Honeymoon itinerary for next October in Japan 2018/6/2 21:13
2) Three days - Kyoto including a side trip to Nara
- Any other side trips?

Kyoto is the most interesting place in Japan. I would recommend you to just stay in Kyoto and enjoy itself. Or you might better allocate more days for Kyoto and reduce Tokyo days.

(5) Two days in Takayama (both days of the Takayama Matsuri)
- Would you recommend being both days for the Takayama Matsuri?
- Do you know any recommended hotels?

Have you checked the hotel rate for 9th to 11th? It would be very expensive. Do you really want to see the festival? You might better consider other dates.

- I have heard there is a train track with nice scenery around that shouldn't be missed, does anyone know its name?

Maybe Wide View Hida limited express from Nagoya to Takayama?
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Honeymoon itinerary for next October in Japan 2018/6/6 09:35
Thanks a lot
by Biskit7 rate this post as useful

Re: Honeymoon itinerary for next October in Japan 2018/6/6 10:25
Hi! Your trip looks great. You look busy enough so I woundnt push it and go to Miyajima though it is pretty there and Peace Park is significant even if you werent expecting it to be.

I would stay overnight at Nara. Look at Nara Hotel in the old section. It is expensive but awesome and a real experience in class and history. Breakfast there is a real treat. It is one of the "classic hotels" in Japan (Tokyo Station is another, so is Hotel Kanaya at Nikko) that were built in the late 1800's to early 1900's and retain real charm, we make a point of staying in at least one each trip.

Agreed on the wideview Hida to Takayama. Takayama is a lovely town (some arent that impressed but I like it). If you are from a place without squirrels (as I am, we are from Australia) there is a nature park 5 minutes out of town with a squirrel avairy in it. It is awesome.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Honeymoon itinerary for next October in Japan 2018/6/6 12:41
If I were you, I'd take a day off of Tokyo and add it to Kansai - add a day trip to Himeji. The castle is the best original surviving castle in the country and the Kokoen Garden next to it is superb.

A 2nd day trip from Tokyo is a good idea - up to your interests, and if the Fuji area, you need to decide either on the Fuji 5 Lakes area or Hakone. Some good hot spring places for your honeymoon sounds good too. Kamakura is good too, but there is also Takao, the Boso Peninsula (Nokogiriyama), Kusatsu, Karuizawa, and others.

Not sure why you'd pick Nagoya. Even the taxi driver I had in Nagoya dissed the city. Every place has something of course, but you could choose somewhere else. Meiji Mura in Inuyama for example is just wonderful.

If it is your honeymoon, pick out some good love hotels - they are inexpensive ans quite memorable. In Tokyo, try Love Hotel Hill near Shibuya Station.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Honeymoon itinerary for next October in Japan 2018/6/9 01:30
Hello everyone,

thank you for your responses, they've helped me enormously to improve the itinerary. Here's a more updated one.

Day 2 - 09/26 - Tokyo - Arrival at Haneda Airport

Late arrival in Haneda airport - 22:45
I've found out that this "Airport Limousine Bus" is the only option that I have https://www.limousinebus.co.jp/. According to its timetable, last departure from Haneda Airport to Shinjuku Station West Exit is at 2:20. Has anyone used this bus before and would confirm this? Do I have to book the ticket in advance?
We are thinking to stay in the Hotel Niwa Tokyo, any thoughts about it?

Day 3 - 09/27 - Tokyo - Shibuya (incl Harajuku)

Meiji Jingu shrine & Yoyogi park
Takeshita Dori
Omotesando
Shibuya Crossing, Tokyo Tower, Hachiko Statue

Day 4 - 09/28 - Tokyo - Chiyoda
Breakfast at the Tsukiji Fish Market
Imperial Palace
Imperial East Gardens
Lunch at Ginza
Shopping at Ginza
Akihabara

Day 5 - 09/29 - Tokyo - Shinjuku

Ghible Museum (alternatively Gyoen National Garden)
Metropolitan Government Building
Dinner at Kagurazaka?
Kita-ku hanabi taikai (–k‹æ‰Ô‰Î‘å‰ï) (18:30 - 19:30
Golden Gai
Omoide Yokocho

Day 6 - 09/30 - Tokyo - Nikko day trip

Alternatively DisneySea

Day 7 - 10/01 - Kanazawa

Day 8 - 10/02 - Kanazawa

Day 9 - 10/03 - Kyoto - Central

Travel to Kyoto
Nijo Castle
Kyoto Imperial Palace
Nishiki Market
Gion

Day 10 - 10/04 - Kyoto - Western (Arashiyama)

Bamboo Groves
Togetsukyo Bridge
Tenryuji Temple
Monkey Park

Day 11 - 10/05 - Kyoto - Nara day trip

Todai-ji Temple
Nara Park
Tofuku-ji

Day 12 - 10/06 - Kyoto (Eastern)

Kiyomizudera & Higashiyama
Ginkakuji
Gion

Day 13 - 10/07 - Kyoto (Southern)

Kinkakuji (Golden Pavilion) Temple

Day 14 - 10/08 - Osaka

Kyoto ¨ Osaka

Day 15 - 10/09 - Miyajima

Osaka ¨ Hiroshima
Peace Park
Hiroshima ¨ Miyajima

Day 16 - 10/10 - Miyajima

Himeji castle?

Day 17 - 10/11 - Hakone

Miyajima ¨ Hakone
Ryokan with onsen

Day 18 - 10/12 - Tokyo - - Taito (Asakusa/Ueno)

Ueno park
Senso-ji Temple
Nakamise-dori & Shin-Nakamise Shopping Street

Day 19 - 10/13 - Tokyo - Departure
From Narita Airport

Re: Honeymoon itinerary for next October in Japan 2018/6/9 08:00
Why do you say "I've found out that this Airport Limousine Bus is the only option that I have"? There are other options,

The last monorail leaves Haneda at 00:06, and you can take the 23:51 monorail and still make it to Suidobashi station (nearest to Niwa Hotel), which is on JR Chuo Line. What transportation to take depends on where you are staying. For a very late arrival, I would try to find accommodation along JR Yamanote Line for ease of access and availability of late trains. I have gone through Haneda customs in as little as 5 minutes (2018), or as much as 45 minutes (2017).

The Airport Limo Bus is very reliable. If their published schedule says 02:20, then that's what it will be. But I think you will get through the customs much quicker.

by edokko101 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Honeymoon itinerary for next October in Japan 2018/6/9 11:09
As Edokko101 wrote, you will be able to catch 23:55 monorail and change trains twice to arrive JR Suidobashi station.

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=HANEDA%20AIRPOR...

Your itinerary fit Japan Rail Pass 14 days, from Day 6 to Day 19. You may consider Day 6 to stay at Nagano, which is only 80 min Shinkansen ride from Tokyo. If the weather is suggested to be fine on Day 7, you can travel Tateyama Kurobe Alpine route from Nagano to Toyama and then to Kanazawa. In that case, you should buy Tateyama Kurobe Option Ticket before Day 6. On the Alpine Route you will be able to see autumn foliage which is too early for other places you will visit.

http://jrtateyama.com/e/

On Day 16 you can go to Himeji castle and then somewhere on the route to Hakone. Maybe Kobe is nice.

When you sightsee on the route, that is if you must carry luggage when sightseeing, you will have two options: using coin locker close to the train station and luggage delivery service. In the Alpine route you can use special same day delivery.

https://www.alpen-route.com/information/forwarding.html

But in general you can use Takkyubin service which covers almost everywhere in Japan.

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2278.html

Re: Honeymoon itinerary for next October in Japan 2018/6/9 11:53
day 13 - kinkajuki
day 14 - kyoto to osaka

both these days only need about 45 minutes total. so you could easily combine the days and add the extra day somewhere else.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

Re: Honeymoon itinerary for next October in Japan 2018/6/9 18:09
I would stay in Hiroshima rather than on Miyajima as there is more choice & I love Hiroshima, make sure you visit okonomimura https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3406.html
@Hakata14 makes the correct point that Day 13 & 14 are half a day at the very very most. Also if I understand you right, Day 16 is an odd option. Going from Hiroshima to Himeji & back when you will be travelling past there later on is strange.

My itinerary suggestion would be to take one day from 13/14 & add it to Hiroshima, There are some fantastic day trips along the inland sea. Onomichi for instance https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3475.html or Iwakuni for the Kintai-kyo bridge https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6175.html and to stop at Himeji on the way through to Hakone. The Tourist information at Himeji station will look after your luggage.

Sorry, this isnt hugely formatted but something has come up & I have to go out :)
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Honeymoon itinerary for next October in Japan 2018/7/14 06:58
Hello everyone,

Again, more updated one, your comments have helped me a lot. I would appreciate any suggestions or recommendations. Thank you all in advance.

Day 2 - 09/26 - Tokyo - Arrival at Haneda Airport
- Late arrival at Haneda airport, stay at the airport hotel

Day 3 - 09/27 - Tokyo - Shibuya (incl Harajuku)
- Exchange JR Pass, get Suica card & sim cards, Forward luggage at the airport
- Head to Shibuya
- Meiji Jingu shrine & Yoyogi park
- Takeshita Dori
- Omotesando
- Shibuya Crossing, Tokyo Tower, Hachiko Statue

Day 4 - 09/28 - Tokyo - Chiyoda
- Breakfast at the Tsukiji Fish Market
- Imperial Palace
- Imperial East Gardens
- Lunch at Ginza
- Shopping at Ginza
- Akihabara

Day 5 - 09/29 - Tokyo - Shinjuku
- Ghible Museum (alternatively Gyoen National Garden)
- Metropolitan Government Building
- Dinner at Kagurazaka?
- Kita-ku hanabi taikai (–k‹æ‰Ô‰Î‘å‰ï) (18:30 - 19:30
- Golden Gai
- Omoide Yokocho

Day 6 - 09/30 - Tokyo - Nikko day trip
- Forward luggage to Kyoto
- Alternatively DisneySea
- Buy Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Ticket for next day if weather permits

Day 7 - 10/01 - Kanazawa
- Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route if weather permits, otherwise use Shinknasen

Day 8 - 10/02 - Kanazawa
- Kenroku-en
- Ninjadera
- historical districts

Day 9 - 10/03 - Kyoto - Central
- Kanazawa ¨ Kyoto
- Nijo Castle
- Kyoto Imperial Palace
- Nishiki Market
- Gion

Day 10 - 10/04 - Kyoto - Western (Arashiyama)
- Bamboo Groves
- Togetsukyo Bridge
- Tenryuji Temple
- Monkey Park

Day 11 - 10/05 - Kyoto - Nara day trip
- Todai-ji Temple
- Nara Park
- Tofuku-ji

Day 12 - 10/06 - Kyoto (Eastern)
- Kiyomizudera & Higashiyama
- Ginkakuji
- Gion

Day 13 - 10/07 - Kyoto (Southern)
- Forward luggage to Hiroshima
- Kinkakuji (Golden Pavilion) Temple
** What else? **

Day 14 - 10/08 - Kyoto
- Daytrip Kyoto ¨ Osaka
** Any recommendations for Osaka? **

Day 15 - 10/09 - Hiroshima
- Kyoto ¨ Hiroshima
- Peace Park

Day 16 - 10/10 - Hiroshima
- Day trip to Miyajima
** Any recommendations? **
- Forward luggage to back to Tokyo

Day 17 - 10/11 - Hakone
- Hiroshima ¨ Himeji
- Himeji Castle
- Himeji ¨ Odawara
- Odawara ¨ Hakone-Yumoto
- Ryokan with onsen
** is this too much for this day? **

Day 18 - 10/12 - Tokyo - - Taito (Asakusa/Ueno)
- Hakone-Yumoto ¨ Tokyo
- Ueno park
- Senso-ji Temple
- Nakamise-dori & Shin-Nakamise Shopping Street

Day 19 - 10/13 - Tokyo - Departure
** Some more shopping? any recommendations **
- Late departure from Narita Airport

Re: Honeymoon itinerary for next October in Japan 2018/7/14 14:16
Day 10 to 14

Eastern Kyoto is the most important part of Kyoto where so many temples/shrines exist. I think you should separate it into two days. One day for the northern part and the other day for the southern part. Northern part includes Nanzenji, Eikando, Heian-shrine (and Shin-en garden), Murin-an, Honen-in, Nomura Art Museum, Shin-nyo-do and Ginkakuji. You can also add Shisendo and even Shugakuin-villa (this is free but requires advance reservation). In the southern part there are Shôren-in, Chion-in, Yasaka shrine, Kodaiji, Yasaka pagoda, Nineizaka street, Kiyomizudera, Kawai Kanjiro museum, Kyoto National museum, Sanjusangendo, Tofukuji and Fushimi-inari shrine. So you might better conbine Kinkakuji into Day 10 (western Kyoto) and do eastern Kyoto on Day 12 and 13. You might better end the day at Subway Keage station for both days so that you can avoid bus ride in the busy time of the day. Subway is much reliable and comfortable than bus. Donft hesitate to use taxi. If you plan carefully, the taxi rides are not so expensive and you donft need to struggle with the complex bus system in Kyoto.

If you travel to Hiroshima after Osaka, you may better stay Osaka on Day 14 instead of staying in Kyoto. With the Japan Rail Pass, you need to transfer at Shin-Osaka unless you take a few Hikaris starting at 8:00 and 8:23. Of course you donft need to take Shin-Osaka to Kyoto to Shin-Osaka travel, if you stay in Osaka.

Day 16

It will take 90 min to travel from Hisoshima to Himeji,

https://goo.gl/nfVXmG

and 4+ hours from Himeji to Hakone-Yumoto. Well it will be somewhat rushed but doable.

Re: Honeymoon itinerary for next October in Japan 2018/7/14 21:08
Unlike Frog, I wouldn't stay overnight in Osaka on day 14. I think Kyoto has nicer and more romantic hotels. Osaka has cheaper budgetary hotels than Kyoto and has some great luxury hotels, but I think for nice but not 5 star luxury, Kyoto has better prices and better options. I would probably just time for one of those early Hikaris. When we day tripped to Miyajima in '17 and 'Takamatsu in '18 that is what we did. Osaka is a friendly city with good shopping and a lot of people like the food, but it's not really all that interesting imho. I guess if you don't go to Disney Sea and like amusement parks there is USJ. My daughter loved USJ. I really enjoyed the Osaka History Museum. I've been to the aquarium 2x and I'm OK not going back. I've visited Osaka Castle and few other touristy things, and they're fun, but not sure something worth doing on your honeymoon. I don't know if you want to just eat or shop in Osaka you can technically take a train from Nara back to Osaka, eat dinner there and then take the train back to Kyoto. Heck, if there is nothing specific you want to do in Osaka outside of eating you can go down to Osaka for dinner one of your other Kyoto days. Kyoto does have a lot of shopping now as well.

I know this is against everything everyone else on the forum believes, but I hope to never go back to the Ghibli Museum unless there is some huge change. I really like a lot of Miyazaki movies. I think the exhibit on How Movies are Made and Movement is Animated are interesting, but they're the same as when I went in 2002. I was not feeling Boro at all, scatological humor is just not my thing. My 7.5 year old wasn't feeling it either. The exhibit on food in Miyazaki movies was only interesting when you walked through pretend kitchens, the rest of the exhibit just was just sort of there. And speaking of food... the line for the Cafe was a good 45 minutes at least. We didn't wait in it. The line for the "quick" service kiosk was even pretty long. The whole museum just felt crowded. I'd pick Shinjuku Gyoen over it.

I really enjoyed Kenrokuen and Ninjadera. When I was there (late June 2018), advanced reservations were required for Ninjadera though we made ours morning of at the tourist information office in Kanazawa Station in the shopping center attached to the station.

Good luck!
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Honeymoon itinerary for next October in Japan 2018/7/15 08:37
Hi rkold,

I think Kyoto has nicer and more romantic hotels.

Yes, I agree. There seems to be so many new hotels/guesthouses which received good user reviews. Honestly I was surprised that there are so many which I have not heard of. For example this one has still vacant rooms for 3/10 to 9/10.

https://goo.gl/d9JrcP

If you choose Osaka, I recommend Rhiga Royal Hotel Osaka which has free shuttle bus from/to JR Osaka station. This hotel had been the most luxurious hotel in Osaka, but today there are many international brand hotels so this hotel is not the best at present, but still it is a good hotel with rather affordable room rates.

https://goo.gl/nud8ya

Re: Honeymoon itinerary for next October in Japan 2018/7/15 09:07
Hiya Frog,

Yes, there are insane numbers of new hotels in Kyoto. We went in 2016, 2017, and about 2-3 weeks ago and it felt like the number of places open in 2010 vs. 2016 was vastly higher and every subsequent year there are new hotels opening. I think if you have the budget, my favorite is currently the Hana Touro Gion. We've also tried the Royal Hotel Sanjo and the Hotel Intergate. I found the beds at the Intergate were too hard for me, but the location is nice and its very modern. I sort of regret not trying the Hotel Anteroom or Yukata. I should mention now, the Yukata was much much cheaper during my June dates and was only around 57,000 yen for 4 nights.

I've stayed in a bunch of business class hotels in Osaka over the years, none of them I would recommend for honeymooners. I stayed in the Keihan Tower near USJ 2x. It's super convenient to USJ and my first trip it was fine, but the most recent trip it was awful. If we had checked in before 22:00 I would have tried to switch rooms. :(

To be honest, it feels like Japan in general is having a huge hotel boom. Of the 8 different accommodations I stayed in 2 weeks ago, 3 of them were opened in the last 6 months!

Good luck! :D

Re: Honeymoon itinerary for next October in Japan 2018/7/15 19:36
Thank you all for the comments and advice. I've changed the plan for the Eastern part of Kyoto.

I was looking for rooms in the Hana Touro Hotel Gion, unfortunately, all the rooms are booked for the dates I'm looking for. I would appreciate any recommendations for hotels in Tokyo/Kyoto the price range of $120-$140 per night.

Re: Honeymoon itinerary for next October in Japan 2018/7/15 19:58
I would appreciate any recommendations for hotels in Tokyo/Kyoto the price range of $120-$140 per night.

Stay Inn Shijo Omiya (Kyoto)

https://www.booking.com/hotel/jp/stay-inn-kyoto-shijo-omiya.en-gb.html...

Richmond Hotel Tokyo Suidobashi (Tokyo) where I have stayed recently.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/jp/richmond-tokyo-suidobashi.en-gb.html?...

Re: Honeymoon itinerary for next October in Japan 2018/7/15 20:23
Or if you can splurge a bit more, Rhiga Royal Hotel Tokyo is very nice for the honeymooner. Note that this is Tokyo which is the most expensive place in Japan.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/jp/rihga-royal-tokyo.en-gb.html?aid=3584...

Re: Honeymoon itinerary for next October in Japan 2018/7/15 20:30
Hi OP!

We just paid about 15,500 yen per night for a standard double for the Mitsui Garden Otemachi in Tokyo. I don't know if it is available your dates but I would definitely recommend it. The room was much larger than I expected, was super convenient to a lot of different transport options (we walked many times from Tokyo Station and we were there when it was 90+, other times we used Kanda Station. There are subway stations nearby too, we just never used them.) I would definitely stay there again. Mitsui is also opening a new hotel in Nihonbashi (unsure where and when but soon) and in Gotanda. I suspect the Gotanda one will be cheaper because it's Gotanda and not Nihombashi or Otemachi. The Tokyo Station area has gotten a lot of restaurants in the last few years and it's not as dead at night as it use to be. This trip we kept seeing food trucks parked all over the area. I used Booking, but you might want to check the website for Mitsui if you're interested. Especially when a hotel is new, they sometimes have special rates.

Most of the places I looked at appear to be booked your dates in Kyoto. I had a lot better luck because June is the "off" season. I thought about the new Royal Hotel because I do like that chain and the Intergate was mostly pleasant. The room itself was attractive and modern and I liked the hotel's location. I suffer from sciatica though and so the harder Japanese bed didn't work for me. I suspect other users would not have that issue. My only other issue, which is again on me, is I prefer real windows, even if the view is a dumpster over frosted glass windows. I like being able to look outside. We stayed there 4 nights, for the Hana Touro, maybe keep watching to see if it opens up, you never know? It is more expensive. I think we paid $180. It's why we switched to the Intergate this past trip, though I do regret it.

We stayed in the brand new Vista in Kanazawa. It was a decent business hotel and quite cheap. We had a small double room for 9500 yen. There are nicer hotels, the Uan looked lovely, but in the end I am glad we picked the Vista, as we arrived late at night and the Vista is a short easy walk from the Station vs. taking a bus or cab. All the sightseeing buses run from Kanazawa Station so it was an easy enough walk back there to get a bus. I looked at the Nikko and it seemed nice, but it was nearly 2x the price and I was not sure it was worth it. The Vista was not romantic though, just convenient. You might do better with the Uan or the Nikko if in your budget. I really liked Kanazawa and would go back.

I last stayed in Hiroshima overnight in 2002. I hope there are better hotel options now cause they were not impressive then. If you can get a good rate, the Granvias are always nice because they are attached to the train station as they are part of the JR group. I've never stayed overnight at Miyajima.

I have lots of places I would recommend against in Hakone, but nothing I would really recommend for. Personally, if I was looking for an overnight in a ryokan and some onsen experience I would look somewhere in Nagano-ken before heading to Kanazawa/Kurobe and just scrap Hakone, but that's just my own preference. Everyone on JG has different interests and I think that is what helps make it work. :)

Good luck! Your honeymoon sounds amazing.

Re: Honeymoon itinerary for next October in Japan 2018/7/15 20:43
Mitsui Garden Hotel Otemachi is within the OP's price range.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/jp/mitsui-garden-otemachi.en-gb.html?aid...

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 23

1 2
next

reply to this thread