Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nagano and Matsumoto on the same day? 2018/6/4 18:42
Greetings

I'm planning my second trip to this beautiful country and one of my itineraries (a Chubu-centered one) involves staying 7-8 days in the Toyama area, with Toyama city itself as a base. After that I'll be spending 4-5 extra days in Tokyo to visit a few places that I couldn't go to in my first trip.

There are lots of interesting things there to see and Nagano and Matsumoto are some of those things, but since I don't have that many days to spend (I already want to visit Takayama, Shirakawago and maybe Kanazawa) and Nagano doesn't seem to have anything special aside from the Zenkoji area I was wondering if I could go to Matsumoto (mainly because of the castle, but also the little charming shopping streets) in the same day without having to rush things too much.

The alternative would be going to Matsumoto early in the morning to check the castle and stuff and then heading to another nearby place (lake Suwa, for instance) to spend the rest of the day. That sounds like a more reasonable plan, but at the same time it sounds like automatically putting Nagano out of the list, because I doubt I could spend a whole day there alone without getting bored.

I would also appreciate some opinions on both of these places, since I've already been in places like Nara, Kawagoe, Kyoto and Miyajima and I fear that some of them might feel "too similar". When it comes to historical/spiritual places I like them to leave an imprint on me, to feel as unique as possible.
by Second-timer (guest)  

Re: Nagano and Matsumoto on the same day? 2018/6/5 12:19
Hi. The Matsumoto shopping street isnt very long so I dont think it will take a lot of time. I'd think maybe 4 hours total would be heaps for Matsumoto, if you are only wanting to see the castle and shops.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nagano and Matsumoto on the same day? 2018/6/5 16:08
I could enjoy a full day or two in either.

I don't understand how someone can get bored in mere hours in medium sized cities with history like these. Plenty to do - especially if you aren't in a tour-guide checklist mentality.

by TW (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nagano and Matsumoto on the same day? 2018/6/5 17:28
there is plenty to do in Matsumoto (see other threads), but in any case:
instead of Nagano (which is not soooo interesting) i would recommend other sights in the near Matsumoto area (e.g. Daiyo Wasabi Farm, Kiso Valley and such), since in my opinion they are more enjoyable.
If you have a car, you can also check out Bessho Onsen, which is easy to reach by car from Matsumoto or check out the wonderful Onsen in that area.
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Nagano and Matsumoto on the same day? 2018/6/5 20:55
And I'm going to be the person posting about how Nagano is underrated. Outside of Zenkoji, which I really enjoyed. I also took the bus down to Matsushiro to see the Sanada Museum and the remains of the Sanada Castle. I then walked up to Kawanakajima Park, which was really lovely in the Fall and had several apple orchards right across the street, before walking back to the Station. I also really like visiting the remains of Ueda Castle. It seems like people tend to skip it and go straight to Bessho.

I personally didn't particularly enjoy Takayama or Shirakawa Go, but I know I'm in the minority with this.
by rkold rate this post as useful

Re: Nagano and Matsumoto on the same day? 2018/6/5 21:49
I would like to advise visit to Bessho -Onsen and neighboring temples such as Zenzanji temple. It has long history
(about 500 years) Not so many visitors !
by Ninjya X (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nagano and Matsumoto on the same day? 2018/6/6 06:08
"I don't understand how someone can get bored in mere hours in medium sized cities with history like these. Plenty to do - especially if you aren't in a tour-guide checklist mentality"

I'll be spending full days in other cities, so I think it's just natural for me to look for something different.

Nagano has had my attention since I discovered the Zenkoji area, but that alone might not justify the trip and the other cool places in Nagano seem to be quite far away. I am not too fond on the idea of having to take several buses and trains to get to every interesting point that a place has to offer.

I think I'll keep searching for a possible combo with Nagano and place Matsumoto in a separate day along with lake Suwa. It might be the best option, specially since there are not too many hours of daylight in November and I would like to see both Zenkoji and Matsumoto Castle in the morning.

Thanks for your advice, everyone.
by Second-timer (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nagano and Matsumoto on the same day? 2018/6/6 06:39
aslong as you dont start swimming in lake Suwa, all will be fine... :-)
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Nagano and Matsumoto on the same day? 2018/6/6 08:51
The temple at Nagano is nice but the town itself does not have that much to see and do. The same cannot be said for around Nagano City. There is plenty to do such as:

(1) Snow Monkeys - Yamanouchi (best visited in winter)
(2) Togakushi Shrines + Ninpo Museum (best during green season)
(3) Obuse - great outside of winter

Note that Furukawa is a pretty town just below Takayama. Kurobe Gorge is nice but can also get frightfully cold in winter. Have you thought of completing the Kurobe Alpine Route at all if your going in the warmer months?

I've visited Matsumoto twice as side trips from Nagano and have not found much to do in the city itself but have absolutely loved the castle there. It's a good leisurely half day which is great if you want to travel from Toyama to Tokyo with your luggage. Your more likely to be able to store your stuff at the station there than Nagano which is a huge hub station.

My bet would be Matsumoto and just take it easy for the day
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Nagano and Matsumoto on the same day? 2018/6/6 17:17
I did not consider visiting Nagano or Matsumoto in the same day I move to Tokyo, but it certainly sounds like an option!

by Second-timer (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread