Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Obtaining a Japanese taxi license 2018/6/3 08:18
Is there an English test to obtain a taxi license?
by Peter J (guest)  

Re: Obtaining a Japanese taxi license 2018/6/3 13:00
No.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Obtaining a Japanese taxi license 2018/6/3 13:03
And you can't work as a taxi driver even after getting the license.
You have to be an employee of a registered taxi company first. After 10 years of career there, you can become a "freelance" taxi driver.

Re: Obtaining a Japanese taxi license 2018/6/3 14:35
I really don't understand why would the Japanese government offer tests in English given the fact that most of foreigners in Japan are not even from English speaking countries. Yes, most of foreigners in Japan are asians NOT westerners, NOT English speakers.

Also, if you can't understand Japanese how would you work? You just drive your taxi and you only stop it when you see a westerner hailing your taxi? Ignoring the natives..? Uber driver for westerners...So much for the integration in the country. And taxi license tests in your country are available in Arabic, Cantonese and Urdu, right ?
by Uber Lyft (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Obtaining a Japanese taxi license 2018/6/3 14:51
Haha, right.
FYI, ignoring a passenger who wants to use taxi is ILLEGAL here.

Re: Obtaining a Japanese taxi license 2018/6/4 18:44
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Obtaining a Japanese taxi license 2018/6/4 20:01
@justmyday

OP asked about taxi license exam in English not about being a taxi driver. And if he is asking about english tests it is probably because he wants to have his own taxi, not to work for a taxi company. A Uber driver for westerners because he probably found out that Uber drivers in Japan must have a taxi license. Taxi license tests in English means he is not able to understand Japanese and working for a Japanese company would require him to also take Japanese clients (the horror!)

My guess is the guy wants to cherry-pick.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Obtaining a Japanese taxi license 2018/6/4 20:50
Well a lot of speculation ongoing here as the OP never came back.

I innocently understood the initial question IF in the Japanese Taxi license test there is an English section for drivers to proof their English language capability. Thus more a question if as a tourist one can expect that taxi drivers speak some English. Apparently I am the only one interpreting his/her question that way. And anyway the answer is NO. No English test needed to become a taxi driver in Japan.
by LikeBike (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Obtaining a Japanese taxi license 2018/6/4 21:41
Well, I don't really know too but few weeks ago on Japan-Guide there was an Australian guy who asked if he could work as a customs officer in Japan while his own country requires Australian citizenship for such jobs.

The guy expected he could get such job in Japan just like working in a fast food joint while his own country is choosy on such matter.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Obtaining a Japanese taxi license 2018/6/5 08:55
first know the law.
Uber drivers in Japan must have a taxi license.

Uber is not allowed in Japan, only for food delivery.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

reply to this thread