Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nikko Day Passes 2018/7/9 23:18
Hi.
We will be staying at Shinjuku and would like to visit Nikko on a day trip.
Understand there is a direct train from Shinjuku to Nikko, but the normal Tobu Pass is not valid for this route.
Is there an alternative pass that may cover this route ?
It would be very time consuming for us t have to travel from Shinjuku to Asakusa in the morning just to catch the train to Nikko.
We are Ok stopping at Asakusa on our way back from Nikko to Tokyo.
Thank you.
by lifesucketh  

Re: Nikko Day Passes 2018/7/10 21:34
According to this page https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3805.html the JR Tokyo Wide Pass, JR East Nagano Niigata Area Pass, JR East Tohoku Area Pass and JR East South Hokkaido Pass do cover the entire trip.
by YonatanFriis rate this post as useful

Re: Nikko Day Passes 2018/7/10 23:51
Thanks.
Unfortunately I will not have any of those passes and I think it is not justifiable to buy one of them just for the day trip to Nikko.
I read that there used to be JR Tobu Nikko Kinugawa Free Pass, but its sale has stopped.
Does anyone if there is a replacement pass ?

Also, is there a bus pass for use in Nikko ?
Intend to visit Toshugo shrine, Shinkyo Bridge and Akechidaira Plateau (ropeway).
Not sure if a bus pass pays off for the above journeys.

Thanks.
by lifesucketh rate this post as useful

Re: Nikko Day Passes 2018/7/11 01:49
Yes, there are bus passes you can buy in Nikko that cover all the tourist destinations. They have a booth and maps right in the train station as you get off, so easy to find and purchase. I beleive we paid 600y for a pass to cover the places you mentioned.

There is a train from Shinjuku to Tobu-Nikko station, but it only runs twice per day (At 730 and 800) and is 4000y each way. It takes about 2 hours. The Tokyo Wide pass for 10000y covers the journey, so if that pass covered anywhere else you are going, you might as well buy that pass as you'd be spending 8000y round trip anyway.

If you wanted to save some money, it's only about 25 minutes and a couple subway transfers to get to Tobu Asakusa station (up the stairs attached to the Ginza line Asakusa station). And if you pay the small fee for the upgraded direct train from there, it's 110 minutes. So thats 120 min direct, vs about 135 min + transfer time to save maybe 5000y. Depending on the number of people in your party, that can add up.

If you can't make the above 730/800 times for the direct train, you might as well just go to Asakusa and take that trip anyway, because the other options from Shinjuku are just as slow.

There may be somewhere else besides Asakusa that you can connect to the Tobu trains available with the Tobu Nikko passes, but I am not familiar with them and I am not sure if it is easy to buy the passes there. It is definitely well signed and easy to purchase at the Asakusa station.
by Me2 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Nikko Day Passes 2018/7/11 09:21
The Tokyo Wide Pass (3-days) is slightly cheaper than the trip using JR, but the Tobu service from Asakusa is cheaper.
Going to the ropeway/plateau, the 600 yen ticket doesn't get that far. The 2000 yen pass covers the round trip, and is slightly less than individual fares.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Nikko Day Passes 2018/7/11 22:28
If you have an All Area Pass where do you buy the fare ticket for the express train? Is it just at the ticket machine or can you buy it at the Information Center along with the pass? Since you save 20% by having a pass I assume it is at the information center, but then where do you buy the ticket back to Asakusa from Nikko?
by YonatanFriis rate this post as useful

Re: Nikko Day Passes 2018/7/15 14:15
Thanks all for the replies.
Can I just buy the Nikko Pass on the day itself ?
Presumably it will not be 'sold out' ?

I do understand that I can purchase it online, but I am a bit hesitant to make an advance purchase as my trip will depend on the weather forecast.

Thanks.
by lifesucketh rate this post as useful

reply to this thread