Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto to Tokyo on Dec 31? 2018/7/9 14:09
Current itinerary will see me attempting to travel from Kyoto to Tokyo on Dec 31st with a JR Pass.

Most advice online seems to be about how difficult travel out of Tokyo would be at that time. But I'm not sure how I would go heading in. The New Year period is starting early this year, so is it possible the 31st will be less nuts?

I arrive in Japan on December 18 and will be able to book a ticket from that date. Is there likely to be a seat left on a Dec 31 train?

Should I abandon the whole idea?

by Equin  

Re: Kyoto to Tokyo on Dec 31? 2018/7/9 19:04
Yeah if you can book at ticket earlier. Then great.

Otherwise just stand in the non reserved cars if you are to travel on that day.
by hakata14 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto to Tokyo on Dec 31? 2018/7/10 09:25
That is the Monday, so not as crazy as the two days beforehand.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto to Tokyo on Dec 31? 2018/7/10 12:39
That is the Monday, so not as crazy as the two days beforehand.

Well, it's 31st December, so most people are on holidays, so the day of the week does not affect the crowds. In general, long distance trains including Shinkansen is vacant on 1st January. Most crowded days would be 29th and 30th for from Tokyo direction, as mentioned, and 2nd and 3rd for to Tokyo direction. 31st would be still crowded for from Tokyo, so if the OP want to go to Tokyo on 31st, it will be probably OK, but the safer option should be travel on the 1st Jan from Kyoto to Tokyo. You can reserve seat on arrival and if possible, be flexible for the travel dates.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread