Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR pass, wearing shorts and Nara deer 2018/7/12 01:11
Hello
Our 2nd time in Japan -first was in winter time and we enjoyed very much
now travelling end of July till August travelling with a teenager- we know its hot and humid but we will try to catch all summer events - and do not have another vacation time
2 questions
1. Is it OK for a teenage girl to wear Short pants?
2. our itinerary( in days)
1. kansai airport- universal studios hotel - all around osaka (namba osaka station etc.) -hotel usj
2. day in usj- kyoto
3. kyoto 2 full days and one more day out for kyoto-fushimi inari- uji- nara -kyoto ( 2nd time in nara only to see the deer )
4.kyoto - nagoya - (nagoya area)
5. nagoya-toyota kaikan- nagoya- tokyo shinjuku
6-8.3 days tokyo staying shinjuku( including odaiba )
9 shinjuku-kakunodate- akita
10 akita- aomori- aomori -morioka( have an hotel did not find in aomori due to the events)
11 morioka- sendai ( stop)- sendai- shinjuku
12 shinjuku- narita
thought buying a 7 day JRpass and to use it from 5 ( nagoya-toyota- nagoya- shinjuku)- till 11morioka- sendai - sendai shinjuku )
Is it a good idea ?
and what about 1-4 is there another area pass we can use? or what is the best way paying around? what do you suggest?
3. Are the deer free in Nara during summer time - till what time ??
Thanks for your time
by 2ndtime japan (guest)  

Re: JR pass, wearing shorts and Nara deer 2018/7/12 13:52
Hi. Travelled with 2 teenaged daughters a number of times, I dont think short shorts are an issue though Japanese girls often wear stockings under their (insanely) short shorts.

The Nara deer are out and about all day, I think that they wander up into the forest a bit at night though I've seen them on the road a few times in the dark. Otherwise they tend to always be about in the daylight hours, I'd see them before 6AM and at twilight.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass, wearing shorts and Nara deer 2018/7/12 15:12
Days 4-11 for your 7-day pass.
Shorts - fine.
Deer - they are wild deer, not sure what you mean by "free".
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass, wearing shorts and Nara deer 2018/7/12 16:16
Days 4-11 for your 7-day pass.

Sorry, Days 4-11 are 8 days. So the OP need to pay for Kyoto to Nagoya separately and use the pass from Day 5.

Deer - they are wild deer, not sure what you mean by "free".

Yes. Wild deer tend to go back to the mountain forest to sleep together and come to town for food in the morning. Yes, they commute every day, like many Japanese :).
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass, wearing shorts and Nara deer 2018/7/12 17:03
You won't be charged to access the deer. In fact, sometimes you'll feel like you can't get rid of them. You can purchase crackers to feed them for a couple hundred yen.
by Gregalor rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass, wearing shorts and Nara deer 2018/7/12 18:03
Actually, people do recommend you cover up if you want to dig deep down at the deer park.
https://deerinfo.pro/cautions/

The above site says that, while it doesn't matter what you wear as long as you're only giving away a pack of deer crackers and maybe taking one photo, if a whole flock of deer comes for you, you will end up licked or bitten or have dirt smeared on. So it's best to wear something you'd wear when you don't mind getting dirty. And if you're going to places like Tobihino or Wakakusayama for deer, where you'll be walking on grass, you should wear sneakers.

To avoid being bitten, don't upset or tease the deer. The other day, TV was showing tourists pretending to give crackers just to get a nice photo, but the deer hate that. If you're giving crackers, just give them to them.

Note that there are special summer events at the deer park too.
https://www.visitnara.jp/venues/E02201/

By the way, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Japanese girls as young as teenagers hardly wear stockings under her pants. The trend I see in the streets for teens wearing shorts is bare legs, socks and sneakers. This is a Google image I got by searching "tokyo teen short pants" in Japanese.
https://www.google.co.jp/search?biw=1366&bih=635&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=8BdH...

Hope you have fun!
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass, wearing shorts and Nara deer 2018/7/12 23:11
Thanks all for your insights
I learned a lot and even will try catching the light up festival in Nara
only one more question for now
Is there a ticket /pass FOR THE FIRST PART kansai- usj-osaka-usj- kyoto area including nara -kyoto -nagoya ? till part 5 ( when Ill use the JR pass)
by 2ndtime japan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass, wearing shorts and Nara deer 2018/7/13 06:50
Is there a ticket /pass FOR THE FIRST PART kansai- usj-osaka-usj- kyoto area including nara -kyoto -nagoya ? till part 5 ( when Ill use the JR pass)

The most expensive part of this itinerary is Kyoto to Nagoya, if you take Shinkansen (5790 yen). The only pass which covers this section is nation wide "Japan Rail Pass". So if you want to buy a rail pass, it should be Japan Rail Pass 14 days instead of 7 days.

Japan Rail Pass 14 days 46390 yen
Japan Rail Pass 7 days 29110 yen

The price difference is 17280 yen. If you get this pass you will save some other parts such as KIX to USJ, USJ to Kyoto, Kyoto/Nara return and Tokyo to Narita airport, but I don't think it will pay off. So you would better get the IC card (ICOCA) and a separate ticket for Kyoto to Nagoya.

Re: JR pass, wearing shorts and Nara deer 2018/7/13 08:28
@frog1954 - re the day 4 to day 11 - quite correct - my mistake, miscounted.
I was thinking the 14 day pass might not be a bad idea as the total travel is somewhere over Y60,000, and the Kansai area pass excludes the link between regions (to Nagoya), but most of your travel up to Nagoya is pretty low cost and unless you had another longer trip in that area you could co a combination of tickets/IC card and the 7 day pass.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: JR pass, wearing shorts and Nara deer 2018/7/13 12:43
Thanks all
So if I understood well I have to buy
1.Nagoya-Kyoto ticket at the ticket counter?
2. and all other parts kix-usj-osaka-kyoto . kyoto -fushimi inari-uji- nara- kyoto use icoca tap and go?

I have found an old Pasmo ticket from last trip - can I use it instead of Icoca ?

Re: JR pass, wearing shorts and Nara deer 2018/7/13 13:41
1.Nagoya-Kyoto ticket at the ticket counter?

Yes. You can buy it at the ticket counter in JR Kyoto station, and even in any JR stations.

2. and all other parts kix-usj-osaka-kyoto . kyoto -fushimi inari-uji- nara- kyoto use icoca tap and go?

Basically yes, but if you take the limousine bus from KIX to USJ, this bus does not allow you to use the IC cards though the English page says nothing about it. Japanese page says clearly that they do not accept IC cards. I am not sure whether you can purchase ticket by credit card, but you might better have some yen beforehand.

http://www.hanshin-bus.co.jp/limo_en/index_k_tenpozan1.html

Of course you can take JR or Nankai/JR using IC card.

I have found an old Pasmo ticket from last trip - can I use it instead of Icoca ?

Yes, no problem.

Re: JR pass, wearing shorts and Nara deer 2018/7/13 15:40
Thanks a lot

reply to this thread