Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Unmarried couple w child moving to Japan 2018/6/21 17:57
My friends have been in a relationship for many years, but are unmarried. They have a child together. They'd like to move their family to Japan and teach. They both have degrees and have previously taught, but are worried about getting hired in Japan.

The majority of companies wouldn't offer positions to both because there's no two positions in close enough proximity to each other. Even if they offered a position to just one, they wouldn't offer company housing because it's for single occupants only and they wouldn't be a guarantor for an apartment.

Even if one is hired and they get their own apartment, there is the issue of visas for the other who is not working as well as the child.

Do you have any advice?
by AFAF (guest)  

Re: Unmarried couple w child moving to Japan 2018/6/22 11:03
Unfortunately this isn't a situation they will win easily. They are probably best to save up a lot of money, then attempt to make the change with plenty of savings in hand.

Companies don't wanna deal with spouses and child as there are enough applicants that are singles that don't have those extra burden/s.

Personally though, and this info is easily found out there. Most entry level English teaching jobs pay poorly. So not sure how you'd make the money spread further allowing for children also. Hence my comment about saving up lots of spare cash.

And I'd attempt to find more suitable jobs that pay better than English teaching. And if they have already done their research and found that those teaching jobs are about the only thing they can do with their current skill set, well might be best to reassess their goals as to whether they are realistic or not.
by hakata14 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread