Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Foreigner sponsoring family for PR? 2018/5/31 15:37
Ok, so I have not obtained PR myself yet but I was curious about this anyway.

My parents have a great interest in possibly retiring in Japan and a visit here that they thoroughly enjoyed.

They both don't have any money problems as they collect social security in the US. How would that work if they ever moved to Japan?

Would a non-Japanese permanent residence holder like me (should I obtain it) even be eligible to sponsor other non-Japanese family members to live here in Japan?
by blondesurferboy  

Re: Foreigner sponsoring family for PR? 2018/6/1 12:25
I think we can all admit that Japan already has his fair share of old people and bringing more, especially foreign old people is not going to help. How will they do with hospital, medicine, do they even speak Japanese...? I higly doubt they will let you bring them...

Japanese Gov. is promoting and and trying to send their own people to Thailand or Malaysia, they are not going to send their own kind abroad and bring foreign to their place.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Foreigner sponsoring family for PR? 2018/6/1 12:38
They both don't have any money problems as they collect social security in the US.

You probably confusing Japan with Thailand, Japan never promoted itself as a place for westerners retirement. There is no retirement visa like the one they have in Thailand for example.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Foreigner sponsoring family for PR? 2018/6/1 12:45
As mentioned in the previous response, Japan is currently going through a realignment in population demographics which is putting a huge strain on an ever shrinking workforce.

Japan has recently (I think) changed laws significantly reducing the Japanese requirements for semi-skilled labor due to this problem. As such, it is difficult to get a visa for retirees.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/052815/guide-re...

I cannot speak for Japan as my knowledge on this topic is limited compared to Japanese nationals, but I am aware that my home country (Australia) has made it extremely difficult for family reunion visas to be given due to the resources needed by retired people.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Foreigner sponsoring family for PR? 2018/6/1 14:44
As far as I know, there is no visa category available for parents of PR holders to move and to live in Japan. There have been some instances of permit issued under "specified activities," provided some conditions are met, such as age of the parents, unavailability of any other child to take care of the parents in their home country, their inability to support themselves, etc.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Foreigner sponsoring family for PR? 2018/6/1 18:11
@AK Yes, I had a feeling this was the case.

As far as the situation with the aging population...I already know all about the situation.

My parents didn't mistake Japan for Thailand. They were mainly wanting to live in Japan because I am living here but I will just tell them this is possible with Thailand not here in Japan.
by blondesurferboy rate this post as useful

Re: Foreigner sponsoring family for PR? 2018/6/2 11:02
I already know all about the situation.
And yet you were willing to add a new burden to a cloged economy, only to be stopped by the visa system.

They were mainly wanting to live in Japan because I am living here
Well, heading to Japan to live there at an advanced age is not like leaving California to head to Florida. I just can't imagine 2 aged foreigners who do not speak Japanese, trying to survive in their daily life here. Making local friends ? Don't even thing about it...

by No name (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Foreigner sponsoring family for PR? 2018/6/2 12:11
The simple answer is you can't do that because it's the law; the spurious societal arguments are really not necessary.
by Firas rate this post as useful

reply to this thread