Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Translation of "yakko-san" in English? 2018/6/5 13:46
There's this human-like traditional origami figure called yakko-san. What is its translation in English?
by Gerardo (guest)  

Re: Translation of "yakko-san" in English? 2018/6/5 19:13
"Yakko-san" (with the polite "-san" suffix) is the friendly name to the origami that is made to look like the shape of "yakko," a colloquial term for a servant to a Samurai family.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Translation of "yakko-san" in English? 2018/6/6 01:00
Thanks AK. I wish to learn more about these samurai family servants. Can you (or any one else that reads this) please help me find a webpage that explains a bit more about them, specially what did they do as servants?

I browsed a bit; this is the most detailed information I found, which isn't much: "A yakko was a servant who carried a lance and preceded samurai processions to clear the way. Sometimes, pretending to their masters' authority, they acted as bullies". This is from "The Making of Japanese Kites: Tradition, Beauty and Creation" by Masaki Modegi.

Does that mean yakkos were something like a knight's squire during European Middle Ages?
by Gerardo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Translation of "yakko-san" in English? 2018/6/6 03:02
Yakkosan can also be the pronoun for a third person (e.g., he/she/it/who).
by 83 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Translation of "yakko-san" in English? 2018/6/11 16:46
https://search.yahoo.co.jp/image/search;_ylt=A2RCCzKpJh5bkU0AmSCU3uV7?p=%E3%82%84%E3%81%A3%E3%81%93%E3%81%95%E3%82%93%E3%80%80%E3%81%8B%E3%81%B6%E3%81%8D&aq=-1&oq=&ei=UTF-8#mode%3Ddetail%26index%3D1%26st%3D0

https://search.yahoo.co.jp/video/search;_ylt=A2RCKw4JKB5brGYASQOHrPN7?p=%E5%A5%B4%E3%81%95%E3%82%93+%E6%AD%8C%E8%88%9E%E4%BC%8E&aq=-1&oq=&ei=UTF-8
by biwakoman rate this post as useful

Re: Translation of "yakko-san" in English? 2018/6/18 19:07
I went through Japanese dictionaries and found the following three meanings:
1) Origami craft shaped as a man
2) A song which became popular in the late Edo period
3) A pronoun for a third male person (old fashioned)

According to a Japanese friend of mine, the 3) is the most commonly used meaning (so it means he or him). In terms of etimology, the word derived from a servant.
by Giorgione rate this post as useful

reply to this thread