Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

6 hours in Nikko worth it? 2018/6/27 19:32
Hello!

We're curious to see if 6 hours in Nikko is enough time for a worthwhile visit. We're arriving in Nikko station at 11:27 and departing at 17:32, which roughly gives us around 6 hours to explore the area.

Though I understand most of the main shrines are centered in the area, could we squeeze in a trip to Okunikko?

Train times are more or less certain as we have other things to catch outside the trip.

Thanks all!
by Nik O (guest)  

Re: 6 hours in Nikko worth it? 2018/6/28 12:42
Definitely. Just focus on the "World heritage area", and don't try to visit the falls or lake. The main shrines can be enjoyed in an afternoon and are easily walked between. On your way back down, get off by the Shinkyo bridge for a 5 minute look and have a quick meal at one of the nearby restaurants before departing.

I would start with Toshugu, as that's the biggest and the one you'll probably want to spend the most time at.

by Me2 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 6 hours in Nikko worth it? 2018/6/28 12:47
I agree with "Me2." Focus on that area. But forget about Okunikko.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: 6 hours in Nikko worth it? 2018/6/28 15:07
I found that plenty of time to do the main temples.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: 6 hours in Nikko worth it? 2018/6/28 15:31
Nikko has plenty to do which is spread over a large area. As all other commenters have mentioned, stay around the main temple/shrine area and don't leave it. This temple/shrine area (Toshogu Shrine) is quite unique in Japan for it's gaudy architecture compared to what's seen in most Japanese temples and shrines. Note that this is a good thing. It's also a big highlight of Japan if your not visiting Kyoto.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: 6 hours in Nikko worth it? 2018/6/28 17:22
Heaps of time, including the lake and Kegon falls if you are organised.

As for the idea that the shrine decoration is "gaudy" or unique, hardly. It is a common style that features on many shrines around the country. The Iemitsu Mausoleum is the best example in Japan that I am aware of. The degree of detail and scope makes it worth visiting, even if that is the only place you go in Nikko. Also remember that what you see is actually mostly a renovation by the grandson - originally it was pretty simple.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: 6 hours in Nikko worth it? 2018/6/28 18:19
When in the year will you go to Nikko?
What are your purposes?

Traveling at a fast pace,
in addition to Nikko Toshogu Shrine and Rinnoji Temple
(which are close to each other),
you can visit one or two, I suppose, among the following places.
: Akechidaira Plateau
: Kegon Waterfall
: Lake Chuzenji
: Chuzenji Temple
: Ryuzu Waterfall

Please pay attention to construction notices.
Also, please note that your Akechidaira Plateau side trip is on the way for Chuzenji area only, not on the way back.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3800.html#section_get_there
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread