Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo for the 1st time 2018/6/5 17:49
Hello everybody,
I am planning a trip to Tokyo the 1st week on September...it is my first time ever to Japan, so I would please need some info from who is familiar with the city and everything.
I would like to know:
-cheap hotels for accommodation?
-do Japanese people speak English? I don't speak a work of japanese
-costs of the transports for one week, and which is the best option to move around Tokyo?
-cheap places where to eat?
-any italian speaking guide would be really appreciated.

Thank you!
by CezaLC (guest)  

Re: Tokyo for the 1st time 2018/6/5 19:02
1. There are thousands of hotels in Tokyo; it's a big city! Have you done any research yourself? Have you chosen an area of the city to stay in? Look into business hotel chains such as Tokyu Stay and Super Hotel.

2. You don't need Japanese to travel in Japan, especially in a big city like Tokyo. There is plenty of English signage, particularly in the stations and at major tourist sites. Most people employed in the tourism industry will speak enough English to help you out.

3. Please look at the transport section of this website. It's easy to find this information yourself.

4. Look at the food section of this website. Again, you could easily research this yourself using Google.

5. Search for "Italian-speaking guides in Tokyo" on Google.

For you to truly enjoy your trip, you should do your own research and planning. It will make your trip much more worthwhile and means that you get the trip you want, not the trip someone else has planned for you.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo for the 1st time 2018/6/6 06:33
"-cheap hotels for accommodation?"

Search around Minami-Senju Station. I stayed there (I don't know if I can mention the name of the hotel) and I doubt there is anything cheaper and the quality was good enough.

"-do Japanese people speak English? I don't speak a work of japanese"

Mostly in airports and big train stations. Aside from that, I found English to be quite useless there.

"-costs of the transports for one week, and which is the best option to move around Tokyo?"

If you plan to move a lot, a 1 Week JR Pass might be the solution to all your transportation needs.

"-cheap places where to eat?"

Everywhere. From the things you can buy at konbinis to ramen places there's lot of options to have a good meal for much more less than you think. This was one of my biggest surprises with Japan.

"-any italian speaking guide would be really appreciated"

Can't help you here :(
by Second-timer (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo for the 1st time 2018/6/6 09:07
Therefs this really good site called japan-guide.com

I would highly recommend checking it out. Surprisingly it has some great pages on Tokyo.

Greater Tokyo has about half as many inhabitants as the whole of Italy, so it may help you to get better answers if youfre able to do some research first and then ask questions later.

Happy holiday planning...
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo for the 1st time 2018/6/6 10:09
There are many cheap places, enough to accommodate any budget. The Taito-ku area has a lot of them. Naturally a lot depends on what you want and are satisfied with. I spent a night at the Juyoh Hotel for 3000 yen - quite satisfied with it. Also several nights at the Smile Hotel Sugamo - very good, great staff and excellent amenities for US$49 a night. And this is nightmare expensive Tokyo - can you get that in London or New York City?

Many business hotels as well - Toyoko Inn, Superhotel, Route Inn, Dormy Inn, and countless more. Many throw in breakfast for free.

For what to see, as said, check this site's guide, or the JNTO page, or the Tokyo government official tourist guide - tons of info and places listed.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo for the 1st time 2018/6/6 19:47
Second-timer, if OP wants to stay in Tokyo only, buying a 7-day JR Pass will waste them a lot of money. Nationwide JR Passes are intended for long-distance travel, not travel within cities. Please check the information you are providing.
by / (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread