Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Change student visa to tourist visa 2018/6/16 16:56
Hi everyone,
I am from Spain and I am in Japan doing an exchange program with a student visa. My program finishes at the end of July and I wanted to switch to a Tourist Visa to be able to use the JP Rail Pass in August. I went to the immigration office to ask to see if it will be possible to do it at the end of July and they told me that it is not and that I should leave the country immediately after finishing the studies.
I have a trip planned to Taiwan at mid July so I was thinking of stating that I will not come back (say that I will not reentry) and come back to Japan and get the Tourist Visa but I am not sure if this method is legal and I am kind of scared because my classes donft finish until the end of July.
What should I do? Is there a minimum time that you have to be out of the country if you cancel your student visa and leave?
Thank you very much for your time and help,
Guillem Romero
by Guille (guest)  

Re: Change student visa to tourist visa 2018/6/17 13:25
What you have been said is wrong; apparently front office people at immigration are quite incompetent. No, you don't have to leave Japan immediately (you can stay until your status expires or is revoked), and yes you can apply for a change of status from Student to Temporary Visitor, though of course there is no guarantee the change will be granted.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Change student visa to tourist visa 2018/6/17 13:31
So the best option is wait for my studies to finish and later go to the office and try again? What about cancel the visa when I go to Taiwan at mid july? Is there a minimum period of time that you have to be out of the country when you cancel a student visa to reenter with a tourist one?
Thank you very much!
by Guillem (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Change student visa to tourist visa 2018/6/22 21:29
According to exchange coordinators in university I'm currently studying, this is possible! Our classes end in July but student visa expires around mid-September, we were told just to go change the visa status if we want to stay after that.
by Another exchange student (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread