Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is it always this windy in Tokyo? 2018/6/29 10:11
Hey, I just moved here on Tuesday. The wind has been pretty crazy since I landed. I just had to bring my washing in because it kept getting blown off. I noticed that the locals seemed pretty unfazed by the weather on my first day so I figured a typhoon must be forecast. I checked every day and therefs nothing. My only conclusion is that this is normal except that I researched the weather here thoroughly prior to arrival and read nothing about insane winds except maybe around the bay sometimes. What gives? I nearly lost a hat yesterday, will it be safe to wear one again soon?
by Tom (guest)  

Re: Is it always this windy in Tokyo? 2018/6/29 13:52
I've flown into Tokyo I don't know how many times and today's landing was the windiest on record (for me). Tokyo can get windy on occasions, but I think it's more windy than normal....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Is it always this windy in Tokyo? 2018/6/29 14:05
High buildings, cost area etc.

Weather forecast is mention 5 m/s so I do not know what the term windy means for you, but hang around till typhoon comes, than things will fly.
by justmyday rate this post as useful

Re: Is it always this windy in Tokyo? 2018/6/29 14:10
No. But, I have heard that May and June are the most windy months in a year. Anyway, a tropical storm is coming to western Japan.
https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane?index_region=wp
by Luisjp rate this post as useful

Re: Is it always this windy in Tokyo? 2018/6/29 16:21
It's been especially windy the past few days - it's not usually like this. It's usually hot and muggy with no breeze at all, which is much less comfortable. Enjoy the fresh Tokyo breezes while you can!
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Is it always this windy in Tokyo? 2018/6/29 16:27
Try living in a windy city. (A modest Cat1 or Cat2 typhoon reminds me of the gentle winds of Wellington, NZ, except it's warm and not cold. 100kph is nothing to get worked up about.)
No, Tokyo is normally pretty light winds, but different times of the year have periods of strong breezes like we have at the moment. Current wind is not especially due to storms or anything.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Is it always this windy in Tokyo? 2018/6/29 17:12
I mean, I lived in Florida for a few years so Ifm used to weather probably as extreme as anything Ifll experience here. I just thought it seemed a bit much to be the norm. Ifm definitely glad to hear itfs not! Thanks
by Tom (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is it always this windy in Tokyo? 2018/6/29 17:46
It's definitely not normal. The past few days have felt as if a major typhoon is approaching!
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Is it always this windy in Tokyo? 2018/6/30 01:14
The combination of heat, dry air, such harsh wind, and it continuing for days is absolutely abnormal. The news even tells us that the rainy season has technically ended in Greater Tokyo, which is definitely too early.

Typhoons usually last for only half a day, and comes with rain. In spring, we have windy days consecutively, but it's not as hot. The only better thing about this weather (at least in Greater Tokyo) is that it's not as dusty as spring, and it's cooler in the shade than late summer.

I don't know if it has to do with the weather, but a lot of people around me are suffering sore throats. Don't forget your portable bottle of water, and avoid the sun unless you're swimming!
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread