Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best time to visit Hokkaido (and Tohoku) 2018/6/17 15:31
Hi,
I was thinking which would be the best time to visit Hokkaido and north Tohoku area outside of winter months.

I know Hokkaido is colder than Tokyo etc. so maybe there is not too much to see there during spring.

When I went to Japan in late March I guess it would have been no idea to go to Hokkaido so I skipped it.

But I might return to Japan next year so I consider visiting Hokkaido this time.
by Moshpit (guest)  

Re: Best time to visit Hokkaido (and Tohoku) 2018/6/18 14:59
If you're not planning on hiking up the high peaks or to look at the June/July flowers, May is a good time. The crowds have not yet begun, but it's warm enough to not need winter clothes. Some hotels give discounts through the end of May, also. The sakura in northern Tohoku and Hokkaido are also in bloom at this time. If you go into the high areas, there is still snow on the ground. In fact, in most of May you can see snow on the mountains surrounding Sapporo, but the fountains are already running in the city.

The corresponding time in the fall, October, is again filled with tourists looking at the changing colors.

If you want to see the flowers at Biei or the fall colors, make your plans and reservations early, as you'll be competing with everyone else.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Best time to visit Hokkaido (and Tohoku) 2018/6/18 16:45

I have visited Hokkaido in all seasons if you dislike winter, June, July would be nice.
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread