Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Naturalization after interview 2018/6/1 20:23
I would like to know how much time is taking after the naturalization application for the interview and then naturalization result . Is any one having the experience of taken naturalization in the 2018 will help me to wait accordingly.
I have applied in Tokyo Homukyoku
by JTomin (guest)  

Re: Naturalization after interview 2018/6/22 15:28
Since my application is under the process, I could tell you what I have been told by the officer after the official submission of my application.
Recently the investigation takes longer than the usual. There are cases where the applicants can wait up at to THREE YEARS. Also, the officer clearly told me that I should not call then asking for an update about the result of the investigation even it takes over a year two. She clearly said that, as an officer herself, she does not have an answer. The application is investigated somewhere else.
I have been waiting over 10 months now and still have not got an answer.
By checked comments of other people online, some people said that they got the result after one year.
So, normally the investigation length for regular cases is 12 months.
The only we can do now is waiting!
by justagaijin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Naturalization after interview 2018/6/22 22:03
Hi JTomin
I got naturalized this year in feb 2018. I applied in April 2017. I was also waiting like you for the result.
The case offcer told correct that she cannot say anything because the final decision is taken by Homu Daijin.
Please dont call them for an update because the local office wait for the decision of homu daijin.
Some people may take 2 to 3 years who have problem in their history and documentation or crime background as per my knowledge. If your documentation (tax, health insurance,pension, good character etc) is clear, homukyoku gives the decision within a year. My documentation was clear, I did not face any problem. Your result will come within a year if your total history is clear. Please just wait. Please ask me anything here, I will reply as per my knowlegde.
by naturalized (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Naturalization after interview 2018/6/22 23:56
Thank you so much JTomin.
In Feb 2018, did they call you and tell you that your application was accepted? I am not sure what will happen next! any information will be highly appreciated.
Now, I am just waiting for whatever call from them.
by justagaijin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Naturalization after interview 2018/6/23 13:43
justagaijin,
Yes in Feb2018, my local homukyoku called me and informed that my application is successful. They will call you once the decision comes. Now I hope you can get result within 1 month. If there are some problem in the applicant`s background, they take long time.

Re: Naturalization after interview 2018/6/25 08:56
I just got a call today from the ministry of justice office.
They just asked me if there is any change like traveling and changing work....
I told them there is no change.
Is this a good news?
By th way, my working office will move soon but I am staying working at the same company. Should I tell them this information?
So, I am not changing job but changing only the workplace. Should I tell them about this change?
by Justagaijin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Naturalization after interview 2018/6/25 20:16
They just asked me if there is any change like traveling and changing work....
I told them there is no change.
Is this a good news?
Yes, that is good news. I also got same call before result. You will get the positive result within a months per my experience. They ask if there is change in job or you lose job etc before giving the result.
If your office is only shifting, no need to inform as per my knowledge. But if there is change incompany, you must inform. I had lost my job after applying. I submitted all new document of new company.

Re: Naturalization after interview 2018/6/25 23:02
Thank you for replying back. I really appreciate your help.

Re: Naturalization after interview 2018/6/26 07:23
Congratulations justagaijin
I have been waiting almost for 10 months. Would you let me know when and where did (Tokyo Homukyoku?) you apply and when did you receive your interview .
Wishing you for happy news soon .

by JjTomin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Naturalization after interview 2018/6/26 14:50
I started the preparation of naturalization over two years ago. However, the official application submission date goes back to last yearfs August.
So, I have been waiting for 10 months before getting this verification call. Itfs hard to know why they called me.
The call just made me feel that my application is not being denied. I am glad to know that.
So, now I am still waiting for the real approval call (good news). I hope I get it soon.
Since I have PR, I am ok with waiting even longer. But, you know, anyone would like to end this journey of before naturalization to after naturalization to begin focusing on other important things in life. I wish you get a reply soon.

Re: Naturalization after interview 2018/7/2 21:44
Dear Justagaijin
The official submission that you mean here is period after interview right ?
Compared to previous years, naturalization period seems very long this year as per following blog
https://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q13191771633

I wonder why sudden slow in the results ?
by JJTomin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Naturalization after interview 2018/7/3 06:25
There is probably an increase in the number of applicants. This may have resulted in the extension of the length of the investigation.
In my case, I was told by my case worker I should wait from 1 up to 3 years. I saw my name in the Official Gazette after 11 months of waiting. This makes me officially a Japanese citizen now. I still have not got the call yet the fact that shows that they are extremely busy.
I know how one may feel of waiting for several months. After waiting over 10 months, it means basically that your chances for the approval of the application are very high.
I may not visit this forum as I used to do, but if you have any questions, feel free to write to me.

by justagaijin rate this post as useful

Naturalization Waiting Period 2018/8/29 09:32
I have submitted the naturalization application on Aug and the interview was on Dec of 2018. Any one who has received the naturalization recently, kindly let me know the waiting period.
by JJTomin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Naturalization after interview 2018/8/29 11:58
Hello all,

I would like to know why someone would like perform naturalization?
What are the benefits?

A little bit about myself, I am married with a Japanese and have a daughter 12 years old.
Living in Japan more than 10 years, speak fluent Japanese and work in the Pharma world.
So work I personally do not see any benefits to change nationality.

I have a Dutch passport and when I leave Japan to travel or for work I can use always the automatic custom system on the airport.

Return is using the line for reentry.

I pay may taxes and can utilize pension, hello work etc.

For me having my original identity and passport is more important since it gives me the option to free travel in Europe and can stay as long as I want.

If I change to Japanese passport it means max 30 days stay as tourist.

Sorry for this strange question but I just would like to know others opinions about this.

Thank you

by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Naturalization after interview 2018/8/29 16:52
Well, for you your Dutch identity is important. For some other people who have lived here a long time, have families, careers, and no serious expectations of returning to their home country permanently, adopting a Japanese identity is important.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Naturalization after interview 2018/8/29 17:21
uhm, I clearly mentioned that I am married, have a daughter and live more than 10 years in Japan.
I have no plans to go back since I have family and my friends are here in Japan.
I can stay till I die in Japan with my current status.

But still I do not know why or what benefits there are to change to Japanese nationality.

As foreigner a Japanese nationality does not guarantee your stay in Japan. Still your status can be revoked if you do something worse or something happens.

The only thing I know is you are allowed working in public sectors (police, city hall etc.) and you may vote.

But I want to understand what else is there to give up your own nationality.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Naturalization after interview 2018/8/29 19:01
@ustmyday ... Not that it would affect me, since I am squeaky clean and will of course never do anything that would cause the authorities to revoke my acquired nationality – but if you have given up your original nationality, they cannot revoke your acquired one, since it would make you stateless.

I wanted to vote. I wanted to share my nationality with my kids and grandchildren. I wanted to finish the journey and not have the (minor that it might be) hassle of always carrying an ID/registration card. This is my home so it is natural for me to share the nationality of my countrymen.
by Paul (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Naturalization after interview 2018/8/29 23:13
uhm, I clearly mentioned that I am married, have a daughter and live more than 10 years in Japan.
I have no plans to go back since I have family and my friends are here in Japan.
I can stay till I die in Japan with my current status.

Yes, I know. And I clearly mentioned that some people (ie, people other than yourself), adopting a new Japanese identity feels equally imperative as retaining your Dutch identity feels to you. Ifve met people who fit this bill exactly. As for myself, I believe I will never even attempt to become a citizen. But if I ever did feel that I wanted to become Japanese, Ifm of the opinion that the reasons in favour of doing so would probably be enough to outweigh the hassle of having to stand in the longer line at European airports.
by LIZ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Naturalization after interview 2018/8/30 09:54
@justmyday
Please this contest is not correct ....

As foreigner a Japanese nationality does not guarantee your stay in Japan. Still your status can be revoked if you do something worse or something happens.

by chike20 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread